Breakfast or no breakfast?

2»

Replies

• letme1
    letme1 Posts: 522 Member
    Most important meal of the day (I sound like an infomercial),, but, still holds true :)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    I personally look forward to breakfast. I work out first thing in the morning and look forward to my breakfast when I get done.
    Whatever works for you, as long as it is within your calorie allotment for the day.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    letme1 wrote: »
    Most important meal of the day (I sound like an infomercial),, but, still holds true :)

No it's not. Many here don't eat in the morning because it triggers more hunger throughout the day. There's quite a few of us who are doing IF protocols and don't break our daily fasts until later in the day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter and is a preference thing that will vary between individuals. What matters is that someone is hitting their calorie targets at the end of the day/week.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    letme1 wrote: »

Why? Does it kickstart your metabolism or something?! lol
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    I've never really been a breakfast person. I'll eat it if I know my work day has been so booked up I won't get a lunch break.

I find it a a lot easier to 'put off' eating until late, than it is to stop eating early, as I know a big meal is coming. Whereas if I'm watching TV at 8pm thinking I'm not allowed to eat again today I feel deprived and more likely to go over my calories. Overall skipping breakfast helps me eat less food. Do whatever works for you and helps you fuel your body while staying within your calorie goal.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    It is 100% easier for me to eat less calories if I delay breakfast. After 10 am at the earliest, sometimes noon or 1pm. And I'm not skipping breakfast, it's just later.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    This really is an issue of personal preference and what works best for you.

I find that eating turns on my appetite switch for the day, so I am quite happy having my hot beverage of choice for breakfast. Sometimes that's milky tea, sometimes that's brewing chocolate. I often don't eat my first meal until around 3:00 in the afternoon.

That's me, OP. It might be different for you. Experiment and see what works best.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I think its a personal preference, as it still comes down to CICO. Personally, the earlier I eat, the hungrier I am throughout the day. Since I wake up at around 4, I usually wait to eat until 10ish.
    Do what works for you.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    I'm never a proponent of skipping any "meal" but it does depend on you. The bottom line is the best approach is not to ever let yourself get super hungry or super full. When you don't eat for long periods of time and get yourself really really hungry it is very hard not to then cave to over eating.

Just remember when eating your gastrointestinal system has to signal your brain that your are full, a peptide known as CCK (Cholecystokinin) works like a neurotransmitter to let the brain know you are full... but its not instantaneous it takes a little time... the number often thrown around is 20 min, I'm sure it varies by person but if it is indeed 20 min and you eat till you are full then you have technically overeaten.

If you skip meals and get really hungry the likely hood of over eating does jump significantly. If however; you don't feel hungry at all you also don't have to force yourself to eat... but listen to your body.

Me personally would never go from dinner the day before straight through to lunch the next day as I know I'd be panic hungry by lunch that day lol