pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Devilled eggs - on lettuce leaves

1. prawns, mayo mashed with egg yolks + salt, pepper, parsley
    2. Smoked ham, mayo with egg yolks + salt, pepper, parsley
    3. Tinned salmon, mayo with egg yolks + above
    4. Crab meat, mayo -ditto-

• ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    @PaleoInScotland that sounds yummy ! I haven't had Sriracha either and wanna try. Great idea! @mandycat223 I always have issues boiling eggs so that steamer method will come in handy. Thanks! @tcunbeliever never had wasabi mayo and have always been curious.. is it really spicy and hard to digest? @pacific904 what are prawns? All of That sounds so delicious! Would never think to use ham in a deviled egg either, and crab meat I haven't had in a while so that would be nice to add to my arsenal.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Wasabi is horseradish, so it's spicy in the way that bitter roots are spicy, not a hot fire spicy like chili peppers are spicy - if that makes any sense. It has never had any impact on my digestion that I've noticed. I make my own with Duke's mayo and add wasabi, so the strength of it depends on the day, if I'm in the mood for more kick, then I put in more wasabi, if not, then less. Sometimes I just eat straight wasabi on eggs, but those days are rare, I like the creaminess that mayo adds.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Wasabi is horseradish, so it's spicy in the way that bitter roots are spicy, not a hot fire spicy like chili peppers are spicy - if that makes any sense. It has never had any impact on my digestion that I've noticed. I make my own with Duke's mayo and add wasabi, so the strength of it depends on the day, if I'm in the mood for more kick, then I put in more wasabi, if not, then less. Sometimes I just eat straight wasabi on eggs, but those days are rare, I like the creaminess that mayo adds.

Do you use wasabi powder or paste? Any particular brand?
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Pickle some of them?

oh sous vide pickled eggs, I am doing this today. thanks for the idea
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I get wasabi paste at Wegmans...it's in a tube, I have no idea what brand it is...they also have really good wasabi packets in their sushi, so I save those and use them too
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    I make egg salad but with avocado instead of mayo.

I do this but also add bacon bits.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Prawns are small or medium shrimps.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    I have 5 eggs in my Instant Pot right now for a nice big batch of egg salad for me and kiddo #1.
  • lawsprings22
    lawsprings22 Posts: 10 Member
    Here's a tip I only recently learned about making hard boiled eggs. I have always made them with the traditional put-eggs-in-water-boil-till-done method. I have also tried every known hint about how to make them easy to peel, with widely varying success. My last two batches have been made by steaming them: bring about two inches of water to a full boil and then cook eggs in a steamer basket for 12 minutes, cool in ice water for 20 minutes when done. They were super easy to peel and you don't have to worry about them cracking as they cavort about in boiling water.

I have a multi-cooker (slow cooker with saute and steam options) that's big enough to do an entire dozen at one time, handy for making deviled eggs for a group.

Cavorting eggs - haha! :p
  • ShanBanKrup
    @cstehansen I've never pickled eggs before and that's great for me to save the eggs I can't eat this week that are already boiled up. I've never made the pickling juice before.. what do I need to do to make it? I googled and most recipes call for sugar, pickling spice,and salt. What's the easiest method?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    @cstehansen I've never pickled eggs before and that's great for me to save the eggs I can't eat this week that are already boiled up. I've never made the pickling juice before.. what do I need to do to make it? I googled and most recipes call for sugar, pickling spice,and salt. What's the easiest method?

There was another thread that mentioned using pickle juice, so that is what I did with a jar that was recently emptied of pickles.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    deviled eggs - egg salad
    I make cheese crips and top with egg salad. YUM
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @ShanBanKrup: I still eat a few beets on occasion so I make pickled beets and eggs. Purple eggs are pretty.

Shell a half dozen eggs
    Place in a glass container and add:
    1 14 ounce can of beets
    about 1/2 cup (or less) of ringed raw onions if you like
    a few whole cloves

Save the juice and mix in:
    1/2 cup sweetener
    1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup of water

Dump over the eggs (beets and onions if you use) and let sit in the fridge for 2-3 days until the eggs are pickled. If your carb amount doesn't allow a little beets/onions just don't eat them or perhaps a family member will like them. I love beets. I work them in. :)

This is similar to the recipe in allrecipes. It's Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs or something like that.
  • ShanBanKrup
    @kpk54 can I omit sweetener or use a little bit of stevia? I saw that recipe too and I like the purple eggs so that would be fun to try. I wonder if tho I can get away with just using vinegar and spices ? Idk I'm about quick easy and simple sometimes but I enjoy this recipe and will give it a go!! Thanks for taking the time to share it with me! hugssss
  • kpk54
    @kpk54 can I omit sweetener or use a little bit of stevia? I saw that recipe too and I like the purple eggs so that would be fun to try. I wonder if tho I can get away with just using vinegar and spices ? Idk I'm about quick easy and simple sometimes but I enjoy this recipe and will give it a go!! Thanks for taking the time to share it with me! hugssss

Stevia, Swerve and such is what I meant by sweetener. Granulated swerve is measurable cup for cup with sugar but I would personally not need 1/2 cup of Swerve for sweetness for my taste. Stevia, a few drops. Not sure how many drops of stevia I've used. Considering you have ~2 cups of liquid try adding whatever amount you would add to 2 cups of coffee?? I've never tried totally omitting. It might be good! Try it. You can always add "sweet" later.
  • ShanBanKrup
    @kpk54 would I be able to get away with just soaking them in plain vinegar? I.e just throwing the boiled eggs into a vinegar filled jar?
  • kpk54
    @kpk54 would I be able to get away with just soaking them in plain vinegar? I.e just throwing the boiled eggs into a vinegar filled jar?

I'm sure someone here knows. I have no idea regarding taste or texture. I've seen them (white) in stores but have never eaten them. Anyone?
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    One of my favorite things about the Christmas Tea at the Brown Palace Hotel in :Denver is their curried egg salad. It's amazing. I try to recreate it by making egg salad with mayo and adding a healthy dash of curry powder. Then I eat it as is or stuff it in celery sticks.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I love to make egg salad with avocado instead of mayo and eat it with pork rinds.