Free as a bird

Flybeetle
Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
I thought I'd start up a thread because I get so excited by my OMAD discoveries, yet also challenged and I could use a place to share the experiences...

your name or preferred username; Fly
...your weight: 57.4kg
...your height: 1.64m
...any past struggles you've faced or are facing: see below
...your goal weight range: 56kg (initially)
...the time of your OMAD: 6pm-ish (can't eat too much at once so I spread it out over a few hours at the moment)
...and your OMAD start date: 08jan'17, work in progress!

I'm doing OMAD mainly because of the freedom that comes with it.
A few weeks ago, I was lying in bed and felt so extremely exasperated. I thought, I want to stay slim for the rest of my life, but surely that can't mean that I have to log, and schedule, and resist, and think about food THIS much for the rest of my life!! It's exhausting and often a struggle. It costs me so much brain space and willpower to not gain weight.
In the following weeks I read more and more about OMAD, something that seemed impossible for me to ever get to, but it also seemed like such freedom, such a relief.....so here I am!
(The below is mostly copied from my post on the 'introduce yourself thread from yesterday)
I have been logging with MFP for 4 years, lost 4kg straight away and was at my happiest weight before falling pregnant. Didn't gain too much weight through sheer willpower but can't seem to shake those last kilos again (I know I'm lucky to not have a whole lot to lose; however carving off those last kilos would still mean a lot). The willpower to fight cravings and hunger just isn't the same after a baby, perhaps.
When I discovered IF 16/8 about 3 months ago I found the biggest benefit to be the relief from thinking about, scheduling, craving, and resisting food. For half the day. It still left me with 8 hours of this "food restlessness". I admire people who can just have a massive breakfast and then not think about food until 1pm. I'm not like that. I want more of that peace and calm I get during my fast, it feels like a holiday!
I read about others on another IF group talk about OMAD, and I have been slowly trying it out. I feel a bit like I'm committing a crime because, other than my husband, no one knows I'm skipping out on the daily food stress-train by not eating during the day whilst everyone else is thinking about lunch, pondering their next snack, or trying to resist the office cookies. I know lots of people would think it's weird that I'm doing this, so that's why I'm glued to this OMAD group where it's the norm, and considered healthy! <

Replies

• Flybeetle
    So far:

Day 1: fasted 18.5 hours (did a upper body strength workout in the am), then my "brain fog" started to scare me and I ate, I could have done a longer fast if I hadn't gotten so worried about how my head felt. I found it hard to eat a full plate though so I had to eat in stages.

Day 2: I fasted 21 hours, a big leap for me but my stomach was absolutely fine thanks to a little coconut oil tip from @blambo_61! Had half a tsp at 4pm in the hope it would also help with the brain fog, but it didn't. I felt "vague", even after eating. I also couldn't get to sleep that night and spent most of the night restless. Perhaps also because I'm really excited about OMAD :) I sure hope tonight is better though.. I took 2 panadols at 2am when I got too frustrated because they help me sleep.

Day 3: I am feeling very tired and have more hunger pangs than usual, perhaps also an effect from the panadols? I struggled through a leg workout around 8am and felt much happier, mentally, after. I'm hoping to make it to 21 hours again today!

Question: Since I had so much time to think last night (the dead of the night is always the best time to make up worries) I started to feel guilty about possibly setting a strange example for my son in regards to how I relate to food. He likes to share his snacks with me but these days I keep saying no. How do you guys feel about OMAD and the message it sends kids? Is there a way you explain it to them? And on that note, what do you guys tell your friends and family?

Thanks for any feedback!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Flybeetle wrote: »
    So far:

Day 1: fasted 18.5 hours (did a upper body strength workout in the am), then my "brain fog" started to scare me and I ate, I could have done a longer fast if I hadn't gotten so worried about how my head felt. I found it hard to eat a full plate though so I had to eat in stages.

Day 2: I fasted 21 hours, a big leap for me but my stomach was absolutely fine thanks to a little coconut oil tip from @blambo_61! Had half a tsp at 4pm in the hope it would also help with the brain fog, but it didn't. I felt "vague", even after eating. I also couldn't get to sleep that night and spent most of the night restless. Perhaps also because I'm really excited about OMAD :) I sure hope tonight is better though.. I took 2 panadols at 2am when I got too frustrated because they help me sleep.

Day 3: I am feeling very tired and have more hunger pangs than usual, perhaps also an effect from the panadols? I struggled through a leg workout around 8am and felt much happier, mentally, after. I'm hoping to make it to 21 hours again today!

Question: Since I had so much time to think last night (the dead of the night is always the best time to make up worries) I started to feel guilty about possibly setting a strange example for my son in regards to how I relate to food. He likes to share his snacks with me but these days I keep saying no. How do you guys feel about OMAD and the message it sends kids? Is there a way you explain it to them? And on that note, what do you guys tell your friends and family?

Thanks for any feedback!

You're doing great!! When I get brain fog it's because I'm not drinking enough. Make sure you drink a lot of water, iced tea, coffee, or any other calorie free beverage. Make sure you get enough sleep. I think you will feel differently. (One of the benefits of OMAD is you sleep much better)

As far as your son goes. My suggestion would be that you don't tell him you're only eating one meal a day.

