Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'll also just mention ... potato chips.

In Canada, my favourite flavour is dill pickle. In Australia, I cannot find dill pickle chips. In fact, dill pickles are hard to find ... it's all sweet pickles which are really quite ick.

In Australia, a common potato chip flavour is chicken. In fact, there's chicken salt that goes on chips (the big, thick fries type of chips), dim sims, deep fried lasagne, battered fish, and whatever else you want to get at the take-away.

So true.

And chicken chips are not easy to find in Canada. I also miss Burger Rings! I miss meat pies, too.

As for chicken chips (fries), I just sprinkle some powdered chicken stock on my fries instead of salt...YUM!!!

Chicken chips? Never heard of such a thing. Chicken? Hmmm. People want their chips to taste like chicken?!

Ketchup chips are a Canadian thing. I don't like them much.

Smarties are a Canadian candy that looks like chocolate M&Ms. Rockets are cheap sugar candies than are called smarties in the US.

It's called chicken salt. What it tastes like is when you've roasted a chicken in the oven and have done the whole butter and salt and herbs thing on the skin so that it is a crispy golden brown. Like that. Not so much like chicken but more like the seasoning you'd put on chicken.

Chicken salt is food of the gods. So tasty.

I think of Chicken Salt as being an Adelaide thing. As in when you get chips from the Chicken Shop (also an Adelaide thing) they will ask if you want chicken salt or regular salt. I haven't seen that anywhere else in Australia, but I guess i probably don't order chips much when I'm in Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane. And not often at home in WA either.

I see it around in Melbourne, but I'm from Adelaide originally and now that you mention it - they really do have a lot of chicken shops compared to other cities, don't they?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yeah, just about every suburb here has one or two fish n chip (chicken) shops. I've never ordered chips without being asked if i want salt or chicken salt, they always give you a choice between the two.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    edited January 2017
    In the US we have jam and jelly they are two separate spreads. Jam has seeds made from strawberry, blackberry ect. Jelly is smooth and usually grapes or plumbs. We are very technical with food and names here. Lol

Welllll . . . peach jam, grape jam, pear jam, etc. have fruit in them but no seeds.

Jelly is made from the juice of fruits (or sometimes from wine or something like that). Jam is made from more of the fruit, and may include the seeds if they're tiny and therefore hard to remove but easily eaten.

Jam usually has more sweetness/juice than fruit preserves (no hard & fast line between jam & preserves in my experience, though preserves tend toward bigger fruit chunks). Fruit butters (like apple butter) are cooked down to make them thick, whereas jams and jellies typically rely on sugar + pectin (the latter either inherent in the fruit or added) for thickness. Marmalade is in the same range, but I think the difference is that it's made from citrus and has skin in it.

Yes, we are technical about food and names here. ;)

ETA: And let's not even get started on the differences between fruit crisp, crumble, cobbler, crump, brown betty, . . . !
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

In Canada, my favourite flavour is dill pickle. In Australia, I cannot find dill pickle chips. In fact, dill pickles are hard to find ... it's all sweet pickles which are really quite ick.

In Australia, a common potato chip flavour is chicken. In fact, there's chicken salt that goes on chips (the big, thick fries type of chips), dim sims, deep fried lasagne, battered fish, and whatever else you want to get at the take-away.

So true.

And chicken chips are not easy to find in Canada. I also miss Burger Rings! I miss meat pies, too.

As for chicken chips (fries), I just sprinkle some powdered chicken stock on my fries instead of salt...YUM!!!

Chicken chips? Never heard of such a thing. Chicken? Hmmm. People want their chips to taste like chicken?!

Smarties are a Canadian candy that looks like chocolate M&Ms. Rockets are cheap sugar candies than are called smarties in the US.

It's called chicken salt. What it tastes like is when you've roasted a chicken in the oven and have done the whole butter and salt and herbs thing on the skin so that it is a crispy golden brown. Like that. Not so much like chicken but more like the seasoning you'd put on chicken.

I think of Chicken Salt as being an Adelaide thing. As in when you get chips from the Chicken Shop (also an Adelaide thing) they will ask if you want chicken salt or regular salt. I haven't seen that anywhere else in Australia, but I guess i probably don't order chips much when I'm in Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane. And not often at home in WA either.

Definitely in WA...
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member

So true.

Definitely in WA...

I mustn't be ordering chips often enough!
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Don't you call the flat work surface in a kitchen the benchtop, @Christine_72 ? Im the US, a bench is something one sits on at a park or a person has in his workshop/toolshed for woodworking or fixing things, lol.

Edit, the kitchen surface is a counter in the US, which I suppose makes zero sense for a name, too lol.

yup, we have a kitchen bench in aus :) we also call the thing you sit on in the park a bench...
    we also have a splash back, not a back splash....we have so much american tv (including reno/flip programs) so i keep mixing them up!!

we have scones in aus (and UK) - i'm sure they're biscuits in the US

lollies - sweets/candy
    mince - ground meat

On that note though one of the things that threw me when I moved to the UK (Swede here) was that mince pies have nothing to do with meat and that the 'mince meat' filling is actually a mix of currants/raisins etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member

So true.

Definitely in WA...

