Scale Stress Syndrome

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I haven't been stepping on the scale. It crushes me every time I see that number. I can't look anymore. I'm just going to try to be kind to myself, stick to a moderate deficit, and hopefully look good by May or something.
    The best result is how you look and how your clothes fit. The scale is just a measurable tool of weight and doesn't designate what that weight actually is (fat, muscle, water).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I know. It's hard for me to see 149 again, especially being 128 at one point before my bulk. I get the scale thing. But I'm also confused. 149 for a 5'4" woman is pretty...big. So I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me, meaning-do I actually look okay or do I look chunky?

Anyway, these are probably things to discuss with a therapist, not mfp lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I haven't been stepping on the scale. It crushes me every time I see that number. I can't look anymore. I'm just going to try to be kind to myself, stick to a moderate deficit, and hopefully look good by May or something.
    The best result is how you look and how your clothes fit. The scale is just a measurable tool of weight and doesn't designate what that weight actually is (fat, muscle, water).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know. It's hard for me to see 149 again, especially being 128 at one point before my bulk. I get the scale thing. But I'm also confused. 149 for a 5'4" woman is pretty...big. So I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me, meaning-do I actually look okay or do I look chunky?

If that's your profile pic, you look quite fine to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bbell1985

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah. I'm sucking in tho. Thanks ;)
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You look good girl! I cant get my stomach to look like that and I am down to 130.

I would gladly go back to 149 gladly if I could have a "sucked in" stomach like yours.

Plus at 149 I would get to eat more.

You have better body composition than most.

Your heavy lifting is winning no matter what the scale says!

I wish you the best and hope you get back to your goal weight
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You look fabulous!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member

I was editing my indignant first reply and I see that other people have already replied!
    Holly crap lady, if YOU don't think you look good right now....

You just finished a bulk and lift weights, right?
    Your are more muscular than most women of your weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@bbell1985 I thought your profile pic may have been an old pic of your previous good weight the way you've been talking. So stop it, stop it now :tongue: You look great!
  • bbell1985
    Thanks guys. I'm confused maybe. I bulked, failed at cutting, then gained more weight. Whoops.
  • PAV8888
    http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/why-sbmic.html
    http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=5&hi=4&wl=149&us=1&ua=31&gl=

Note that visually and given your lifting history it is known that you are in the category of more muscle/less fat than your BMI indicates.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I bought a scale about a month ago. Before that I weighed at the gym. I noticed it go up/down up to 5 lbs a day. I figured out what you were saying because i still kept loosing so now I still go with the weight at the gym scale, which coincides with what I weigh in the morning at home
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Could use a bump for the holidays.
  • diannethegeek
    Could use a bump so more people see it today.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    I weigh daily. It's so frustrating to see the number not budge when you are doing everything right. Thankfully, I have come to accept it in these past 6 months hs of losing weight. After beginning a lifting program this past week, I am swollen and sore...and 2 lbs heavier on the scales. I know when I go to my dietician for a weigh-in on Thursday, I will have more of an idea as to what is going on - how much fat mass I lost, how much water weight I am holding, how much I actually lost or gained. So, I am trying not to let it get to me.

Make sure you read up on muscle tears and how you retain water while they are repairing. A lot of times when you start a new workout program like that, the scale goes up. But it's only temporary.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Today is Day 2 of me not stepping on the scale. I'm going to try to only weigh in once a week. It's difficult but I know it's necessary to keep my sanity.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    I spent most of last year with daily weights. This year I am trying a different approach. I am weighing in on the first of the month only. I am hoping to focus more on my eating habits and exercise. The weight will follow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I spent most of last year with daily weights. This year I am trying a different approach. I am weighing in on the first of the month only. I am hoping to focus more on my eating habits and exercise. The weight will follow.
    Just remember to use that weight as a tool. Measurements and how your clothes fit matter more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    While in the weight-loss mode, I plan on weekly weigh-ins, so I don't have to deal with the daily ups (and downs). When I get to weight-maintenance mode, I'll switch to daily, so I can nip those daily ups in the bud.
  • PAV8888
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    While in the weight-loss mode, I plan on weekly weigh-ins, so I don't have to deal with the daily ups (and downs). When I get to weight-maintenance mode, I'll switch to daily, so I can nip those daily ups in the bud.

Since you understand that it is natural to have daily ups and downs... how will you nip the natural daily ups in the bud?

A better plan might be to use a trending weight web site or app which would allow you to concentrate on your general weight level trend as opposed to reacting to irrelevant daily ups and downs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    truth.
  • diannethegeek
    Just want to give this a bump for others.