I don't know how old your son is but after raising three boys and a girl I would say, 'Thank you sweetheart. Mommy is trying to lose a little weight and get healthy so I can have more energy. Let's put it in a container so I can save it until we have dinner and I'll eat it then." I never told my children I was on a diet until they got older.
  • Flybeetle
    Thanks for the advice, I how you approach it with your children, I'll keep that in mind. My son is only just 3 so I doubt he'll ask me about it directly any day soon, I just wanted to have an idea of how to phrase it.
    Yes, I'm drinking a heap of tea and water, it's kind of a hassle having a full bladder all the time but it's worth it!
  • Flybeetle
    edited January 2017
    Yikes, I ended up eating after 18 hours yesterday because I was so low on energy and I kind of found myself grabbing any protein I could get my hands on. I then had cookie dough (I was baking cookies with my son, bit of a challenge whilst attempting to fast but I need to be able to do mother-stuff as well!) and ate quite a bit of that. I felt disappointed and low and assumed the day was a loss but then I re-grouped and just eliminated the second part of my evening meal and ended up being 100cals under my goal for the day! I think that's the wonder of even attempting OMAD, that an unexpected splurge doesn't mean a whole DAY of splurging...if this had happened in the morning it would have been a different story.
    I felt hungry going to bed though and also in the middle of the night so I hope today is not going to be too hard...
    Perhaps I'll start early in the afternoon with a little coconut oil to prevent a sudden dive into food.
    I can't stop reading everyone's post, it really helps me stay focussed on getting to the point where OMAD is easier!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    The brain fog might be because of too much tea also. It has a lot of caffeine in it. If I drink a lot of caffeine, it will space me out big-time so I rarely drink it all all.

You might want to observe how much protein you are putting into yourself and make sure you are getting a minimum amount. You don't want to lose muscle while you are losing fat. I believe getting adequate protein helps me to feel more full and lessen hunger for the next day. Good luck!
  • Flybeetle
    Thanks @blambo_61! I'm drinking herbal tea and only two cups of coffee so I would think I'm ok in regards to caffeine, I'll keep it in mind though.
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    I don't remember what your eating time is, but I would suggest that you eat first (lunch?) and then bake with your son. It's so much easier to resist things when you're full already. ;) Or you can choose to see it as a dessert after your meal, wich one you prefer.
    It's also much better to have sugary things after a meal with good fats, your insulin levels won't spike as high as it would without the food. ACV helps keeping the insulin levels down too from what I read, if you find yourself eating things you haven't planned, drinking a glass of 2 table spoons in water can lower your insulin (fat storing) and minimize the damage.

I know what you mean about reading posts for staying focused :) I have days when I binge YouTube videos about intermittent fasting and its health benefits and I read a lot of old threads here too... It really helps!
  • Flybeetle
    Thank so much @ Anneli_F... I had to smile about the binge watching YouTube videos on IF, I just did that this afternoon whilst my son was napping :)
    Great (and so obvious, had I thought of it) suggestion: eating before baking. Yep. Onto that one!
    So strange how I don't feel that I could possible be eating under 1200 calories...I keep going back and checking the accuracy of my logging. Since I end the day feeling completely satiated my mind finds it hard to believe I could be eating at a deficit. The scales will tell the truth, I guess.
    I also don't feel any more hungry than normally, really. It's just that normally I'd feel hungry WHILST eating a meal or snack every 2 hours... strange business, this eating thing!
  • Anneli_F
    Ha ha, yes I agree, I wouldn't have belived it if I hadn't tried myself! It's amazing!
  • Flybeetle
    Bit low on mood and energy today. Did my two-meal trick to get through: small meal at 3pm then dinner at 6pm. I hope it will get easier...
  • blambo61
    Flybeetle wrote: »
    Bit low on mood and energy today. Did my two-meal trick to get through: small meal at 3pm then dinner at 6pm. I hope it will get easier...

Consistent effort will get you there. You don't have to be perfect each day!
  • Flybeetle
    Thank you, the support helps :)
  • Flybeetle
    edited January 2017
    I had really lost my mojo.. I've been soooo hungry (not even coconut oil helped) for the past few days and the scales hadn't moved at all so I kind of gave up after 18.5 hours yesterday and ate without logging anything.
    However, this morning, after reading all the lovely and warm and inspiring posts of people in this group, I feel ready to keep going!
  • Anneli_F
    edited January 2017
    I belive it was dr Goldhamer from the medical fasting center True North Health that said that the harder people find fasting, the more they actually need it, healthwise. He was talking about water fasting, not intermittent fasting like we do, but as IF is a milder form of fasting and we get almost the same results, just over a longer period of time, I belive this is true for us too. (puh, that was a long sentence ;) )
    He says that people that are insulin resistant get hungrier than those that are insulin sensitive.

