Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Has anyone yried deep fried mars bars from the fish n chip shop? Disgustingly good!

I've tried deep fried Snickers and deep fried Twinkies. And deep fried ice cream, yum. At one of the fairs (carnivals) last year, they had a deep fried peanut butter & jelly sandwich, dusted with confectioner's sugar and topped with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I would have eaten that.... Yum! I had a smores French toast dessert in the US - two massive slices of brioche with chocolate and marshmallows sandwiched inside, French toasted, and covered in sugar, chocolate sauce and Icecream. I think I ate about 1/4 before giving up!

Desserts are one of my biggest pet peeves in restaurants. I love having a nice little dessert after dinner, but I don't need a 5-pound slab of 9-layer chocolate cake or an ice cream sundae that comes in a trough, and I don't want to pay $10 for something I'm going to eat 1/4 of. Nobody offers reasonably-sized desserts, they're all these mongo things with more calories than the dinner itself. I'd do just fine with one small scoop of ice cream, or some fresh berries with a bit of whipped cream or something of that sort.

You need to come to Australia then.

When I go out to a restaurant (rarely), I'm hoping for a good-sized dessert ... something really special. Especially since desserts in the restaurants I frequent vary between $8 and $12.

I usually end up with a sliver of cheese cake with a little drizzle of blueberry sauce and a teensy dab of whipped cream .... or a piece of gluten-free chocolate cake (because I like gluten-free chocolate cake better than normal chocolate cake) that is the size of a small piece of fudge, complete with a scoop of ice cream the size of a Ping-Pong ball. Two bites and it's gone.

If I'm going to pay $12 for a dessert, I want them to have to roll it out on a cart.

Often we'll skip dessert and then swing by a convenience store and pick up a Magnum bar or something. More of it and much less expensive!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Has anyone yried deep fried mars bars from the fish n chip shop? Disgustingly good!

I've tried deep fried Snickers and deep fried Twinkies. And deep fried ice cream, yum. At one of the fairs (carnivals) last year, they had a deep fried peanut butter & jelly sandwich, dusted with confectioner's sugar and topped with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I would have eaten that.... Yum! I had a smores French toast dessert in the US - two massive slices of brioche with chocolate and marshmallows sandwiched inside, French toasted, and covered in sugar, chocolate sauce and Icecream. I think I ate about 1/4 before giving up!

Desserts are one of my biggest pet peeves in restaurants. I love having a nice little dessert after dinner, but I don't need a 5-pound slab of 9-layer chocolate cake or an ice cream sundae that comes in a trough, and I don't want to pay $10 for something I'm going to eat 1/4 of. Nobody offers reasonably-sized desserts, they're all these mongo things with more calories than the dinner itself. I'd do just fine with one small scoop of ice cream, or some fresh berries with a bit of whipped cream or something of that sort.

You need to come to Australia then.

When I go out to a restaurant (rarely), I'm hoping for a good-sized dessert ... something really special. Especially since desserts in the restaurants I frequent vary between $8 and $12.

I usually end up with a sliver of cheese cake with a little drizzle of blueberry sauce and a teensy dab of whipped cream .... or a piece of gluten-free chocolate cake (because I like gluten-free chocolate cake better than normal chocolate cake) that is the size of a small piece of fudge, complete with a scoop of ice cream the size of a Ping-Pong ball. Two bites and it's gone.

If I'm going to pay $12 for a dessert, I want them to have to roll it out on a cart.

Often we'll skip dessert and then swing by a convenience store and pick up a Magnum bar or something. More of it and much less expensive!

Perfect! (except for the $12 part!) That's all I really need as a dessert. At home I have things like dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, or sometimes I'll buy the little individually wrapped Dove chocolate squares. Just a couple bites of something like that is plenty enough to leave me satisfied (but I usually eat large dinners, almost always 1000+ calories). We almost always have Halo Top ice cream in the house, and even just a 1/4 or 1/2 of a pint of that is plenty satisfying for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yes, our restaurant desserts are how do i say... scabby and stupid expensive for what you get :(

@anvilhead I am so keen to try Halo top, but once again, expensive at $12 a pint, one day I'll give it a try just to see what all the hype is about.
  • Christine_72
    Talking about our food prices etc has made me think more about the tipping thing. Our food is expensive, the servers get good pay which is probably why tipping isnt as big a thing here as in America.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Talking about our food prices etc has made me think more about the tipping thing. Our food is expensive, the servers get good pay which is probably why tipping isnt as big a thing here as in America.

