Zero Carber-give me your meat!

Kirstie155
Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
HI Everyone! I am mostly a lurker here, but I wanted to make a post and thank @FIT_Goat and @sunnybunny for sharing your zero carb journeys with the group, you have made a difference for me and encouraged me to give it another try. The first time I did it I wasn't committed, and just tried it for fun. This time I am planning how to navigate birthdays and outings- that are still a month away!- without drawing attention to myself. I am better prepared mentally, and feel like I am all in this time.

Today is day 5 of zero carb for me. Yesterday I skipped lunch because I was not hungry (and I never skip a meal!) I have been sleeping better, and I feel like my moods are more stable. I have been logging what I eat, but not weighing or measuring. The reason for this is to have a record of my foods, and I have been making notes as well about how I feel. So far my only drawback has been bathroom issues, but I think we have all experienced that with a change to our diets so I am not concerned.

For those that dont know, zero carb is where you eat only from the animal kingdom, no fruits or vegetables, no grains or sweeteners.

I welcome any comments, questions, or discussions :)

Replies

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Would you mind posting links to their ZC journeys for those of us who missed them? I'm wondering how much of a difference there really is between staying under or at 20 net carbs a day and ZC/day?
  • Kirstie155
    edited January 2017
    @RAC56 Sure, I dont know if @sunnybunny posted her journey, but here is @fit_goats :smile:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10323001/the-carnivore-credo/p1

I have also been reading every post of Esmes here: https://zerocarbzen.com/
    and Kelly Hogan's website (shes back!) http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/start/
    Also facebook and reddit have great groups that I have been lurking on to get more information and see how it works for other people.

Zero carb is less about the carbs, and more about eating only from animals. Ridding yourself of cravings and food that our bodies were never meant to eat in the first place. Some people do fine with vegetables and fruits, others don't.

I'd like to use this post to check in with myself and let you all know how its going. Today for breakfast was a random mix of lamb, cooked in lard on the stove with 3 leftover pieces of bacon and a mug of chicken stock. Lunch was a chicken thigh and 3 halves of deviled eggs. Im wondering if I should be using my soybean oil mayo though :o that certainly isn't carnivore!

Today I learned that food isn't entertainment. I didn't want to eat my chicken, I'd rather have beef. But I brought the chicken and don't want to waste this (healthy) food, so I ate it instead of going out and buying new.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    @Kirstie155 Thank you for the links. I'd like to read more about this and have bookmarked this thread so that I can follow your progress too. :)
  • Kirstie155
    Thanks for the support @RAC56 !
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Can I piggyback on your thread (for tracking purposes) @Kirstie155 ? I am on day 2 of ZC and would like to track progress as well...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I don't really have much of a journey. I haven't been consistent all the time. I tend to push my limits and eat very small amounts of veggies and I still have wine pretty much every weekend.
    But when I first tried it last April it was just out of curiosity. I discovered that the slight constipation issues that I had been blaming on cheese and protein went away completely by not eating veggies. I could eat all the cheese and protein I wanted as long as there were no veggies with zero problems. Then I had some veggies again and it came right back along with the discomfort and bloating that goes with it.
    Then I realized if I kept the veggies seriously limited I could mostly escape any consequences so that's what I mean by pushing my luck. Those foods aren't good for gut clearly, but I kept trying to justify them. This is the same behavior behind trying to justify that 1 starburst fits into macros. Lol
    So I would be good for a while then push my luck again. I'm back to being committed and it's the best I've done since my initial try.
    This time I am having very reduced hunger. I already did 18/6 fasting naturally anyway. Many days now I'm eating only at dinner. I seem to get the most satisfaction from beef. I would never eat anything else if my husband didn't do the grocery shopping. lol
    I will go out any buy myself my own meat though. :) mine! All mine!
    I also pretty much don't lose scale weight at all without strict carnivore but I hesitate to even mention that because I don't think that's even important where I am in that process. I only have about 10 to lose and I've lost a full size while actually putting on weight so, I can't deny the uselessness of the scale at this point.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi, @Kirstie155 - I don't do SC, but I know @Carnivorekat has been or still is, any insight/advice?
  • Kirstie155
    edited January 2017
    @ccrdragon yes, please piggy back! I was hoping that some newbie ZCers would come out from lurking and join in :) I also sent you a friend request.

