Who we are and why we do the things we do

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2017
    qyl1gyljwc9k.png
    Seems about right!
    Thanks for this, some good info for sure!!

@gettinthere Hello fellow ESFJ person!
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    I did this a few months ago and got INFJ-T. Kinda changed my life; I don't feel alone or broken anymore.

@cstehansen I think it's funny when it says how "rare" a type is. It says INFJ is the rarest, but there are 3 that I've counted in this group, and another 3 that I've met since this test was passed around my office.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    I did this a few months ago and got INFJ-T. Kinda changed my life; I don't feel alone or broken anymore.

@cstehansen I think it's funny when it says how "rare" a type is. It says INFJ is the rarest, but there are 3 that I've counted in this group, and another 3 that I've met since this test was passed around my office.

I think there are some personality types that would be more drawn to both this WOE and this group and would therefore be over represented. For your group, one of the key characteristics leading to this would be:

"Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion. Advocates see how people and events are connected, and are able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter."

We all know what the "experts" are pushing for weight loss, diabetes, etc. is a bunch of hooey. Your personality type is more likely to see through it and want to find the honest answer.

By the same token, my personality type is one which will challenge EVERYTHING and always look for a way to do things better as nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement.

You will likely find few, if any, of those with the highly "people pleaser" personalities in this group.

Even within each group, there are slightly higher or lower emphasis on each of the characteristics (i.e. intovert/extrovert is a continuum, not an absolute). The characteristics are the same way. I have all the characteristics mentioned, but some of them are definitely more dominant than others.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    The funny/interesting thing for me is that I took the Meyers-Briggs which this looks like it's based off of in college psych and I scored very differently than I do today. I believe I was ISFJ. I think 16 years of real life has changed me a bit. :smile:

I agree! Although I've always been a bit of a ham (lol) I've learned to tone it down a bit and let others have their time in the sun. :) And I've learned to BE a team player nobody like a Ms Bossy Pants (and they won't invite you to their parties lol)
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Yup, square pegs in round holes. My mother used to say that was the unfortunate job of a parent. To help with the "rounding".

Yup lol My son is an extrovert like me, I laugh because he's been wanting to be a "star" since he was very little. I have to constantly have to remind him that the world does not revolve around him and that been a kind, friendly person is better than beening the popular one. :smile:
  • sati_18
    sati_18 Posts: 18 Member
    https://www.16personalities.com/estj-personality

I get ESTJ every time I do one of these tests - the most rigid and judgemental of the extroverts :P

I dont know why i'm so surprised at how many introverts are showing up in this thread though, but i would have thought an online resource for something that is quite technical would have had a more even split!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    sati_18 wrote: »

I get ESTJ every time I do one of these tests - the most rigid and judgemental of the extroverts :P

I dont know why i'm so surprised at how many introverts are showing up in this thread though, but i would have thought an online resource for something that is quite technical would have had a more even split!

I'm surprised by the results as well. I haven't seen a single other ISTJ here (maybe I missed someone?), yet the site says:
    The Logistician personality type is thought to be the most abundant, making up around 13% of the population.

Are other types included in what they refer to as "Logistician" or is the LCD sample group that different than society as a whole?
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    I'm an ISFJ- the defender.
    I occasionally go into the main forums and friend request the people who are getting bullied for being low carb.
  • sati_18
    sati_18 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2017

I'm surprised by the results as well. I haven't seen a single other ISTJ here (maybe I missed someone?), yet the site says:
    The Logistician personality type is thought to be the most abundant, making up around 13% of the population.

Are other types included in what they refer to as "Logistician" or is the LCD sample group that different than society as a whole?

I don't think the sample on here is in any way representative of the overall population. Supposedly 11% of the population are ESTJ but I haven't seen any others in the thread at all.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    I took one of these tests in college (a very long time ago :lol: ) and I got ISTJ, which I don't think has changed. I came across this post a few years ago, and it is scary accurate for my definition of hell. :smiley: Thought you all might enjoy as well!

http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2015/05/the-definition-of-hell-for-each-myers-briggs-personality-type/
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    landiodo wrote: »
    I occasionally go into the main forums and friend request the people who are getting bullied for being low carb.

Me too!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Some deep thought going on! I love it!

