Name Change vote?

13»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited January 2017
    I troll the forums and, while they vary in participation, people who are not interested in the content generally remain silent or move on.

That said, I do think there is a fundamental difference between gaining weight and bodybuilding. They are not necessarily at cross purposes but apparently some long term "gaining wt" participants feel that the addition of "bodybuilding" in the title has dimished the quality of forum interaction for them.

Seems to me that an easy fix would to simply create 2 separate forums dealing w/these interests rather than combine them here in one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Ultimately, this came out of several other threads that I have posted in (which I post in about 90 to 95% of the post to ensure this forum is fairly active). But during the spring and summer time, there was a lot of people (post bulk) who wanted advice in cutting, people who are advanced and don't need the typical advice from F&E, F&N and GD&WL sections. So I brought up about potentially doing a name change to incorporate more people into our niche group of people who actually give two kittens about their body outside of basic weight loss. It was also a bit self serving on my par, but I was hoping if it was more inclusive to bodybuilding, that we would stop getting so many apetamin threads, followed by their follow up threads about how they hated their bodies after they used it. Surprising right.. it's not like we told them that gaining 3 to 4 lbs a week was a kitten idea.

I'm mostly a lurker here - I've learned alot. This sentence actually pi**es me off. I am no where near the level alot of you in regards to fitness - my focus has been weight loss for now, and I care for my body and health just as much as you.

There is a distinct difference in the forum as it WAS- and as it is now- and what it is compared to "general fitness"- this comment below I think is very accurate.
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I troll the forums and, while they vary in participation, people who are not interested in the content generally remain silent or move on.

That said, I do think there is a fundamental difference between gaining weight and bodybuilding. They are not necessarily at cross purposes but apparently some long term "gaining wt" participants feel that the addition of "bodybuilding" in the title has diminished the quality of forum interaction for them.

Seems to me that an easy fix would to simply create 2 separate forums dealing w/these interests rather than combine them here in one.

agreed- fully.
    I don't know about 2 separate forums (as odds are high most of us in here would be in that one as well- because well- there is overlap)- but there is a distinct difference in the quality of comments/vibe.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator

That said, I do think there is a fundamental difference between gaining weight and bodybuilding. They are not necessarily at cross purposes but apparently some long term "gaining wt" participants feel that the addition of "bodybuilding" in the title has dimished the quality of forum interaction for them.

You don't say :wink:

I did consider asking for another forum to be created, but if we did that, we would have to get a software change (so painful). This was, at the very least, an intermediate step to growing the community of experienced lifters who are looking to work through cycles of cutting and bulking, or looking for advance knowledge in the realm of lifting. It was also intended to help those who felt lost of what to do after a bulk.

It's quite possible that bodybuilding is not the right word or phrase, but I don't know what is. My bigger issue with just gaining weight, was that it was inclusive to those who were coming off a bulk and wanted advice.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I did consider asking for another forum to be created, but if we did that, we would have to get a software change (so painful). This was, at the very least, an intermediate step to growing the community of experienced lifters who are looking to work through cycles of cutting and bulking, or looking for advance knowledge in the realm of lifting. It was also intended to help those who felt lost of what to do after a bulk.

It's quite possible that bodybuilding is not the right word or phrase, but I don't know what is. My bigger issue with just gaining weight, was that it was inclusive to those who were coming off a bulk and wanted advice.

Well I can say I appreciate you taking the time to be involved here and understanding the nuances of what is going on- that's effing awesome.
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Rather than a name change, a gaining weight forum with a separate Bodybuilding forum would be great. I know I'm not the only one here who is a bodybuilder and passionate about it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

I also really appreciate the insight from a mod and your willingness to talk with the group. As I said earlier, I really hope it's just general January derp and that it will go back to normal, but I wonder if it could be as easy as just replacing "Body Building" with another word(s)? Maybe "Lifting," "Weight Lifting," "Building Muscle" or "Body Composition"? (That last one will be grammatically awkward, though).
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    If the concern is for guiding people through their first bulk and cut cycle, I think I'd vote for "Gaining Weight and Bulking/Cutting" - the issue with "bodybuilding" or "building muscle" or "body composition" is that it attracts people with a lot of weight to lose who want to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, without realizing that these goals are at odds with each other. It also distinguishes bulking and cutting from recomping. There's a lot of active discussion about recomp in the Maintaining forum already.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Love the discussion. Keep it coming.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    If the concern is for guiding people through their first bulk and cut cycle, I think I'd vote for "Gaining Weight and Bulking/Cutting" - the issue with "bodybuilding" or "building muscle" or "body composition" is that it attracts people with a lot of weight to lose who want to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, without realizing that these goals are at odds with each other. It also distinguishes bulking and cutting from recomping. There's a lot of active discussion about recomp in the Maintaining forum already.

I agree. Today there were a few threads on the forum which really were more about losing weight or recouping.
    Guess it doesn't really matter and as someone who hasn't been here long I probably have less right to comment. Maybe I shouldn't get too "precious" about it!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    This might be a silly suggestion, but what about changing two forum names to accommodate?
    "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" to "Need Help With Losing Or Gaining Weight?"

"Goal: Gaining Weight And Body Building" to "All Things Body Building, Bulking and Cutting" or whatever seems most appropriate?

On the former, it seems most weight loss/gain questions posted are answered very quickly, very high turnover rate for new threads, and the goals of manipulating weights generally are met with similar advice. Eat more/better or eat less/better.

The latter would give a very distinct set of goals/purposes for a forum geared specifically towards body building, even apart from the Exercise/fitness thread.

Just a thought....