I have lost 10 lbs from just having a calorie deficit! Will I now have to start exercising??

Options
I posted a question the other day about calorie deficit because I had been doing it for a week but I became unsure about it. Now I see that it really works! Since I have lost 10 lbs of fat do I need to start exercising so I don't hit a plateau?

Replies

• newphilly123
    newphilly123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ALSO WANNA SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED MY LAST QUESTION :)
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Plateaus occur regardless to be honest; it's just nature, true physiological change takes at minimum two weeks to set in and in some people a lot longer, so generally, only really worry if your plateau extends past those two weeks.

Now in terms of exercise, it's important due to the fact that our bodies want to be efficient machines, our bodies will naturally adjust given time to any situation or circumstance that we put them in - i.e with a calorie deficit, your BMR will slowly come down, you may have started with your body burning 2000 calories a day, but now it's only burning 1900 calories a day because it's adapted to the new food intake and ultimately reduced performance in certain areas to adjust/cope.

Exercise plays the part of kicking your BMR into drive, telling your body that you still need that performance and ultimately asking your body to use its own stores of fat to fuel it. In essence what you're doing is ensuring you remain at a calorie deficit for the period of time required to lose your weight ( and in some cases, stages are preferential ) through spiking the amount of calories your body burns each day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been losing weight for 6 months and only walking 2-3 x a week. I just started strength training. No plateaus.

Research suggest plateaus could be diet fatigue. At first folks are strictly adhering to their diet and after a period of time start getting a little lax and they maybe nibble a little more.

As you lose weight your body burns less calories as there's less of you. After every 10-20 lbs you would need to adjust calorie intake.

One could lose weight without exercise, many here have. However, exercising earns you a few more calories, lifts mood, is good for you in general and your body will thank you:)

I say find something you like, start off slow, see some progress and you'll begin to enjoy it.

ETA- the first week of weight loss is usually a lot of water so be prepared for that to slow down soon.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs and I eat my exercise calories back so it doesn't really count towards my weight loss. Lots of people have lost lots of weight without exercise. It's not adviced, as exercise is good for you.. but it isn't NEEDED for weight loss.

Also, you say you've lost 10lbs of fat and have only been doing this for a week? That's great, and I don't want to burst your bubble... but a majority of that was water weight and not fat, and don't be disappointed when your weight loss slows to 1-2lbs a week :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I lost all my extra weight without intentional exercise. It's good for overall health but it's not really a factor for weight loss besides it giving you a few more calories to eat.

Also-as you lose weight you'll need to adjust your calorie intake. Most people adjust every 5-10lbs so you're probably at the point where you should re-run your stats and get an updated calorie target.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit no matter how you create it. If you've lost 10lbs just keep doing what you're doing.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness (and the bonus is you get to eat a bit more if you do exercise).

You're young--if you get into the habit of exercising now, you'll be in that much better shape when you get to be my age!
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Exercise will help you feel good, be a healthy person, and keep losing while not having to restrict food intake more and more. I know people lose lots of weight without exercise, so it's obviously possible. Personally, I can't imagine continuing to lose without having some exercise calories to eat. I work out every day and this enables me to eat about 1500 calories a day to hit the net calorie target I need to lose .5 a week. Any less I'd be starving! But I'm short and close to my goal weight.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I posted a question the other day about calorie deficit because I had been doing it for a week but I became unsure about it. Now I see that it really works! Since I have lost 10 lbs of fat do I need to start exercising so I don't hit a plateau?

You lost 10 pounds in a week? If so then it is likely not to be fat unless you started at 400 pounds.

You never "need" to exercise, but it is good for health and longevity. It also allows you to eat a little bit more and is very good for mental health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Stephen Hawking recommends people be more physically active: http://www.businessinsider.com/steven-hawking-we-sit-too-much-obesity-how-to-fix-it-2016-12