Name Change vote?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @JoRocka give it time and I will guarantee you things will slowly get back to better. This always happens in January with all the New Years Resolutions and the occasional BB.com troll coming over. But in a month, many people will start to fall off or banned.

I do realize that there has been an increase in traffic, but I don't think most of it has been bad...

@JoRocka I would second what @psuLemon said. It is a bit like January in the gym at the moment with all the new people but once February comes, it will go back to the normal people who used to post in here. Well at least I hope it does cos the one person that has started in here in January is incredibly over the top for my liking. Wont name him but I think we all know who he is.

But there's nothing wrong with new people posting! I'm relatively new - hopefully we're not all hopeless newbies and even if we are,this is a great place to learn.
    I don't understand the reason behind the change of name - if something isn't broken,why fix it.

it's not "new people posting".

I suspect you're fairly new to this corner as you joined in Sept. But the reason is it is NOT the same.
    This is long been a quiet bastion away from the chaos- the change in name has definitely changed that. As someone pointed out up thread- hopefully things will settle- I hadn't considered the January influx- because quite frankly that usually doesn't impact us in here.

But- it's a good point- and maybe it'll settle back down. Just seems- not the cozy normal corner of which I am accustomed.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I do enjoy having a "bodybuilding" section for when fitness/exercise doesn't seem as applicable. (Like bulking/cutting) But I have noticed there have been a lot of "I need help cutting" posts since the name change, which definitely doesn't belong in the weight gain forum.
    For a moment I thought why not add a bodybuilding section? But that would over lap with fitness/exercise too much I suppose.
  • JoRocka
    I do enjoy having a "bodybuilding" section for when fitness/exercise doesn't seem as applicable. (Like bulking/cutting) But I have noticed there have been a lot of "I need help cutting" posts since the name change, which definitely doesn't belong in the weight gain forum.
    For a moment I thought why not add a bodybuilding section? But that would over lap with fitness/exercise too much I suppose.

The weight gaining section was sort of the unofficial spot for where we all sort of landed anyway- most of MFP power lifters and body builders (what true BB we have) found themselves in here- it was no joke a sort of cove.

#IadmitthatIamselfishandIwantourspotback
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @JoRocka give it time and I will guarantee you things will slowly get back to better. This always happens in January with all the New Years Resolutions and the occasional BB.com troll coming over. But in a month, many people will start to fall off or banned.

I do realize that there has been an increase in traffic, but I don't think most of it has been bad...

@JoRocka I would second what @psuLemon said. It is a bit like January in the gym at the moment with all the new people but once February comes, it will go back to the normal people who used to post in here. Well at least I hope it does cos the one person that has started in here in January is incredibly over the top for my liking. Wont name him but I think we all know who he is.

But there's nothing wrong with new people posting! I'm relatively new - hopefully we're not all hopeless newbies and even if we are,this is a great place to learn.
    I don't understand the reason behind the change of name - if something isn't broken,why fix it.

I suspect you're fairly new to this corner as you joined in Sept. But the reason is it is NOT the same.
    This is long been a quiet bastion away from the chaos- the change in name has definitely changed that. As someone pointed out up thread- hopefully things will settle- I hadn't considered the January influx- because quite frankly that usually doesn't impact us in here.

But- it's a good point- and maybe it'll settle back down. Just seems- not the cozy normal corner of which I am accustomed.

Yes I'm fairly new,you're right. I did actually point that out!
    I was actually supporting your suggestion that the name is changed back as even I have noticed that things have changed. For me this forum has been a valuable source of information but now it just seems to be a mish mash of stuff that,as someone else has said,is more about weight loss or (long,pointless and frequently aggressive) "debate"

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Ultimately, this came out of several other threads that I have posted in (which I post in about 90 to 95% of the post to ensure this forum is fairly active). But during the spring and summer time, there was a lot of people (post bulk) who wanted advice in cutting, people who are advanced and don't need the typical advice from F&E, F&N and GD&WL sections. So I brought up about potentially doing a name change to incorporate more people into our niche group of people who actually give two kittens about their body outside of basic weight loss. It was also a bit self serving on my par, but I was hoping if it was more inclusive to bodybuilding, that we would stop getting so many apetamin threads, followed by their follow up threads about how they hated their bodies after they used it. Surprising right.. it's not like we told them that gaining 3 to 4 lbs a week was a kitten idea.

I don't think it would benefit us by going back to gaining weight, but I am open to suggestions if it would provide more clarity. But I will say, we often has trolls. They do get bored easily, so give it more time. In the mean time, if you do have some good ideas, please let me know. I am willing to work with things a bit. And stuff like name changes are easier and can be done by an admin.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Just my humble opinion, but maybe scrap the entire name and call it "bulking/cutting" instead.

That doesn't help those who are simply trying to gain weight though... Is there really a reason to have a "chit chat" and a "fun and games" forum? Maybe change one of those to "gaining weight"?
  • JoRocka

Yes I'm fairly new,you're right. I did actually point that out!
    I was actually supporting your suggestion that the name is changed back as even I have noticed that things have changed. For me this forum has been a valuable source of information but now it just seems to be a mish mash of stuff that,as someone else has said,is more about weight loss or (long,pointless and frequently aggressive) "debate"

I apologize- I miss read your post- I thought you were saying the current name was "if not broke don't fix"
    100% my mistake.
    Ultimately, this came out of several other threads that I have posted in (which I post in about 90 to 95% of the post to ensure this forum is fairly active). But during the spring and summer time, there was a lot of people (post bulk) who wanted advice in cutting, people who are advanced and don't need the typical advice from F&E, F&N and GD&WL sections. So I brought up about potentially doing a name change to incorporate more people into our niche group of people who actually give two kittens about their body outside of basic weight loss. It was also a bit self serving on my par, but I was hoping if it was more inclusive to bodybuilding, that we would stop getting so many apetamin threads, followed by their follow up threads about how they hated their bodies after they used it. Surprising right.. it's not like we told them that gaining 3 to 4 lbs a week was a kitten idea.

