2»

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @Foamroller, thanks for the feedback!

To be honest, I really have no idea if one large protein infusion during the day will jack my BG higher than spreading it out. I try to not to change other variables in my crude n=1 "trials," but I'm sure the response depends on uncontrollable/unmeasurable factors like quality of sleep, stress, fasting insulin, etc. I wish I spoke the same language as my pancreas, liver.....

I did find a comment by Phinney that he was not aware of quality studies on protein pacing (and that federal grant funding had been denied for exactly such research). So I'm back at the drawing board. :s

Money is money, but I'm not sure why it makes a difference in this case - the study didn't compare steak vs. tofu.... Why would the recipients of beef industry largesse feel pressure to nudge results in favor of 3 smaller steaks versus 1 huge one in the evening?

You're kinda derailing your own comment.
    If you're concerned about losing lean body mass, it may be hard to get enough usable protein eating OMAD, as it appears that you can only use around 25-30g per meal, but your daily protein requirement for muscle preservation is likely a bit higher.

Your argument wasn't about BG levels, it was about LBM. ...and that is another discussion☺

Btw could it be you're confusing LBM with muscle fiber?
    Money is money, but I'm not sure why it makes a difference in this case - the study didn't compare steak vs. tofu.... Why would the recipients of beef industry largesse feel pressure to nudge results in favor of 3 smaller steaks versus 1 huge one in the evening?

I think it's part of a bigger picture and this is pure speculation: The athletic community is a sucker for studies that show any miniscule "advantage". Just take Tim Noakes and his peers who based on some swedish study concluded that refuelling with carbs was a performance enhancer. He has publicly admitted he was wrong and is paying quite a high price triggering T2D following his own advice, but 2 decades later I still see coaches sprouting this message, not understanding the consequences down the line for the metabolism.

Back to the Beef industry planting an idea that one HAVE TO get a minimum of protein to "max out" protein synthesis, I bet all the gymbros around jump on it. In any case, once you've spread the idea, who cares to actually look at the original study with a critical eye anyway? But protein synthesis is NOT the same as hypertrophy...

Just putting protein as a necessity in EVERY meal is good business longterm. In my country the meat lobby has their own organization called: Office of information for meat and fish and poultry. Which sounds like a boring official governmental thing. But very few people are aware of this when they see their many ads on TV. So they think this is vetted info, but it's really just to remind us to buy animal proteins.

On the other hand, if genpop actually started eating proteins again at breakfast instead of fruit smoothies, OJ and pancakes, many would possibly be less hungry later on and thus do less snacking...and thus postponing metabolic syndrome by a few years...

Edit: I'm leaving this thread now, running off to celebrate bday with BF!
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have eaten like this my entire life. I never had a weight problem until I turned 46. I am almost 54 and still eat this way. It works for me but I got some slack on here (not this community) so I made my diary private. Everybody is different and what works for one person doesnt always work for the other.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have eaten like this my entire life. I never had a weight problem until I turned 46. I am almost 54 and still eat this way.

With eating the same way before, during, and after your weight gain, what do you think the culprit was?
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haha! Kirkor, the culprit for the weight gain was my age coupled w/sugar, sugar, and sugar and being diagnosed w/hypothyriod. I didnt think I cld lose weight bcuz of the thyriod issues but I am 15 lbs from my goal :)!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I have eaten like this my entire life. I never had a weight problem until I turned 46. I am almost 54 and still eat this way. It works for me but I got some slack on here (not this community) so I made my diary private. Everybody is different and what works for one person doesnt always work for the other.

I enjoy eating OMAD...What do your meals consist of? I post what I eat on the OMAD forum and it's called Brenda's OMAD Journey and your welcome to come on over and join :)