I've always thought there was something unique about our group here. I am in others, not many, but nothing is like it is here.

I can see how certain personalities might be more prone to find their own way and even be able to stay on track and be more successful with long term changes that are not traditional.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    sati_18 wrote: »

Here I am, another ISTJ. Sort of. I've taken the Meyers Briggs test a few times over the years. I alternate between ISTJ and INTJ, which I feel is a good representation of me. Depending on the situation, I am fully capable of using intuition and observation (sensing) skills together needed.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    landiodo wrote: »

Me too!

That's our collective body of community service! o:)
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    redimock wrote: »
    I took one of these tests in college (a very long time ago :lol: ) and I got ISTJ, which I don't think has changed. I came across this post a few years ago, and it is scary accurate for my definition of hell. :smiley: Thought you all might enjoy as well!

http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2015/05/the-definition-of-hell-for-each-myers-briggs-personality-type/

OMG... Truth!
    ENFP – Every minute of the rest of your life has been scheduled for you >:) – and it’s a long series of arbitrary, solitary tasks. :s

:o:'(
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've done personality tests, and I know I'm not a "people person." I'm actually very smart and have a lot of knowledge, but just can't seem to figure out how to communicate with other people. Specifically with online message boards, groups, etc.; I've found that my lack of communication abilities doesn't really seem to matter anyway. Moderators usually don't care about your post... they only seem to care about how other people react. It is reinforcement of group-think.

For example, in a diabetic group I'm a part of on Facebook (includes both type 1's and type 2's), someone made a post asking for ideas of low carb foods. She didn't say it, but my guess is that her doctor suggested this (good job on him/her if that is the case). Several people made comments. One person made 3 separate comments for 3 separate memes of "diabetic foods" listed. Under each of these meme comments, I noted which foods were listed that were or were not actually low carb... for example, pointing out that "whole grain bread" is not a low carb food. That person must have complained because one of the mods messaged me saying these foods listed are "healthy" and that I shouldn't have commented on them. I responded that the question was not about "healthy" at all, but about "low carb" and that my comments were absolutely appropriate. She didn't have a good argument about that, so then she complained how I shouldn't have commented under each post. The same person had made 3 comments under the main post, so why am I limited to only 1 comment?! Anyway, the bottom line is that somebody got upset and took my corrections personally. Did I intend them to be personal? No. There is no way I think I could have phrased the facts to be both informative and to avoid this person from taking them as a personal attack of some sort on her memes. Even though I was totally right, and I could tell the mod knew I was right, she was just acting based upon the reaction of another person. This isn't the only example... I've seen that on a lot of sites and in a lot of circumstances. Sometimes I just think mods need to tell those who are over-reacting to step back and evaluate after they have cooled off.

ETA: I got Logistician: https://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality

Same here (subtype INTP-A. I actually do relate to Bill Gates and Albert Einstein.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member

I read all of them. There are some bad ones on there, but the one assigned to me was the worst - for me.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »

I think there are some personality types that would be more drawn to both this WOE and this group and would therefore be over represented. For your group, one of the key characteristics leading to this would be:

"Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion. Advocates see how people and events are connected, and are able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter."

We all know what the "experts" are pushing for weight loss, diabetes, etc. is a bunch of hooey. Your personality type is more likely to see through it and want to find the honest answer.

By the same token, my personality type is one which will challenge EVERYTHING and always look for a way to do things better as nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement.

You will likely find few, if any, of those with the highly "people pleaser" personalities in this group.

Even within each group, there are slightly higher or lower emphasis on each of the characteristics (i.e. intovert/extrovert is a continuum, not an absolute). The characteristics are the same way. I have all the characteristics mentioned, but some of them are definitely more dominant than others.

It's pretty cool that personality may be correlated to something as basic as eating patterns.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

Omg! Thesr are scarily accurate. My husband is ESTJ. The description of hell is so true. And it's his mother :'( As an ISTJ/INTJ, I feel very similarly. It's hell living with her.
  • RalfLott

Omg! Thesr are scarily accurate. My husband is ESTJ. The description of hell is so true. And it's his mother :'( As an ISTJ/INTJ, I feel very similarly. It's hell living with her.

Bwaahahahaa! :s

Drink your way to a personality change?