Zoodles

BestHolly29
BestHolly29 Posts: 13 Member
First attempt at zoodles. Not good! I read that you can dry them out with salt and then rinse it off right before you put sauce on it. I totally forgot to rinse it. How do you cook your zoodles?

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I haven't found a good way, yet. Ugh. I want to like them. I really do, but I can't get them the right consistency. I finally gave up and just went back to sautéing sliced zucchini and putting my chicken and marinara over that. Lol

Following to get some ideas.
  • BestHolly29
    BestHolly29 Posts: 13 Member
    Ooooo. That sounds good
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I usually eat them raw
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I sauté in butter and olive oil, cook off the excess liquid, then stir in pesto and parmesan.

Mmmm that sounds delish!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I usually eat them raw

This. When they're cooked the taste and, worse, consistency changes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    If you want spiralizer vegetable and fruit recipes, check out http://inspiralized.com/spiralizer-recipes/
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I am going to try raw next time.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    I Sautee with either water or pam olive oil, and put Italian seasoning on them while cooking. I hate steamed because they get way too watery and gross. :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Usually just raw if I'm putting a sauce on them. For salad I will spinkle with salt and let them sit in a colander in the sink to drain the excess liquid, then pat with paper towels so the salad doesn't get watery.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I sauté in butter and olive oil, cook off the excess liquid, then stir in pesto and parmesan.

Quoting myself to say that I do sometimes cut them early, salt lightly, then let rest in a strainer for an hour. Some of the excess liquid does come out that way.
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    I mix mine in meat sauce the last few minutes then bake in oven
  • tammie7659
    tammie7659 Posts: 1 Member
    What are zoodles?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    tammie7659 wrote: »
    What are zoodles?

Zucchini noodles. They can be made with a spiralizer or with a vegetable peeler. Other vegetables can be spiralized into noodles too.

zvvkzgv3jjt0.jpg

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I saute in a non-stick pan until they dry out a bit and I also make my sauce a bit thicker to offset the water that sometimes comes out. If you don't like Zuchinni try carrots, butternut squash or parsnips (calories are a little higher). Lots of veggies can be used in place of noodles. Carrots are lovely with a creamy sauce but I prefer Zuchinni with a meat sauce.
  • Lorri127
    Lorri127 Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2017
    I love my spiraly zoodles with pesto, shrimp and parmesan cheese! I haven't had a problem with them being too watery yet. I only add them at the end to heat them up though, they still have a little crunch (if you don't mind that). So good! I also like using them, sliced thin, as a lasagna noodle! Delish!

Hope you get to where you find them super wonderful!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    tammie7659 wrote: »
    What are zoodles?

If you've never tried them you might want to start with a cheap spiralizer like this one. The nice ones work great but if you end up not being a fan you're not out a ton of money. The cheap ones are only about $10 just about anywhere they sell kitchen supplies. I bought mine on amazon for only $7 and it works just fine.

ivuj1aerbzib.jpg
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,777 Member
    lay a hand towel down, then paper towels, then zoodles, then sprinkle just a little salt then lay a couple more layers of paper towels on top, let it sit about 15 minutes then switch the paper towels with new ones, and roll them up inside the paper towels and hand towel to sqeeze out more water, dump in a hot pan and cook just enough to heat them up, about 2-3 minutes
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,777 Member