OMAD Question and Encouragement Needed

I have been attempting to do OMAD since October/November 2016. I have yet to do a complete month or even a week of just strict OMAD. With my halfway attempts I have still managed to lose about 14 lbs since October. I have watched a lot of Youtube videos of people following OMAD and I know a lot of them mention counting calories. If I start counting calories will I possibly see an increase of weight loss? I really don't like to count calories even if it is only one meal a day. I like simple things. Also, I am looking to add more OMAD friends to help me stay accountable and for encouragement.

Replies

• Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    I think even just counting calories for a few days/meals will give you an idea of whether you're doing ok or should decrease your intake.
    When I first started MFP and logged a meal I was completely suprised at the amount of calories all the foods contained. Even nutritious foods can really add up.
    I think logging your usual foods is good so you can begin to learn about your intake, it can really help you be realistic about what it takes to lose weight. If you don't want to decrease the amount of food you take in you can replace some high calorie foods for lower calorie yet still nutritious foods: e.g. Potatoes for broccoli,
    or replace or eat less of starchy foods and instead eat more protein that will keep you full for longer: e.g. bread for boiled eggs/ tuna/ chicken etc.
    Good luck, you're on the right track, and just the fact that you're able to fast and lose already means you're doing pretty great!
  • jst4fun140
    jst4fun140 Posts: 11 Member
    I agree with the idea of checking your calories temporarily so you get the feel for how much to eat. Also practice listening to your body. Eat until your satisfied not stuffed. Also some people will start their meal with a big salad so then it fills them up. Hope this helps!
  • romaimemaine2001
    romaimemaine2001 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I will stick to the simplicity of OMAD right now and then if I need to I will track my calories for a few days. I counted calories a few times since being on OMAD and it does open my eyes to how much I eat but it's not something I can do long term. I just recently started working a temp position for the next 3 months and OMAD makes losing weight less complicated.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've been 100% steadfast on OMAD since getting back onto the horse two weeks ago. My mind is clear, sleep is better (worst part of my health), quit drinking heavily, and feel more motivated than ever. Motivated not just because of this eating lifestyle, but also in my daily choices and activities. We've got this.
  • Flybeetle
    @vinyladdict I admire your efforts and success so much!!
    @blambo61 such a balanced and wise view... I've just upped my calories to 1310 instead of 1200 because I kept having one or two "perfect" days and then struggling immensely with hunger and splurging (on things like rice crackers and cheese, but still). The scales are, of course, stagnant. It takes me so much effort to decrease my eating window but all my work is undone when I then go over. I'm hoping that by upping my calories I'll put less stress on myself and will be more successful in having consistent days.
  • romaimemaine2001
    romaimemaine2001 Posts: 13 Member
    @blambo61 Thanks so much for that!! I needed that especially today when I wanted to almost give up because I'm not being perfect. I know that I will reach my goals one pound at a time!!
  • Flybeetle
    @blambo61 Thanks so much for that!! I needed that especially today when I wanted to almost give up because I'm not being perfect. I know that I will reach my goals one pound at a time!!

Great work! One day at a time :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    That's the insidious problem with perfectionism. It stops you from doing good things. Recognize that, fight the tendency to be 'perfect', and do great things!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    I also love the simplicity of OMAD. One plate of food, maybe a salad, maybe a piece of fruit and glass of milk after. Appetite has really steadied, and I am having none of the cravings that I've experienced on other types of diets. I love being able to wake up, wash, dress, and go to work, without having to worry about all of the complications a strict diet on multiple meals a day brings.

Me too...no meal planning, no taking lunch to work, food bill is less, less fuss.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    I've been 100% steadfast on OMAD since getting back onto the horse two weeks ago. My mind is clear, sleep is better (worst part of my health), quit drinking heavily, and feel more motivated than ever. Motivated not just because of this eating lifestyle, but also in my daily choices and activities. We've got this.

Wonderful progress...you're doing great!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member

Wonderful progress...you're doing great!!

Ditto to that!
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    @romaimemaine2001 How are you doing now?