Just something to think about, that your struggles actually gives results and that it will become easier as you move towards better insulin levels that will help your body let go of fat.
    I'm cheering on! banana.gif
  • Flybeetle
    Oh, @Anneli_F , you rock, THANK YOU for explaining that! That's just the sort of clarification I need to stay motivated because honestly, I didn't understand why I've still been so hungry. And thank you for cheering me on, makes ALL the difference (especially the banana!! B) )
    Today was actually 50% easier... I'm hopeful!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Anneli_F wrote: »
    I belive it was dr Goldhamer from the medical fasting center True North Health that said that the harder people find fasting, the more they actually need it, healthwise. He was talking about water fasting, not intermittent fasting like we do, but as IF is a milder form of fasting and we get almost the same results, just over a longer period of time, I belive this is true for us too. (puh, that was a long sentence ;) )
    He says that people that are insulin resistant get hungrier than those that are insulin sensitive.

Just something to think about, that your struggles actually gives results and that it will become easier as you move towards better insulin levels that will help your body let go of fat.
    I'm cheering on! banana.gif

I'll check out Dr. Goldhamer. I do think that there is something to this. This year I want to heal the insulin resistance with OMAD, cut out sweets and refined carbs along with losing weight. I was just reading something else about type 2 diabetes and how it slowly progresses over time. I want to keep that from happening and reverse the process. I bought a book called Obesity Code that I need to read by Dr. Fung. He has a website and youtube videos. I love his blogs.
  • Flybeetle
    Thanks @leveejohn for adding your insights! I'm not even overweight (in the middle of normal BMI, but it takes me always trying to eat at a deficit to stay there) yet I used to feel faint and awful if I didn't have food every two hours. If I stretched that to three or four hours I'd feel so jittery and nauseous that I would genuinely believe that if I didn't have a snack then my body would not cope and I might actually faint.
    IF has changed this for me! First, starting 16/8, I'd feel awful from 10am onwards and could barely make it to midday wondering if I was too faint to even drive safely. Then, extending my fast, I went through the same thing again, only now I knew that my body would be ok, that it was just an adjustment.
    I now don't have the foggy brain anymore nor the faint-sensations, but I do still get hungry: stomach growling and cramping for long periods (up to 30min) throughout the day regardless of drinking I HEAP of herbal tea and water.
    I think it's partly from eating at a deficit, I think there's always hunger when trying to lose weight as your body is trying to maintain homeostasis (the same weight), but hopefully some of it is due to adjusting my insulin resistance and it will get easier. Yesterday definitely was!
  • blambo61
    leveejohn wrote: »

I truly believe this. My cravings for food were off-the-charts wild. I do not believe that 'thin' people experience cravings like that. Talking to a smoker who was trying to quit, and listening to his descriptions of his cravings, I knew that I had never experienced anything like that, toward tobacco at least. Everyone experiences cravings differently.

I am feeling quite fortunate that my food cravings subsided after 3 days of OMAD, but they rushed right back IMMEDIATELY on the first splurge day I attempted. Was difficult to stop eating/snacking, and it felt exactly the same as before. After the splurge day, I was most fortunate that the cravings subsided again when I started the fast.

This is why the quote rings true to me. I believe the cravings are tied to our metabolism. If our bodies are still burning sugar, if our bodies depend on frequent meals to keep blood sugars elevated, then the cravings are severe. But if our bodies have switched over to fat metabolism, then blood sugar seems to be much more steady and cravings much, much less severe. My thoughts at least, if someone who knows more about it can add a critique that would be most welcome.

But as I am sure our experiences of cravings are unique to each of us, I am equally as sure our experiences of transitioning over to a fat metabolism are equally as unique. But directionally, it must work the same for all of us. Eventually, doing the same thing, we each should get there, at the rate of progress and level of discomfort that our bodies allow us.

Keep up the great work.

I think you are right.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    leveejohn wrote: »

I truly believe this. My cravings for food were off-the-charts wild. I do not believe that 'thin' people experience cravings like that. Talking to a smoker who was trying to quit, and listening to his descriptions of his cravings, I knew that I had never experienced anything like that, toward tobacco at least. Everyone experiences cravings differently.

I am feeling quite fortunate that my food cravings subsided after 3 days of OMAD, but they rushed right back IMMEDIATELY on the first splurge day I attempted. Was difficult to stop eating/snacking, and it felt exactly the same as before. After the splurge day, I was most fortunate that the cravings subsided again when I started the fast.

This is why the quote rings true to me. I believe the cravings are tied to our metabolism. If our bodies are still burning sugar, if our bodies depend on frequent meals to keep blood sugars elevated, then the cravings are severe. But if our bodies have switched over to fat metabolism, then blood sugar seems to be much more steady and cravings much, much less severe. My thoughts at least, if someone who knows more about it can add a critique that would be most welcome.

But as I am sure our experiences of cravings are unique to each of us, I am equally as sure our experiences of transitioning over to a fat metabolism are equally as unique. But directionally, it must work the same for all of us. Eventually, doing the same thing, we each should get there, at the rate of progress and level of discomfort that our bodies allow us.

Keep up the great work.

I think you are right.

I do also. :)