Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    New one for me, but aspartame is made of weed killer.

Is that because of the Monsanto connection?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Is that because of the Monsanto connection?

She brought that up. Every one of her posts are full of extreme exaggeration so I can see how she made that connection.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    The idea that certain techniques do not work...while they are clearly working for some. Also, the idea that because a certain technique works for some it will work for all.

Another issue which is not necessarily a myth is that while the science of a certain technique may be sound, the application of that technique may not practical for some.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

My head hit my desk when I read that one. I just can't even with that whole thread today.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    The Master Cleanse, where apparently all you drink for 10+ days is acetic acid, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, then take a laxative to blow it all out your kitten. I've heard a lot of stupid ideas, but this takes the cake for pure, sheer idiocy. I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude over the sufferings of certain Master Cleansers as they scour their bowels. Does that make me a bad person?

I literally just spit tea out of my mouth when I read that! You should have put a disclaimer first, "Do not read while eating/drinking." :p
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Any of the fads/trends that are along the lines of do this one thing and you'll magically lose weight (IE sprinkle this stuff on your food, take this pill before you eat, drink this shake for breakfast, etc.). The myth that anything but actual hard work and effort will make you lose weight is just the worst.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Starvation mode and meal timing! But actually starvation mode really does happen for those under 12% body fat as proved by the Army Doctors in a study that only the military can do because they literally own your butt. haha.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Oh, and I'll throw my vote to: "carbs get stored directly as fat."

With a dishonorable mention to the general "junk food makes your body work less efficiently, so you store more fat" and its conjugate "eat clean to make your metabolism more efficient, so you lose more fat." Backwards, Francis: more efficient = less energy used. Less energy used = more energy stored as fat.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

My head hit my desk when I read that one. I just can't even with that whole thread today.

As soon as I read it, I knew I had to add it here.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    All of them
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Carbs are evil. Lifting is going to make you manly if you're a woman. If the scale isn't budging, you're not losing. Cardio is the only way to really burn fat.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Lots of great contestants thrown into the ring... Are we going to debate which one is truly the worst? >:)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Lots of great contestants thrown into the ring... Are we going to debate which one is truly the worst? >:)

I think the whole carbs/added sugar being evil is by far the most pervasive and inane. There are some close seconds though.
This discussion has been closed.