@Sunny_Bunny_ I think I lived with bloating and bathroom issues and just assumed it was normal. I still have a "mom gut" even though I am not yet a mom, but really hoping that bloat and pooch goes away. When I was eating carbage though...look out, 6 months pregnant in no time flat after eating dairy with lots of sugar and carbs like milkshakes. Then I would cry about how fat and miserable I was to my husband, just to repeat it the next time we had a special event like a birthday or anniversary. Or if I was sick. He likes to cheer me up by bringing me "treats." Bring on the Bacon Roses!

So far in my 5 days I have noticed a decrease in appetite, my skin feels less dry, I think I have fought off the sickness going around without getting sick, better sleep, and continued reduced pain in my leg. I also feel less bloated, though I still think I look it but...maybe that's actual fat though :D

@bjwoodzy Hi! I do remember @Carnivorekat , how could I forget? I think she was doing her first 30 days when I attempted my first go round. Wonder if she is still going at it?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »

@bjwoodzy Hi! I do remember @Carnivorekat , how could I forget? I think she was doing her first 30 days when I attempted my first go round. Wonder if she is still going at it?

I know she's around the forums, I've seen her!
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Would love to do zero carb but worry about messing up my kidneys and thyroid gland in the long term!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    We be friends @Kirstie155 ! I will post updates as I notice changes and differences (aside from the typical 'how can you eat only that' from the unwashed masses :D ).
  • Kirstie155
    @pacific904 give ZC a try, and do some research. I myself am not a researcher or a teacher, but both Goat and Bunny seem to know much more about the sciency stuff than I do, maybe one of them will chime in :)

@ccrdragon Yes! So the only person IRL that knows I am eating this way is my husband, and he is all about it. I wont tell my family or friends until I have been doing it for quite awhile, as my sister eats mostly vegetarian and also has MS :( She says she feels better eating less meat, and I just watch her guzzle gallons of coffee with sugar and those fake flavored creamers everyday and eating her whole wheat and veggies. I'm saving my reveal until after I have a decent chunk of time and health to fall back on. Im not looking for anyones approval or permission, but they will think I asked for it!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    We be friends @Kirstie155 ! I will post updates as I notice changes and differences (aside from the typical 'how can you eat only that' from the unwashed masses :D ).

I like Tom Naughton too. ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Welcome to the club. If you read through Esmée's website, you'll find a couple posts about my personal experience. I don't advocate everything that she does or says on her site, but she's definitely a great collector of resources and experience journals. There's some pretty bad "before" photos on there, also. LOL

I'm at 2.5 years now (albeit I have fallen off the wagon a few times during that). It's a small amount of time. Every time I have deviated from it, I regret it. My meals are pretty routine. I usually have a steak or burgers for lunch and the same for dinner. I also love lamb, except for the price. Sometimes I will have chicken wings. I also enjoy eggs and bacon. I keep promising that I will quit dairy, but I love it. I did stay off it for 30 days, had great results, but went right back to it. By cruel coincidence, one of my favorite meats is goat. It's not fitting considering the nickname. But, 90% of the time it's just steak or burger with some cheese. The other stuff just helps if I am feeling like something different.

The initial digestive slowdown does pass. Over time, you'll get back on a new normal schedule. It probably won't be as much or as often, but it will be fine. I went from a "multiple times a day" person and after adjusting, it's usually daily, sometimes I'll skip a day and other times it will be twice in one. You eventually stop thinking about it, because it "just works."

As for sharing, I do recommend keeping it quiet at first. People freak out and just don't get it. You don't need their anxiety stressing you out. After you've done it for a while, you stop paying attention to them. Some people have heard me talking about it and freaked out. They've told me that I'd be dead in a month. LOL, I always like to break it to them that I'm a "hair" past a month at this point.

Anyway, 5 days is a great start. Keep it going!

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There is also the 30 day bacon experiment on facebook if you are interested.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I tried a bacon only experiment. I was supposed to do a week but I quit after a few days. There just wasn't enough volume in bacon to keep me happy. LOL

I used it to slip into an all animal challenge. I felt fine but did not notice many health improvements beyond slightly lower BG and avoiding veggie stomach aches here and there. I eventually added plants back into my diet. I enjoy them more than meat so it didn't suit me well. That being said, I did feel marginally better without plant matter... It's a balancing act for me.

