I started my weight loss journey, but then I got pregnant.

2»

Replies

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Congrats! I love baby talk and child development.

If you're interested in a science based, easy read then I'd suggest Brain Rules for Baby. The author supports everything with studies.

Make sure to get enough sun this winter. Vitamin D is very important. ;) I personally think September is the best month to have a baby. :)

http://www.livescience.com/13958-birth-month-health-effects.html

(Even the childless has advice! Haha)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    Congrats!!! That happened to me with my first, I didn't think the odds of getting pregnant while on antibiotics were that great, but it happened haha.

So you don't really need to be "eating for two". The baby will take what it needs from you, you really only need to add maybe 200 calories to maintenance. Eating healthy, exercising and drinking lots of water will keep the weight gain to only what you need for a healthy baby. Your doctor will go over all of that with you and monitor your weight and the babies weight to make sure you're on track. I gained 20 lbs with my first and 11 lbs with my second. They were both healthy, beautiful babies. good luck!!! <3

Unless you were on some very weird antibiotics (like for tuberculosis) it is a myth that they decrease the effectiveness of birth control.

To OP: talk to your obgyn: I'm not sure what your stats are but there is a point where if you are so obese it is not recommended to gain any more weight. Gaining a ton of weight while overweight can also put you at increased risk. Talk to your OB about this and see their recommendations on your diet and how much weight you sh
  • klp_crh
    klp_crh Posts: 19 Member
    I did the exact same thing. Last year I Started after my birthday (feb 5, I saw a picture of myself and was disgusted and decided I was done being too ashamed to capture moments in my life) I worked from Feb 5 till the end of April lost 18 lbs and found out I was pregnant (happened in the middle of march actually) I stopped losing weight but was just careful not to overly indulge and I managed to leave the hospital only 4 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight! I now have my 3rd beautiful (5 week old) baby girl and I'm down almost 25 lbs from beginning weight. Good luck!
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2017
    I tried to get pregnant for 3 years , I was 10lbs from my weight loss goal, and got pregnant. Both excited and upset! And I have cervical incompetencey, had surgery at 14weeks pregnant and was pretty much bed rest. I gained 50lbs!!!!! Now, I have a happy 11month old, it took almost a year, but I'm back at pre_ pregnancy weight. So in the end you will lose the weight. if able, continue moderate exercise and eat healthy, but do not focus on weight.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Has this happened to anyone? I'm happy, but also a little frustrated. The people around me are losing weight, but I'm staying where I am for obvious reasons. I know that I can lose a little weight and exercise while pregnant. I was on birth control and about 12 pounds down starting from November. This month I found of the birth control failed. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there in a similar situation. I'm due September 3rd!

I would sue the bc company if I followed rhetoric medication to the t and still got pregnant. Other than that wait till after pregnancy you can really do anything now. Eat healthy but you can afford to treat yourself more.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Yeah this happened to me but it was also the reason I wanted to lose weight. I tried to eat healthy during pregnancy but gave up counting calories. Still about 15lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. Hopefully the same thing will happen again ;-)
  • SJB2102
    SJB2102 Posts: 5 Member
    I'd just had a baby, got to my lowest weight ever after lots of effect then boom, pregnant again. I continued to eat healthy but obviously gained weight anyways but thankfully weighed the same post labour as at my first prenatal appointment. Yay. Struggling now tho to keep it off with 2 under 2 but trying really hard to get back on track. Evening binges are a current problem.
  • bnpuckett2016
    bnpuckett2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Just eat healthy and drink plenty of water! If you want to exercise, do it lightly - like walking, maybe stationary cycling just this early on, or even reps with one or two pound weights. Otherwise, enjoy your pregnancy and I wish you a happy and healthy delivery when it comes time!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    4 times with 5 kids..70lb to 120lb weight gain each pregnancy
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    @hekla90 I don't know what you tell ya then lol because I was on birth control, taking it as directed (same time of day every day) and managed to get pregnant. I have a healthy 4 yo to prove it. I assumed it was the antibiotics (for pneumonia) since there was no other explanation. Anyway thanks for your input.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    @hekla90 I don't know what you tell ya then lol because I was on birth control, taking it as directed (same time of day every day) and managed to get pregnant. I have a healthy 4 yo to prove it. I assumed it was the antibiotics (for pneumonia) since there was no other explanation. Anyway thanks for your input.

It's a common misconception. All forms of birth control have failure rates the antibiotics (unless ones rarely prescribed) were just coincidental. ;)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Has this happened to anyone? I'm happy, but also a little frustrated. The people around me are losing weight, but I'm staying where I am for obvious reasons. I know that I can lose a little weight and exercise while pregnant. I was on birth control and about 12 pounds down starting from November. This month I found of the birth control failed. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there in a similar situation. I'm due September 3rd!

I would sue the bc company if I followed rhetoric medication to the t and still got pregnant.

This is why America is great.............