I don't think it would benefit us by going back to gaining weight, but I am open to suggestions if it would provide more clarity. But I will say, we often has trolls. They do get bored easily, so give it more time. In the mean time, if you do have some good ideas, please let me know. I am willing to work with things a bit. And stuff like name changes are easier and can be done by an admin.

understood- I know I was sort of divorced from the forums for a while even though still tracking- so I probably missed a lot of this. But I can see the logic.

I am hopeful as someone pointed out that it'll settle down- but I'm not crazy right- this isn't QUIET the same as it was in terms of the flow of people.

I think we have been admittedly spoiled by this little niche. And you know- change can be... ahem- difficult LOL.

As I don't have another suggestion for the good of the order- and we think going backwards isn't a good idea- perhaps we revisit in 6-9 months and see what we think?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Howzabout "Gaining Muscle" ?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Howzabout "Gaining Muscle" ?

That will be a hot mess.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I think "gaining weight" was better - so there is a place for those recovering from eating disorders or illnesses for example, who are here to gain weight - that is not body building, as i understand the term.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    ... Is there really a reason to have a "chit chat" and a "fun and games" forum? Maybe change one of those to "gaining weight"?

My understanding is that "fun and games" are for things like Would you date the person above, Pick a song starting with last letter of previous one etc - whereas chitchat is for random topics not connected to weight, nutrition or fitness - eg Do you wear underwear, discussion of movies etc

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Well personally I've appreciated having a forum that is specifically about weight gain,whether it be bulking,or people who are underweight (for whatever reason) and want to gain. I've learned a lot. Mfp was the only app I've found that isn't just about weight loss. Maybe I've not been around long enough to find the Apetamin threads so tiring that it makes me stay away. I just ignore them and scroll past.
    I'd agree with the suggestion to combine the fun and games/chit chat forums and have a separate weight gain forum.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I am a lurk and learn kind of person. I prefer to have some knowledge and understanding before I post a question. I have to say the snails pace of this section was a little maddening when the idea of starting a bulk popped into my head. Even the most helpful posts seemed a little lacking and didn't answer a lot of questions I had.

(A post that compiled links to well respected experts would be nice! This is an area where I just didn't have enough base knowledge to sift through crap when I googled. My head was spinning trying to weed through the amount of garbage about diet and lifting and programs on the web!)
  • psuLemon

understood- I know I was sort of divorced from the forums for a while even though still tracking- so I probably missed a lot of this. But I can see the logic.

I am hopeful as someone pointed out that it'll settle down- but I'm not crazy right- this isn't QUIET the same as it was in terms of the flow of people.

I think we have been admittedly spoiled by this little niche. And you know- change can be... ahem- difficult LOL.

As I don't have another suggestion for the good of the order- and we think going backwards isn't a good idea- perhaps we revisit in 6-9 months and see what we think?

I wouldn't even say that long. Most of the new year'ers should be done by March. So we can definitely take another look in a few months.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2017

I'm mostly a lurker here - I've learned alot. This sentence actually pi**es me off. I am no where near the level alot of you in regards to fitness - my focus has been weight loss for now, and I care for my body and health just as much as you.
  • psuLemon
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »

I'm mostly a lurker here - I've learned alot. This sentence actually pi**es me off. I am no where near the level alot of you in regards to fitness - my focus has been weight loss for now, and I care for my body and health just as much as you.

It wasn't meant to insult. If you care about your body outside of just weight loss, then you are in the same boat as the some of us.

And many of us are at the level you think.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

I think the thing that separates this "niche" from others on MFP is that we're not exactly working out/dieting for general health/fitness. There are posters who power lift/body build competitively.
    I for one am not lifting with the goal of fitness and health in mind, I lift with the goal of gaining as much muscle and strength as naturally possible for a woman. I do things and train at a level that I probably would never recommend to someone else.
    I'm not saying I care more or am better than anyone else (certainly not that case), just that most people can't relate to these goals and training style.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

psulemon isn't saying you don't care about your body, he's saying some people care about different things than getting to a healthy weight. You're conflating the goal of being healthy with very specified fitness goals. A lot of people lose weight, hit their goal, and are happy to maintain. That's great, they're healthy! Other people decide they need something more - they want strength and muscle gains that go beyond healthy and into elite, or they want a specific aesthetic that only highly dedicated training achieves. It really is a niche interest.

Which I guess the reason I *don't* think we need to put an emphasis on bodybuilding is that it's such a specific fitness goal. It would be the equivalent of having a subforum dedicated to running. The runners join groups or stay in F&E to discuss running, so why is bodybuilding special? (Apart from being awesome ;) )

Also, please don't recombine Chit Chat with Fun and Games. Even though they're both not fitness-related, they're different places with different vibes and I really don't want to wade through 50 "Rate the person above you!!!" threads to find one where people are actually having a conversation...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

It wasn't meant to insult. If you care about your body outside of just weight loss, then you are in the same boat as the some of us.

And many of us are at the level you think.

I took it in the way (I think) you intended it, and I do think that historically this space has been the most welcoming place on MFP for people who are interested in lifting and improving body composition. I've learned an incredible amount about gaining, cutting and maintaining from the people who hang out here -- far more than I would've learned from people in the General Weight Loss and Maintaining forums. Historically, the mindset of the regular posters in Gaining Weight has been different, and I've appreciated that. I'm really hoping that the current uptick in broscience is just a function of it being January and that it will go back to normal, because I miss the feeling of the old forum.