John's OMAD journey

Replies

• leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    memo to self: Never weigh in the day after splurge!!!! Yuckers!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »

I hear you! Wife wanted to go to smorgasboard Sat night. I also took my boy to lunch who was leaving to go back to school. Next day, up 6-lbs! It was salty so I know a lot of it was water. Today, back to only 2-lbs over but I'm still over, I'm hoping tomorrow I will be closer to normal. I drank a bunch of water today which should help (had salty stuff last night too).
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member

haha yeah it can discouraging! After new years I waited a couple of days before weighing myself.
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member

Ha ha ha... :p I almost choked on my morning coffee, I feel your pain! But as blambo says, it can also be good to note those ups and downs, when you can see the pattern and know you're still loosing weight even though you sometimes gain a little too. But it's no fun - I know!
  • leveejohn
    It has been educational to weigh in each day, I will repeat this week. Bottom line, I've lost 1.25 lbs this week, from Saturday to Saturday. That includes both last Sunday's splurge day and a party we went to last night, which sort of messed up my eating window. Still, looking forward to this next week. Some changes I'll try are:
    • Trying not to quite "splurge" so much on my splurge day tomorrow. No ice cream this time!
    • I've been taking my daily vinegar with a half tablespoon of local raw honey in a cranberry juice mixture. This at the start of my eating window. But between the honey and the sugar added in the cranberry juice, that's a lot of sugars. I'm going to start cutting the juice with water, and will buy a different juice without added sugar.

Still quite happy and relatively comfortable on the week days. Last Saturday I had more issues with the cravings simply because I was not at work (and not as busy). I might have to use @blambo61 's recommendation for coconut oil in herbal tea today!

Total weight loss on OMAD is 9.25 lbs since 30 Dec 16.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    You rock for being able to lose whilst having a splurge day and a party! Especially the fact that you've been mostly comfortable with fasting this week seems so valuable to me. We're in it for the long haul!
  • blambo61
    It has been educational to weigh in each day, I will repeat this week. Bottom line, I've lost 1.25 lbs this week, from Saturday to Saturday. That includes both last Sunday's splurge day and a party we went to last night, which sort of messed up my eating window. Still, looking forward to this next week. Some changes I'll try are:
    • Trying not to quite "splurge" so much on my splurge day tomorrow. No ice cream this time!
    • I've been taking my daily vinegar with a half tablespoon of local raw honey in a cranberry juice mixture. This at the start of my eating window. But between the honey and the sugar added in the cranberry juice, that's a lot of sugars. I'm going to start cutting the juice with water, and will buy a different juice without added sugar.

Still quite happy and relatively comfortable on the week days. Last Saturday I had more issues with the cravings simply because I was not at work (and not as busy). I might have to use @blambo61 's recommendation for coconut oil in herbal tea today!

Great job! I just eat the coconut oil and don't use any tea. I've just tried mixing the acv with tart cherry juice and chasing with vegetable juice. Not sure how much sugar but can't taste it all after the chase.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member

I wait a whole week to weigh after a splurge. I don't want to see the scale go up. Yuckers is right!
  • leveejohn
    Third week into OMAD, and I lost 2.5 lbs this week, nearly 12 lbs loss since the beginning. Starting to settle in? Time will tell.

I weighed in every day this week just out of curiosity, and the swings were interesting. Thursday night I had the first experience of hard cravings outside of my normal meal time, not sure if that's something that will occasionally happen, or if it's due to exercising too hard.

I've been hitting the elliptical 30 minutes a day at lunchtime (very fortunate that my company has a gym), and I've upped the resistance as I'm feeling better, but after wearing a heart rate monitor (FitBit), I've discovered I was exceeding the top end of my target heart rate. Plus walking in the evenings, but that's pretty easy.

Maybe this is what Bob was talking about that excessive exercise intensity produces stress and cortisol? Not sure, but I'll make an adjustment this week to ensure I stay in my target cardio zone. Hopefully things will continue to settle out as I continue to learn how my body reacts to this.

Still enjoying this new way of eating and looking forward to good things! I am well aware that I'm not suffering the difficulties that others are having (so far!), but for those of you who are, keep at it!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    2.5 LBs is Awesome!!!
  • blambo61
    Congrats. I think it was Joe that showed us about the cortisol. I do know it is harder to do high intensity when fasted cause the glycogen is down and high intensity requires glucose (metabolizing glucose is anaerobic which is the state your in when doing high intensity).
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »

Great job! I just eat the coconut oil and don't use any tea. I've just tried mixing the acv with tart cherry juice and chasing with vegetable juice. Not sure how much sugar but can't taste it all after the chase.

I mix the acv with a couple ounces of regular apple juice and a shot of tart apple juice all together and barely taste the acv.
    :)
  • DebSozo
    I'm happy you are adjusting so nicely to OMAD, John. I wonder if you had been making changes positively somehow previously and so did not have such a big change coming in?
  • DebSozo
    First day back at work yesterday was surprisingly bearable. Had a good day. Today I had to disappear for a while when lunches were brought in, I don't think I'm quite ready to be around that sort of thing. Fortunately my workplace has a gym and I spent 30 mins on the elliptical at a moderate pace. This afternoon was a bit tougher, but still bearable until my meal time (just finished - yay!). To be expected, or is this the first step on the path to overdoing it? I certainly hope it's just to be expected, and another part of the adjustment.

In my experience it's going to be hard at the beginning. Just keep in mind that this is the hardest part. I can promise you that OMAD gets easier as time goes. Once you become fat adapted, your body can seamlessly give you energy during the fast and appetite is naturally suppressed. You actually get to a stage where you don't even think about it. When your body makes this shift, you will know what I'm talking about straight away.

It seems like it took me forever to finally get to this point. I think I was almost there but shifting from low carb to high carb during the holidays was a mistake for me. I am just recently getting to the "comfortable" stage of not really thinking about it. I'm not getting carb cravings or hunger at this point. In December I was on the line thinking and almost planning on throwing in the towel.

But I'm glad I stuck in here. I don't have any alternatives and nothing else worked. Somehow there was a thread of faith that this would kick in eventually. And it did.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Way to go, John. Just truck right along. The losses will be there!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Wonderful...keep up the great job!!
  • leveejohn

DebSozo wrote: »
    I mix the acv with a couple ounces of regular apple juice and a shot of tart apple juice all together and barely taste the acv.
    :)

I have been cutting no-sugar added grape juice with water, about half and half, adding a tsp of local unfiltered raw honey and 2 tbs of ACV. I usually warm it to get the honey to dissolve. I am completely craving this stuff!!!! It tastes wonderful, and it's the first thing I want when I get home in the evening, before my meal.
  • leveejohn
    edited January 2017
    Completed my 4th week of OMAD. Lost 5 lbs this week, for a total of 17 lbs weight loss. Shared this plan with a coworker, who is the same age (and about the same starting weight) as I am. Still loving this way of living, of all the ways I've tried in the past to lose weight, this is simplest, easiest, and most effective. My major struggle is believing this is real! ;)

I've started strictly monitoring my heart rate during daily exercise on the elliptical, not allowing bpm to go above my target cardio zone (140 bpm for my age), so I've reduced intensity just a bit. The occasional evening hunger pangs that I was experiencing last week have not returned.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    That's great, I lost 3 and OMAD is the best way for me to lose weight because I have a problem with potion sizes and by sticking to the one plate and one meal rule it's working :)
  • leveejohn
    @brendagaudette I agree! Much simpler than portion control all the live-long day, less stressful, and as someone else pointed out, you know that you will be full at least once today.