Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Replies

• dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Anything that doesn't follow the basic science of consuming fewer calories than one burns. The rest is a personal choice and each individual has to find what works for them.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    * Starvation mode
    * lifting makes girls bulky
    * don't lift until you've lost a little weight
    * don't run/walk if you're too fat
    * The pasta diet everyone was doing 17 years ago (at least everyone in Iceland)
    * The Cambridge soup diet where you eat 415 calories per day!!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    -Carbs are bad
    -You must eat breakfast/small meals
    -Sugar is the devil
    -You must eat a certain way or you won't lose weight/calories don't matter
    -You have to detox
    -Use this wrap/waist trainer/laxative disguised as a miracle pill to lose 5 lbs instantly and shape your figure
    -Every MLM scheme
    -Women shouldn't lift weights

Weirdly enough, the starvation mode one doesn't bother me so much. It's stupid, but IMO it's not as damaging or derailing as those others are. My biggest pet peeve though? All this nonsense with diet soda and cancer and insulin and toxins. IDK why, but it drives me up the wall.

If sugar is indeed not the devil, then what pray tell is in devil's food cake, hmmm?

Ahhh...but is sugar not also in angel food cake???

0gdsdked5nae.gif

For many years...I've been living a lie. :(
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    def. the sugar and carbs being the reason people are fat! that's so dumb!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse, where apparently all you drink for 10+ days is acetic acid, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, then take a laxative to blow it all out your kitten. I've heard a lot of stupid ideas, but this takes the cake for pure, sheer idiocy. I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude over the sufferings of certain Master Cleansers as they scour their bowels. Does that make me a bad person?

I reported a case like this to the FDA this week - multiple deaths related to over-ingestion of vinegar. The extent of damage done to the GI was disturbing.

Seriously!!? I know from sorting through some of the lit that it can affect your teeth and wreak some other havoc, but I didn't realize people were dying from it. There used to have some crazy ACV threads going about a year ago, back before 'Nam, but I don't think there's been a good one recently. There were worms coming out of people's noses and EVERYTHING. Good times.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27421692

Here is the article referenced. Part of my function is searching literature databases for specific search terms and as acetic acid is one of our ANDAs this came up. Note that the cases identified within the article are not specific to the volume ingested other than "large quantities".

This is white distilled vinegar, which contains ~5% acetic acid.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Cleansing and juicing. I actually don't know if juicing is a weight loss myth. I haven't looked it up, but it just sounds like a bad idea.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    My personal all time favorite

"Well I'm happy CICO works for you, but it doesn't for me" - signed Every Special Snowflake.

Ha! I got this one tonight!

I had that same fight with a coworker yesterday!!! It's everywhere!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    "Weight loss happens in the kitchen not wherever you exercise." :trollface:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited January 2017
    Losing weight is complex.
This discussion has been closed.