Calorie rip off

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    yalva009 wrote: »
    @christine_72 , @Rocknut53 , @powered85 , @callsitlikeiseeit and @estherdragonbat

Dehydrated peanut butter is 50kcal for 2 tbsp, they come in tubs. All you have to do is add water. :smiley:

Haven't seen that in Toronto. Any clue if it comes kosher-certified?

In BC and bought it off low carb Canada. It's called PB2. Not sure about it being kosher.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    To be a rip off it has to not be worth it. For me, avocado and nuts and cheese are all worth it. Stuff I don't actually like (like mayo) is a rip-off, but picking something you don't like seems a cheat.

For me, I guess I'd say certain starchy sides -- plain bread, rice -- I think they are fine, but just kind of there, not worth spending calories on.

On the other hand, I have some powdered peanuts (forget the brand, not PB2) and I love it, since I love the flavor of peanut butter but not peanut butter itself (or any nut butters), since I just don't care for the texture. I add it to oats or a smoothie.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Beans and nuts for sure. I made a little bean chili, just spices and tomatoes and beans and it was surprisingly high cal. Filling I guess but still.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2017
    Anything that is not nutrient dense, fries, ice cream, soda. The rest is ok just gotta make it fit, yes pasta too, 40 grams are ok! I love beer on weekends.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @christine_72 , @Rocknut53 , @powered85 , @callsitlikeiseeit and @estherdragonbat

Dehydrated peanut butter is 50kcal for 2 tbsp, they come in tubs. All you have to do is add water. :smiley:

I use PB2 in smoothies and yogurts, but not on bread/toast.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    My Dad always said "bread is made to hold butter". A lot of truth in that for me.
    Of course,he was stick thin all his life :D
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Another vote for nuts. I'm trying to eat more to lower my cholesterol and balance the calories at the same time.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Milkshakes from sonic and ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Also brownies are pretty calorie dense. Luckily there's Halo Top to satisfy my ice cream cravings and Simply Scrumptous for the brownies! ;)
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Peanut butter!!! Wish that was lower. Even the light is high.... but it is what it is :(

THAT.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    For me it isn't a specific food but I feel that way if I eat something that isn't as good as I had hoped. Like if I decide to work in a donut and it is a disappointment, then that feels like a calorie rip off to me. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    All the peanut butter talk is funny because if you go into the weight training forum and people ask "what should I eat if I'm short on calories when I don't get hungry enough?" Peanut butter is a common answer.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Cow's milk. I'd take some unsweetened nutmilk, assuming it's not plain almond, for 25-45 calories any day. Tastes better with most cereals too.
  • schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    peanut butter.

why oh why does it have to be so high in calories?

:/
    Peanut butter.

Yep. I wanted banana slices with peanut butter tonight but put the peanut butter away once I checked my diary. I didn't have room in my calories.

But I'm going to have it for breakfast on my toast tomorrow.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Thursday night, I discovered that I'd been so busy cooking for the week that I hadn't had time for snacks and was somehow over 400 below my daily calories. HELLO peanut-butter and marmalade on flour tortilla!
  • md78245
    md78245 Posts: 16 Member
    Peanut butter
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    SALAD DRESSING! I know I shouldn't have salad smothered with it but dang! 3 1/2 cups of lettuce sucks with just a TBS or 2! LOL
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member

yeah and it doesnt taste anything like real peanut butter..... all it does is piss me off...... LOLOL

I know what you mean. I was thinking of getting some for smoothies, but for eating on a sandwich, just no, I like my creamy peanut butter.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    brandi8484 wrote: »
    SALAD DRESSING! I know I shouldn't have salad smothered with it but dang! 3 1/2 cups of lettuce sucks with just a TBS or 2! LOL

This is why I switched to hot sauce. Dressing is a treat for me. But hot sauce is really great and there's like 5 calories.
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    brandi8484 wrote: »

This is why I switched to hot sauce. Dressing is a treat for me. But hot sauce is really great and there's like 5 calories.

Nice tip! What kind of hot sauce do you like to use the most?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    patceoh wrote: »
    My Dad always said "bread is made to hold butter". A lot of truth in that for me.
    Of course,he was stick thin all his life :D

My mum is the same, and thin too! The amount of butter she puts on bread looks like a thick hunk of cheese from a distance lol She is healthy as a horse, no cholesterol or health issues. She also melts cheese in a frying pan and mops it up with bread.