I lived several years in Victoria, and I can't think of a take-away place that we stopped at (and we stopped at quite a few on our long rides) which didn't have chicken salt ... they all did.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    fruoshea wrote: »
    Don't you call the flat work surface in a kitchen the benchtop, @Christine_72 ? Im the US, a bench is something one sits on at a park or a person has in his workshop/toolshed for woodworking or fixing things, lol.

Edit, the kitchen surface is a counter in the US, which I suppose makes zero sense for a name, too lol.

yup, we have a kitchen bench in aus :) we also call the thing you sit on in the park a bench...
    we also have a splash back, not a back splash....we have so much american tv (including reno/flip programs) so i keep mixing them up!!

lollies - sweets/candy
    mince - ground meat

On that note though one of the things that threw me when I moved to the UK (Swede here) was that mince pies have nothing to do with meat and that the 'mince meat' filling is actually a mix of currants/raisins etc.

Historically "mince meat" was a sweet concoction that DID contain meats. Sweetmeats (organ meats) if memory serves me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

lollies - sweets/candy
    mince - ground meat

Historically "mince meat" was a sweet concoction that DID contain meats. Sweetmeats (organ meats) if memory serves me.

Yes, and even when I was growing up mince meat tarts were 95% fruit + a dab of suet as a token nod toward the sweetmeat origins of mince meat tarts.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Yes, and even when I was growing up mince meat tarts were 95% fruit + a dab of suet as a token nod toward the sweetmeat origins of mince meat tarts.

Yep, I think the mincemeat my mum used to buy had suet in it, although I'm not sure if any brands still include that these days. My hubby was SO happy when mincemeat became easier to find in our part of Canada so that I could make mince pies for him! :) (I hate the stuff myself!)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    North America: Bandaid/bandage
    UK/IRL: Plaster
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In the US we have jam and jelly they are two separate spreads. Jam has seeds made from strawberry, blackberry ect. Jelly is smooth and usually grapes or plumbs. We are very technical with food and names here. Lol

Welllll . . . peach jam, grape jam, pear jam, etc. have fruit in them but no seeds.

Jelly is made from the juice of fruits (or sometimes from wine or something like that). Jam is made from more of the fruit, and may include the seeds if they're tiny and therefore hard to remove but easily eaten.

Jam usually has more sweetness/juice than fruit preserves (no hard & fast line between jam & preserves in my experience, though preserves tend toward bigger fruit chunks). Fruit butters (like apple butter) are cooked down to make them thick, whereas jams and jellies typically rely on sugar + pectin (the latter either inherent in the fruit or added) for thickness. Marmalade is in the same range, but I think the difference is that it's made from citrus and has skin in it.

ETA: And let's not even get started on the differences between fruit crisp, crumble, cobbler, crump, brown betty, . . . !

Lol yes but it could be a regional thing but I have never heard of grape, peach, or pear jam, just jellies. Lol but there is also pear and apple butter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I made a peach compote to complement my pancakes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Lol yes but it could be a regional thing but I have never heard of grape, peach, or pear jam, just jellies. Lol but there is also pear and apple butter.

I suspect that it's mostly that grocery stores tend to feature boring things that "everyone eats". While I've seen these jams in stores (especially peach), more commonly in specialty stores than standard grocery stores, I've actually made all of them.

Jam is easier to make than jelly, IMO. While you do have to remove big seeds (harder with grapes, but not amazingly so; very easy with peaches or pears), the fact that you need to turn a fruit into juice makes jellies more annoying to make at home from whole fruit. I can remember my mother putting grapes into a multi-layer cheesecloth bag that was suspended over a pan for hours so the grape juice could drain out for jelly, for example.

Sorry for the thread drift, folks.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Soda, pop, soft drink, some areas in the states call all soda coke.

• TestingStill4Me
    TestingStill4Me Posts: 4 Member
    Christine_72 wrote: »
    We use the F word for cigarettes too. And we have a very popular brand of cheese who's name people find very racist, its C**n. I actually had an American friend ask me about it when she saw it in my diary

OMG - lucky I stopped smoking a lifetime ago - because that certainly was the appreviated name for the smoke -- and as per the cheese -- well - it was just the most popular cheese and it still exists - I never realised or more precise - I never thought about it - that our popular Brand of Cheese - is actually a negative name elsewhere -- mm -- I wonder if they will eventually rename the cheese brand name
  • shelleyrhoads
    We use the F word for cigarettes too. And we have a very popular brand of cheese who's name people find very racist, its C**n. I actually had an American friend ask me about it when she saw it in my diary

OMG - lucky I stopped smoking a lifetime ago - because that certainly was the appreviated name for the smoke -- and as per the cheese -- well - it was just the most popular cheese and it still exists - I never realised or more precise - I never thought about it - that our popular Brand of Cheese - is actually a negative name elsewhere -- mm -- I wonder if they will eventually rename the cheese brand name

I must know what cheese you speak of...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    My mother in law,who comes from a less enlightened generation,still refers to things as being "n***** brown " Makes me squirm each time I hear it.
  • Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member

So true.

100% in every chicken shop/fish and chip shop ive ever been to, I'm in Sydney and used to live on south coast nsw... I'd say it's nation wide
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

I must know what cheese you speak of...

C.. Oo.. N
    (derogatory term for Aboriginal Australians - not sure if it's used elsewhere?)