My Story

I never comment on the forums but I told myself one day I would feel comfortable telling my story here. Today is that day. I had been heavy for some time. I really starting gaining weight when I hit 15. My biggest weight gains were after I graduated high school, during college, and during my first professional job. I liked to hide with food. Suffering through multiple traumatic events in my life, food was a way for me to hide my feelings and not deal. A little over 2 years ago I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack (grandfather had one, dad had one, 2 aunts, an uncle and a brother). It ended up just being a panic attack but the doctor told me why blood sugar "was a little high." That was enough to scare me (grandfather had been diabetic). The next day I stopped drinking pop. I use to drink one or two 2 liters in a day. Within 3 months I had lost around 20 pounds and gone down a pant size.

The next step, 2 years ago this January 7th, I was told by a friend to stop saying I was going to join a gym. Either do it or stop talking about it. I bought a scale that day. That night I weighed 369.9 pounds. I balled my eyes out knowing I had lost around 20 pounds already. I had been close to 400 pounds. At 6'6" I had always told myself I carried my weight well. No one believed I was that heavy. I knew it was time. That same night I joined PF. I also cut out all fast food and pizza and started using MyFitnessPal. I stuck with a strict regime of going to the gym 6 days a week and eating better (but also indulging every now and again). I also wanted to run my first 5k that March. In training for that 5k 2 months later I had lost 48 pounds and ran the entire 5k in 38 minutes.

To make a long story short, I got addicted. I have done 10 5ks, 2 8ks, 2 10ks, walked the Detroit International 1/2 marathon in October of 2015 and I RAN THE ENTIRE 1/2 marathon this past year. Throughout the entire process I have lost around 160 pounds as I am now at 232 pounds. I would like to lose another 33 and hit Onderland but that is more a long long long term goal. I have been able to sustain my weight loss for a year. When I started I was a 50" waist and wore 4xl shirts. I now am a 36 waist and wear Large.XL. I enjoy shopping again. I can wear my 6th grade science camp shirt! Was this an easy process? Hell no. Anyone that tells you it is is lying to you. Is it worth it? 1,000%! I can play with my nephew and nieces now.

Throughout my weight loss, there were days I left to go to the gym and sat in the parking lot crying asking myself why am I doing this when I know it won't work. I looked to this thread for hope and it is where I found my strength. That is, until I realized I had the strength in me all along. In losing the weight, I let go of the years of pain I held onto. I learned to love and care about myself. If I can be a motivation to one person to find their inner strength then this post is worth it. You can do this. You matter. Do it for yourself.

I am still working on accepting I have lost my weight. I definitely suffered from phantom fat and still have trouble seeing my weight loss some days...but regardless I will never go back. Everything has been worth it.
mnwhe6gof2ty.jpg
yryphwjl6bxo.jpg
0qp186uh3hav.jpg

Replies

• kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Amazing and very inspirational, thank you for sharing your story, and being real.
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Slappydap
    Slappydap Posts: 36 Member
    What a fabulous success story you are. You should be so proud & for the record, you have definitely inspired me, thankyou x
  • pogoandpanda
    pogoandpanda Posts: 4 Member
    Amazing and inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing your journey.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Wonderful. Inspiring. Awesome.
    An excellent first post.

Cheers, h.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Wow what a transformation!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    thanks for sharing....I'm halfway through my journey and needed some strength today. Great job you got your life back!!
  • vkmango4
    vkmango4 Posts: 161 Member
    Thank you for being so real. You've inspired me to not give up. Congrats...you look great!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    You sir are the reason I was successful after spending a lifetime morbidly obese. It was from finding this site and reading real people's success stories like yours that gave me the "f it! I can do it too and I will prove that I can" mindset and motivation!! Kudos to you for posting, this will help many people :)

You look great and you must feel amazing too!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Wow! Great job!

Thanks for sharing your story!
  • nanainlaca
    nanainlaca Posts: 42 Member
    Good for you!
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Your smile in the last picture tells the whole story. What an amazing journey. Thanks for sharing.
  • Tanith1992
    Tanith1992 Posts: 16 Member
    Wow! What an inspirational story, many congratulations.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Thank you,stories like yours keep me logging in everyday,working hard and believing it will happen for me.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    You've inspired us all to keep going. Thank you.
  • psnowbirdie
    psnowbirdie Posts: 18 Member
    What an honest and inspiring story. You look fantastic!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Wow - job well done!
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    Amazing story Pal! Thanks for sharing and making this message board a great inspiration for all os us. Keep up the good work!
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Amazing story, well done. A great inspiration
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 874 Member
    Just amazing!!! Cudos to you man....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!