Yes ... you're lucky to get a pretty basic pub meal here for less than $25 and that will not include salad, garlic bread, dessert, or drinks.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    A cousin of mine grew up in Texas, married a man she met in college, and emigrated to Kenya for her career and to raise her family. One day she was stopped by a Kenyan policeman who instructed her to "Open your boot!".
    She wasn't wearing boots and had no idea what the gentleman wanted. He was very exasperated with her.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

There's a restaurant where we vacation that serves a PB sandwich like this. My niece got it once. She said it was amazing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    A cousin of mine grew up in Texas, married a man she met in college, and emigrated to Kenya for her career and to raise her family. One day she was stopped by a Kenyan policeman who instructed her to "Open your boot!".
    She wasn't wearing boots and had no idea what the gentleman wanted. He was very exasperated with her.

Boot has that meaning in Australia too - meaning the back part of your car where your shopping, luggage etc goes.
  • Christine_72

Boot has that meaning in Australia too - meaning the back part of your car where your shopping, luggage etc goes.

Yep, and pop your bonnet! America- Lift your hood.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Even in the UK there are variations - I see long,tedious arguments on Facebook about whether a bread roll is called a bap,cobb or batch!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Even in the UK there are variations - I see long,tedious arguments on Facebook about whether a bread roll is called a bap,cobb or batch!

aren't they all different types of rolls? Just from different places? To me, baps are soft and squishy and covered in flour, cob is crusty, with cuts in the top and batch is irish(?) and just a plain roll that's cooked stuck together in batches and pulled apart?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

aren't they all different types of rolls? Just from different places? To me, baps are soft and squishy and covered in flour, cob is crusty, with cuts in the top and batch is irish(?) and just a plain roll that's cooked stuck together in batches and pulled apart?

I totally agree but some people get very heated about it!
  • makeupandmuscle
    makeupandmuscle Posts: 8 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We give the English credit for that. We consider you harmless and inoffensive, mostly. You can have Bieber back, though.
    No Tradeseies - you have him you keep him.

@paperpudding It's not about proper grammar/punctuation, it's about the secondary-local meaning of the word combinations.
    I have a Foggy Memory of some refined young lady ;) using the version I mentioned - directed at - to me? after a night on the town.

Now we just need to get some Newfoundlanders on here to give there version of Canadian - Newfie translations.
    Yes Newfoundland is a province in Canada but they have a dialect-language that is very unique.

I'm late, but your wish is my command! Crazy talkin' Newfoundlander here
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @makeupandmuscle , what always cracks me up is the eastern seaboard word for Wellies, as in Wellingtons, as in rubber boots.

Outsiders won't get it, but we have plenty of Newfies right here in Alberta.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    And I should add I found an unabashed American skeptic who swore up and down that it is impossible to set a time zone to half an hour different than the rest of the world.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Also trump = fart,which made last year's US election more interesting.......

That is awesome... and strangely appropriate. LOL
    jgnatca wrote: »
    And I should add I found an unabashed American skeptic who swore up and down that it is impossible to set a time zone to half an hour different than the rest of the world.

We're in Alberta, and are early birds, so we celebrate Newfie New Year's Eve at 8:30 our time. It works for younger kids, or as a starter party. LOL
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Watching a US cooking show last night, they were making "hamburger mac-n-cheese".

Hamburger = Mince (ground beef). In Australia, a hamburger would be the whole thing - bun, meat patties, sauce, etc. I would buy or make "burger patties" as the meat component.... I have no idea what we'd call mac-n-cheese with mince in it?!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We give the English credit for that. We consider you harmless and inoffensive, mostly. You can have Bieber back, though.
    No Tradeseies - you have him you keep him.

@paperpudding It's not about proper grammar/punctuation, it's about the secondary-local meaning of the word combinations.
    I have a Foggy Memory of some refined young lady ;) using the version I mentioned - directed at - to me? after a night on the town.

Now we just need to get some Newfoundlanders on here to give there version of Canadian - Newfie translations.
    Yes Newfoundland is a province in Canada but they have a dialect-language that is very unique.

I'm late, but your wish is my command! Crazy talkin' Newfoundlander here

Hey there @makeupandmuscle , I'm a Caper
  • Christine_72
    Watching a US cooking show last night, they were making "hamburger mac-n-cheese".

Hamburger = Mince (ground beef). In Australia, a hamburger would be the whole thing - bun, meat patties, sauce, etc. I would buy or make "burger patties" as the meat component.... I have no idea what we'd call mac-n-cheese with mince in it?!

Yep, we use mince to make a hamburger "pattie",. Hamburger is an actual hamburger, bun, salad, meat pattie.