should i set a weight maintenance range?

Options
Is setting a weight maintenance range is good, like im 65 kilos currently and i want to set my range to 65-70 kilos is good for weight maintenance? Thanks

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Definitely. Weight fluctuates every day, so a weight range is necessary. You'll go crazy trying to stick to one number. I personally set mine for 108-114lbs (48.98-51.71 kg), so my range is narrower than yours, but if 65-70kg keeps you happy and sane, then I think it is a good range to go by. Congratulations on reaching maintenance! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Fruitcake1972
    Fruitcake1972 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I no longer have a set weight range, I go by my clothing. (if its tight I know I am too heavy). The problem with weight is that it can seem negative when you are muscle building and becoming more toned. - Although saying that size 10-12 nowadays seems quite big? are we fooling ourselves?? :/
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    100% yes set a range not a set target for maintenance. Mine is 124- 129 lbs. It shows if I drop below it I'm not eating enough and if I go above it consistently it's time to log properly again!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    5kg, 7% is pretty wide range. Suggest that 2kg, 3% is a good range that makes the difference easier to manage. If I tried to maintain 5kg range then it would take 5-10 days of persistent attention to reduce from max to minimum - that increases chances of discouragement and quitting.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your weight will fluctuate whether you set a range or not. Some people have large fluctuations, some are relatively small.

I prefer just to set an upper intervention number that initially triggers increased vigilance and if I stay above it triggers action - which after Christmas is where I am right now. :(

A range is a bit redundant for me as there's little danger of me accidentally losing too much weight as I like my food too much.

I have an upper limit that if I reach it, it's back to weight loss mode. I have way too much fat left to worry about a lower limit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, but that does seem a pretty wide range. I typically go up and down 3 pounds. so I have a 5 pound range. If I go under or over that for more than a day it probably reflects real gain or loss. (BTW, I've been maintaining 4+ years).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Yes, to a range (or upper warning limit) depending on whether you're likely to under-fuel as well as over-eat.

But to be explicit about what some others have (IMO) implied: Base your range or limit on your typical daily weight fluctuations.

Have you been weighing daily for a month or so, including days with some acceptable-to-you higher consumption, and some heavy workout days as well as some rest days? Then you have the data you need. If you don't have that date, start weighing yourself daily (first thing in the AM, nekkid as born, post-bathroom, pre-food, pre-water) for a couple of weeks or so (including those varied kinds of days).

Then set your range or upper limit at a bit more than the typical weight fluctuations you've seen. Baseball stadiums don't put the warning track 6 inches outside the base lines, or 6 inches from the wall. The put it where it'll warn in time, but not over-warn.

Even then, I agree with the idea that you aren't above your upper limit until it lasts at least 2-3 days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I no longer have a set weight range, I go by my clothing. (if its tight I know I am too heavy). The problem with weight is that it can seem negative when you are muscle building and becoming more toned. - Although saying that size 10-12 nowadays seems quite big? are we fooling ourselves?? :/

Fruitcake, the problem with this is vanity sizing, where we get larger but the size stays the same. I stayed a size 10 when my weight went from 125 to 175 pounds. It was easy to fool myself into thinking I wasn't really that fat. When I had to buy a size 12 I finally did something. I still can wear my old size 10s now that I'm at 130, but if I buy new, I wear a 4 or 6. Crazy.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Fruitcake, the problem with this is vanity sizing, where we get larger but the size stays the same. I stayed a size 10 when my weight went from 125 to 175 pounds. It was easy to fool myself into thinking I wasn't really that fat. When I had to buy a size 12 I finally did something. I still can wear my old size 10s now that I'm at 130, but if I buy new, I wear a 4 or 6. Crazy.

So true about the sizing changes. I keep a pair of Guess brand jeans (circa 1993) as my "test jeans." I'm very close to zipping them up. They are a size 10. My current (bought within the last year) jeans are size 4, and they're loose everywhere, and that brand doesn't make smaller :| I'm lean, but not tiny. I feel for the truly petite ladies out there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    yep, having a goal weight range is a great idea :smile: we never would be one particular weight anyway as our weight fluctuates daily.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So true about the sizing changes. I keep a pair of Guess brand jeans (circa 1993) as my "test jeans." I'm very close to zipping them up. They are a size 10. My current (bought within the last year) jeans are size 4, and they're loose everywhere, and that brand doesn't make smaller :| I'm lean, but not tiny. I feel for the truly petite ladies out there.

I am thankful I'm short. Because that makes shopping in the children's departments a feasible option for me. My size 0's are getting loose on me.

Interestingly, my current heavy duty winter jacket is a hand me down from daughter. She outgrew it when she had a growth spurt at 14. It's a children's size.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

This drives me nuts. I just bought new bras and they seem to go in the opposite direction. I bought two C cups, one D cup and one DD cup! The C cups are bigger than the other two. Same size around though, lol.
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I set a high # or as I like to think of it as my "Oh My God No" # I haven't seen it on the scale in over a year! Hurray for me, I have no low #, I really am not worried I might accidentally lose weight