Jessica's OMAD - starting out, am I going wrong?

Options
Hello,

I've just joined the group. My name is Jess :smile:

35yrs old
5ft 4
weight now - 12st 5lb ish
weight target - 10st ish

I started the new year actually doing TMAD - which was bran flakes for breakfast and then nothing until dinner time. I did lose a bit with this but then started researching and came across OMAD. I really struggle with food in that when I'm not "on a diet", the more I eat the more I want to eat - if that makes sense! Also I really dislike diet food, living off salad and eating tiny portions of non satisfying food really doesn't appeal so OMAD suits me much better. I would much rather eat nothing than eat things I don't enjoy that just make me more hungry.

So I've been on OMAD for nearly two weeks now. I am ashamed to admit I don't know what my starting weight was. I couldn't face the cold hard truth of the scales! But my clothes are definitely looser and (to myself) I feel lighter. I weighed on Wednesday this week and rocked in at 12st 4lb. Having not weighed myself for ages I have now swung in the other direction and have weighed every day since. I am now feeling pretty despondent as yesterday I was 12st 5lb and this morning 12st 6lb ! Either my scales have a very bad sense of humour or something else is going on.

My meal in the evening tends to be whatever my partner is cooking, so chilli and rice or chicken and veg etc. Nothing particularly unhealthy but not what I would consider diet food. Should I be aiming to cut down on carbs?? I generally have something sweet about an hour or so after dinner, like a mini chocolate bar or last night a very small slice of Christmas cake (I justified this to myself by thinking it's mainly fruit!)

I would really appreciate any support from the group. It's rather lonely plodding on alone and although I am fully committed to OMAD as a lifestyle choice - it suits me down to the ground - I am feeling pretty depressed about the 2lbs gain since Wednesday!!

Best wishes, Jess xx

I should have added during the day I drink tea and coffee at work - with a splash of semi skimmed milk. I also drink loads of no added sugar squash and I have some sugar free boiled sweets that I might have one or two in the afternoon - these are 15kcal per three sweets.

Replies

• dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    jessicap32 wrote: »
    Hello,

I really struggle with food in that when I'm not "on a diet", the more I eat the more I want to eat - if that makes sense!

This makes total sense :) I just went through this yesterday, I was ravenous and decided to eat early which lead to a non-stop face stuffing binge for an hour :o That's why OMAD work well for me, I still make a healthy dinner, but by the time I get close to my calorie range, I'm so stuffed I couldn't eat more if I wanted to.

Ive read you should limit calories during the day to 50ish, so I would add up the sweets and drinks one day to see what your having. Either way though if your clothes are feeling loose your doing great! it takes time, don't let the scale bring you down, there's so many things that could cause a fluctuation in your weight, water, salt, hormones. Just got to find what works for you, food wise, so you can keep it sustainable, log your food on MFP for a while to see what your eating is worth calories wise.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello Jess,

Early days yet but this diet might be suitable for you since it is very flexible in many ways and you can enjoy the pleasure of a sociable evening meal without worrying too much about whether your partner's cooking is "healthy" or "not so healthy". In the end it is the time between meals rather than the meal itself that is important. It's these breaks in eating during which our blood sugar and INSULIN fall that encourage the fat-burning mode that we want.

If you are not losing weight or gaining weight you may still be losing fat and replacing fat with lean muscle. If your clothes feel loose and you feel comfortable in your jeans you are most likely losing water and fat.