How to Cope with Dad's HORRIBLE Diet

So my dad is 86 years old, and I recently had to place him in an Assisted Living facility. Since bringing him to live with me 2 years ago, I have put on 25 pounds! Caregiving takes an enormous toll on a person mentally and physically, and the burden of making multiple meals and trying to squeeze in time for the gym was too much.

So I have started exercising again and working out, but I still have one HUGE dilemma. Dad has adopted a weekly habit of visiting a local greasy diner every Saturday morning. This was a place I would visit on a cheat day, but I'm not a fan of eating there every week. In addition, it's not easy to get healthy food there.

I've tried to order a veggie egg white omelet on wheat toast and after SEVERAL trips to the kitchen (why is this confusing), I still end up with a greasy, overcooked, buttery mess. The place does not serve oatmeal nor are they willing to boil me an egg so I can just eat the whites, and they charge me a ridiculous amount for the modifications or anything healthy ($3 for a small fruit cup? No thank you).

Dad is pretty stuck in his ways and makes it known how AWFUL I am if I just have coffee, so my only other option is to attempt to bring in my own food, but I think that's against the law, and I've already had eyes rolled at me when I brought in my green juice.

So... should I just let the healthy thing go and suffer through the unhealthy diner food EVERY week? BLECK!!!!!

Replies

• Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Do they have grilled chicken and a salad or grilled chicken and eggs? Try a protein + veggie approach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Do they have grilled chicken and a salad or grilled chicken and eggs? Try a protein + veggie approach.

To be honest, so many places put so much butter in veggies (like 190 calories for a size of veggies at Texas Roadhouse), you're just better off getting something else for the calories, lol.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    We had to place my mother in an assisted living facility, then in several nursing homes before we lost her years ago. All of them cost somewhere between 3500-4k a month, some of them more. I'll be damned if they *kitten* about me bringing food in for my mother. I don't know about against the law, but the *kitten* they served half the time was worse than bland baby food. Toward the end her diet had to be liquefied and I could no longer bring her in food, but at first, I really didn't care what they liked and what they didn't. I brought food for me and her and we ate together.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2017
    I had to stay in a facility with seniors for a few weeks and all of my meals were from them. It was SUCH a downgrade from the hospital I had just come from. I wouldn't care what anyone said, I'm not eating that food again unless I'm in one of those homes for good.

You can talk to your dad with just a cup of coffee.