I do have to admit that if I liked meat more, I would go zero carb. It agrees with my health and makes sense for my situation.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    I prefer ZC eating. It works for me. It's what I like. Not to say I won't have a salad now and again because I actually like a cheesy meaty bit of lettuce smothered in full fat ranch. Or a low carb monster thickburger....oh yeah!!!!!
    I lost a lot of weight in a short time (I had a lot to lose) and my body just felt good! It feels good now that I am back to eating this way after some health issues!! (Doc said health issues NOT diet related btw) My poor sweet husband worries so much about me but he supports me. As long as my doctor is still on board with all of my blood results etc...I can't ask for more than that. :)
  • Kirstie155
    @LemonMarmalade I have sent you a FR. How long have you been eating ZC? @ccrdragon how are you doing today?

I don't think I would want to do a bacon only diet. Whyforhowcome I cant eat teh steaks?? I am also eating out of my stand up freezer in the garage. This is interesting because any other time I start a diet (whole 30, paleo, LC) I run out and buy all new food to get me started. I needed to get veggies, coconut milk, special flours, ect. This time I just opened the freezer and said "Steaks, ground beef, chicken thighs, porkloin, shrimp, duck, bacon, sausage...what do I want to eat next?" So really I can see myself not spending a dime for the first 4-6 weeks (or more?) if I only eat meat. I tend to over stock and never deplete my freezer, because I always had to go to the store for more veggies or an ingredient for some special dish and end up buying more meat that was on sale, but I didn't eat it at the same rate I was buying it. This WOE is so easy, there is only one ingredient. I have a goal to eat all the meat in the freezer.

Today is day 6. Last night I did not sleep very well and my leg was hurting. I also have super tender skin on the top of my foot-its so weird because there is nothing there. Probably not related but it has been going on for about a week. Hm. Hopped on the scale (gotta stop doing that) and am up about 2#. Gonna just keep at it! Breakfast today was 8oz of lamb, I deglazed the pan with homemade chicken stock and ohmahgad I practically licked the plate, SO GOOD!

ZC veterans, do you eat fake cheese like american? Sauces like bbq, ketchup, mayo? I have been staying away from them and while I know I can make my own choices it just seems like those are certainly not real foods that my body wants and needs. Curious about your takes on these.

Also, meat sources. When I did whole 30 last year, the whole 30 people concluded that animals store toxins in their fat, so either get organic grass raised and finished beef, or cut all the fat out and toss it. Now I am eating regular ole feed lot special from costco meat, loving every bite of fat. Thoughts?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I've really thought about doing this, and have reduced a lot of vegetables with small amounts of carbs to try to get closer to 0 net carbs. Do the zero carbers use dairy products with small amounts of carbs (HWC or cheese)? Do you abstain from sauces? Most of the "sauces" I put on meat today is low carb (low sugar ketchup, mustard, hot sauce without sweetener, soy sauce), but not clear whether it is something you eat or not.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    I do have dairy. I eat a good amount of hard cheese and also mozzarella. I don't use hwc on a daily basis. I don't like to add much to my morning coffee since I try to fast through the day. And I don't drink coffee later in the day often but when I do, I like hwc in it then.
    I still use coconut and MCT oil as well. And drink coffee and tea. And wine... but only once a week. I'm definitely not hard core... but I want to be ZC because veggies upset my stomach. So they are my main focus of elimination.
    I don't use ketchup. Not even sugar free. I might have the tiniest amount of a low sugar, non high fructose corn syrup containing BBQ sauce rarely. The Weber brand has a good option for bbq sauce without a bunch of scary ingredients.
    I will use wing sauce and blue cheese dressing when I have wings. I don't drown them but they aren't dry either. These have ingredients I don't like but haven't found better option yet.
    I'll use Mayo but only Primal Kitchen brand.
    I really base the decision to use a sauce based on how offensive I find it's label and how much I want to use of it.
    I only buy cheap meats. I can't afford the grass fed stuff. Maybe it's better, I don't know, but if I can't buy it, it doesn't do me any good. So I do what I can.

I definitely am not following any specific guidelines of anyone's idea of carnivore though. I am definitely following my own deviation of it.
    Maybe I'll get more strict as time goes on. Who knows. I did that with keto so anything could happen.