Fasting blood sugar results

Patti2008
Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
Last year fasting was 104. Today after 3 months LC it is 101 12 1/2 hrs fasting. Question for type 2 or insulin resistant people: would 2 hr post meal sugars be the best way to see where I really am? I'm thinking of getting a glucometer.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    I would recommend anyone who is diabetic or even IR have a glucometer. See this link:

https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

Also, for T2 and IR in particular, the PP reading is more important than the fasting reading. The dawn phenomenon can continue forever, but avoiding the large spikes after eating will have huge benefits. See these links:

https://chriskresser.com/when-your-normal-blood-sugar-isnt-normal-part-1/
    and
    https://chriskresser.com/when-your-“normal”-blood-sugar-isn’t-normal-part-2/

In addition, Dr Adam Naly, who is IR and was previously T2, says his fasting BG is still consistently around 105 every morning but he has been able to get his A1c down to 5.2. He says this is not uncommon for those with IR who have gone keto.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @cstehansen, those are great resources, especially the first one - best discussion I've seen on why and how to test. Thanks for the tips!

• Patti2008
    Thanks cstehanson. Excellent resources. I have not been diagnosed with type 2 or IR, but suspect I am there or headed there which is why I went LC. I am labeled as "impaired fasting glucose". I'd like to get a more complete picture of what is going on and will get a glucometer.
  • cstehansen
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    Thanks cstehanson. Excellent resources. I have not been diagnosed with type 2 or IR, but suspect I am there or headed there which is why I went LC. I am labeled as "impaired fasting glucose". I'd like to get a more complete picture of what is going on and will get a glucometer.

That term almost always means pre-diabetic and most of the time means IR, although there are other causes which I have found out personally recently.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Last year fasting was 104. Today after 3 months LC it is 101 12 1/2 hrs fasting. Question for type 2 or insulin resistant people: would 2 hr post meal sugars be the best way to see where I really am? I'm thinking of getting a glucometer.

Once you have a glucometer, I recommend both 1 and 2 hours tests. People with truly normal glucose metabolism rarely go above 120. Testing only at 2 hours misses the peak of the spike. My personal goal is to keep my BG below 40 at all times (and preferaly below 120)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    neohdiver wrote: »

Once you have a glucometer, I recommend both 1 and 2 hours tests. People with truly normal glucose metabolism rarely go above 120. Testing only at 2 hours misses the peak of the spike. My personal goal is to keep my BG below 40 at all times (and preferaly below 120)

Below 140 probably?
  • Patti2008
    Good advice needier. Thank you!
  • Patti2008
    neohdiver! Despise autocorrect!
  • RalfLott
    Bűmp
  • Patti2008
    I read the Chris Kresser links. He says sustained blood sugars of 140! destroy pancreatic cells! That is scary. Got a meter today, going to read the instruction book tonight and start tomorrow.
  • RalfLott
    I read the Chris Kresser links. He says sustained blood sugars of 140! destroy pancreatic cells! That is scary. Got a meter today, going to read the instruction book tonight and start tomorrow.

Here are Dr. Bernstein's tips (from over 110,000 self-tests he's done!)
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/measure-blood-sugar/
  • Patti2008
    Very helpful! Thank you!
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    You'll get in the habit. I still test 4-10x, and I don't really even notice I'm doing it until I run low on strips.

What kind did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    I'm not t2d, I'm sure I am IR. I've began testing my BS when I started keto just to see how food affects me. my FBS is always 95- 103. I always have 2 or 3 shots of black espresso for breakfast and nothing else and if I test again before I leave for work about 2 hours after I wake up I find that it has gone up a few points. 1 to 2 hours after dinner my first/only meal for most days it's right around 82-85. It makes me wonder what it was before I started eating 20g or less carbs a day.
  • Patti2008
    I got the Relion prime at Walmart. Chis Kresser's article recommended it and I sure liked the price. I forgot to get the control solution to calibrate the meter (slaps forehead!) so back to the store today.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Question for all you smart people: if someone (who shall remain nameless) were to have a carb binge one day, you would expect FBG to be higher the next morning, right? If that same nameless person were to eat, say, <30g carbs the next day, would you expect FBG to still be high the morning after that?
  • RalfLott
    Don't hit too many gnats on your forehead - you can pick up some Twinkies and Hi-C whilst you're there!
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Question for all you smart people: if someone (who shall remain nameless) were to have a carb binge one day, you would expect FBG to be higher the next morning, right? If that same nameless person were to eat, say, <30g carbs the next day, would you expect FBG to still be high the morning after that?

For Day 3, yes, if the remorseful unknown person were to go on a penitent 20-mile hike on Day 2.

Otherwise... it depends. Diabetic?
  • cstehansen

I am one of those who may overdue it on the self experimentation. What I am finding is that PP readings may be good for seeing how certain foods affect the short term, FBG readings take making and keeping changes for several days to really see full impact. That is my personal experience so not sure if that is normal or not.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »

For Day 3, yes, if the remorseful unknown person were to go on a penitent 20-mile hike on Day 2.

Otherwise... it depends. Diabetic?

Yes, T2D. So you're saying not to expect lower FBG for 72 hours instead of 48? I. . . um, I mean. . . the nameless person is trying to keep blood glucose down, but FBG is always sketchy. Normally it is in the 110's-120's.

Carb binge Thursday (ate candy), Friday 13g carbs (total, not net), and FBG Saturday morning of 156. :(