Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
edited October 2023 in Social Groups
This thread is for Introducing Yourself & Asking Questions if you're not sure how this works.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q How does it work?
A Each week in "discussions" there is a new weekly thread, post your details in each week and then we will track the results and post up a progress post at the end of each month

Q What do the abbreviations people are using in the weight loss threads mean?
A SW: Start Weight; GW: Goal Weight; LW: Last Week; TW: This Week; OL: Overall Loss

Q Do I have to weigh in every week?
A No you don't - I keep the information in a spreadsheet, so if you're away or you fall off the wagon for a little while your details will still be there, they just won't be used in the stats if you've not weighed in with us during the current month.

Q Do I have to post all the information that everyone else does?
A No you can just post your current weight if that's what you are comfortable with, the other figures are just more helpful for the progress stats.

Q When is the best time to weigh?
A It is more consistent if you weight first thing in the morning, before you've eaten and after you've used the bathroom. Day of the week is your own preference. If like myself, you like to indulge a little on the weekend, it's probably better to weigh in Weds-Fri sometime so that you get a better sense of what you weigh once any water retention has passed.

Replies

• kristenwilburn
    kristenwilburn Posts: 7 Member
    Hello, My name is Kristen, I've slowly gained 20lbs over the past 3 years from decreased activity and poor food choices. I've started back running for 6 weeks but need to get diet under control. My goal is 1-2 lbs a week. I'm hoping to lose 8lbs by my birthday. I think this group will help keep me accountable.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Hello, My name is Kristen, I've slowly gained 20lbs over the past 3 years from decreased activity and poor food choices. I've started back running for 6 weeks but need to get diet under control. My goal is 1-2 lbs a week. I'm hoping to lose 8lbs by my birthday. I think this group will help keep me accountable.

Hey Kristen, thanks for posting and good luck with your goals ☺
  • tinkerbellang83
    Come on Week 7 - I am feeling very positive! I have seen a lot of posts about people struggling with weekends - boredom eating, being busier or having to eat out.

How do you all get on?
  • linda212121
    linda212121 Posts: 145 Member
    Hi I'm Lynn . Here to lose 30 pounds but mostly I need to exercise but with metal in my knee it's hard to do somethings . I also need to keep up on my eating habits as my boyfriend can eat everything and never gain and I fall when he orders take out . My big thing is when I'm feeling sad I will stress eat so I'm watching that . Wish the Y wasn't so far to get to so I must workout mostly at home . Any tips would help .
    Thank you all
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi Everyone I have put on 10 pounds since the summer. My goal is to loose 15-20lbs.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Hello! When I was pregnant in 2013, I managed to pack on like, 60 pounds. I never really managed to get all the weight off. I've been on and off MFP for that entire time. Since I started, I managed to go from 180 (at the very start) to 155-ish. My goal is to get to at least 135 and see how I feel around there. Maybe drop to 125 but no lower than that. After I shed the fat, I wanna get beefy.
  • _Crackers_
    _Crackers_ Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hey I'm Brent, I have lost 42kgs so far and need to lose another 35ish. I don't have a set weight loss target just yet, and am just going off what BMI range I should be in for now.

I have been dropping 1 to 2kgs a week since I have started. I walk for an hour a day at an average pace and will be looking at introducing a weights program in the near future to get rid of my bingo arms that are starting to form.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Welcome to all our new members this week, good luck with your first weigh-in's
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 294 Member
    Hi, I'm Rose. This is my 3rd try with using MFP. I failed the other times. I'm going to try harder this time to do this! I've been obese for the last 20 years and need to change this so that I am fit and healthy. I want to be able to run up a flight of stairs and not have to breathe hard.

I hope I will have more accountability if I log my weight each week in this group.

Good luck, everyone! :-)
  • Belmont61
    Belmont61 Posts: 67 Member
    Hi everyone, my name is Deirdre and I'm hoping just loose some weight! Back to a healthy me .... I'm hoping by joining this group I'll stay motivated this time and succeed
  • tuxie400
    tuxie400 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all! After gaining 7 pounds from Thanksgiving through Christmas, I started dieting again on Dec. 27 at 224 lbs. Today I weighed in at 212.6. I think posting my weekly weight will help me stay on track. My goal weight is 140 lbs.
  • _Crackers_
    _Crackers_ Posts: 14 Member
    So I have been saving quite a few calories all week from my daily allowance and from exercise so I could enjoy a piece of ice-cream cake today.

Well after all the suspense and build up when I finally got too have some, I feel so let down and very anticlimax.

Yeah it was nice and I enjoyed it while I was having it. I don't have the guilt of going over my cals as I made adjustments for it. I just don't feel I got good bang for my buck.

Sort of feel like the kid who spent his hard earnt pocket money on the wrong thing. Anyone else get like that? I know I won't be making that mistake again.
  • Belmont61
    Belmont61 Posts: 67 Member
    Crackers
    I've only just started ( again ) this week
    But I'll let you know if that happens to me
  • tinkerbellang83
    Rather than saving up for a treat I just factor them in if I fancy them. My sweet tooth has calmed down a bit since I started out though.
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 294 Member
    I factor in my treats and find them totally worth it. I like knowing that I'm not blowing my calories away and can still eat treats.
  • crisping16
    crisping16 Posts: 35 Member
    Hello! My name is Amanda. I'm 23 years old, a college student, and I'd like to lose something like 100lbs. I'm breaking it down into 20lb intervals so that it's easier to manage.

I look forward to weekly weigh-ins!

Also, if anyone is looking for friends, I'd love to add you/be added.

Good luck!
  • reinhartz1st
    reinhartz1st Posts: 2 Member
    Hello all , You can call me reinz , 31 Years old , an office 8-17 worker , has been losing 18 kg already but need another 15 kg to get my ideal weight .
    I'm not training that much , but i'm aiming at 12-15k steps/day minimum , if you looking for friend , you can send me FR / PM me so i i'll add you guys
  • trntrg
    trntrg Posts: 32 Member
    It's motivating see all the weigh-ins!
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    I've been thinking about creating a measuring "stick" of some sort to post on my bedroom mirror - a visual reminder of what I'm accomplishing r/t weight loss. With a goal of losing 75#, struggling with what incrament to use as markers (e.g. 1/4 " = 5lb). I just read a post from a mfp member who is setting her goals by % of weight loss using starting weight. Now, I'm thinking this might be a good metric for my "stick" vs lbs. Have any of you done something similar? What measurement did you use and how did you display? Power on!