Zero Carber-give me your meat!

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Oh, and FYI for toilet issues:

Generally speaking, the first few weeks things are going to be all over the place, BM wise, due to adaptation. As you progress, you may go only a few times a week. If it's not painful or bloated, it's not constipation. But if it is, focus on more fatty meats or a little extra butter.

If you're very loose, liquidy stools, ease up on the fat, focus on leaner meat for a while.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Thanks @williams969! I also ate out with my husband on Saturday, and ate pats of butter until my ribeye arrived :) i was starving and not touching the bread or soup courses! Since he knows how I eat, that wasn't weird. I figure if I eat out with friends or coworkers they'd give me the side eye though.

Toilet issues are loose and urgent. I've been lucky that it has not struck in the car, or I would be in trouble. I really like the fatty meats...can't I just skip the cheese? :'( Lol, my favorite part of the brisket is finding the fatty chunks with no meat mmmm >:)<3

Congrats on almost hitting 3 months, that is awesome. Have you noticed any major changes in your body?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    The first time I ate out with friends, I thought they'd side-eye me (SoCal-ers, heavy on the veggie lifestyle). I ate two med rare, half pound burgers with bacon. They didn't bat an eye. Actually, they thought my meal looked sexy as heck, lol. Meat envy! >:)

As far as dairy, you'll have to experiment. Dairy or not, my toilet schedule isn't affected (unless I consume lactose, I'm lactose intolerant); it's all fat content that affects mine. You're still quite early into ZC, so yeah, things are going to probably be weird for a while as you fat adapt. Just eat whatever ZC foods sound good to you at the moment.

As far as body changes? I'm slowly getting leaner and more muscular. I do twice weekly calisthenics (push ups, pull ups, squats, planks) for strength.

I was already pretty lean, just wanna be healthier. I have lowered my BP (140/90 to 110/60. Yay!). Cholesterol will be checked in April (was normal range last year, but had been bad in the past). My mental health is vastly improved (anxiety and depression). No migraines in 3 months. I also have psoriasis, which is 90% clear (I don't and never have taken meds for it).

So really, it's the health issue improvement that I'm most happy about. I didn't even realize how bad off I was until things started healing.
  • Kirstie155
    That is awesome about your friends, and makes me feel a bit better. I worry about my almost vegetarian sister, and my mother in law who seems to think that me saying "no thanks" to a sweet treats (that she didnt even make) is some kind of sin. She's weird and very oddly offended by things like that. Cross that bridge when I get to it, I suppose. Haha, maybe I'll just tell her I have diarrhea and cant eat that day, every time I see her..hahaha!

Day 12 today, and I had 3 applegate beef hot dogs for breakfast, no lunch. Its about 4:30pm, and my stomach is rumbling but I never would have made it this long without food before!

Also, a win from yesterday. I was really upset about something, stopped by a burger place to pick up dinner, and still ate only the meat as planned. No emotional eating! That is huge for me!

Anyone eat ZC and lift weights? Im doing Strong Lifts 5x5 (again).
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Wow I had never actually considered this. I get told off for having minimal veg by my family and a close friend, I can only imagine how much more I would hear if they saw me with no veg.
    Im thinking about it now and it sounds meaty!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I lift - I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1 currently
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Used pork rinds instead of gut bomb crumbs.

Probably could've just skipped them. Bread crumbs are just an extender so with the way pork rinds would just disintegrate, you're probably not gaining anything.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    Used pork rinds instead of gut bomb crumbs.

Probably could've just skipped them. Bread crumbs are just an extender so with the way pork rinds would just disintegrate, you're probably not gaining anything.

Good to know. I always thought it helped hold it together along with the eggs.
    But this actually started to split open on top anyway... still tasted amazing!
  • Kirstie155
    I made this amazing beast last night!

Bacon cheeseburger meatloaf!

I adapted this recipe by adding cooked bacon pieces into the beef and wrapping a few around it. I also used 3.5 pounds of ground beef! Lol so I added another egg and more cheese. Used pork rinds instead of gut bomb crumbs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/16189/cheeseburger-meatloaf/amp/

The whole family just loved it!

This looks awesome, I think I'll make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Way to go @Kirstie155 I sure know that feeling. I am a lurker extroardinaire here but was converted to ZC from the first meatless may challenge last year(?) or two years ago now. The first year I would voluntarily jump off the wagon at each holiday eating occasion. I made it most of last year with only minor detours and a voluntary leap to the apparent depths of hell this xmas trying to get back on the wagon this year.

I was low carb for quite a while (<20g) and did see noticeable results and changes but it really wasn't until hearing Goats story and doing the meatless experiment that I literally got my life back. Ok, not back. Really I had a life for the first time. Even though I had been <20g for quite a while, I really was amazed at how becoming a complete carnivore made an even bigger difference than low carb had! It's like everything finally worked! My brain, my body, my eating. People looking at you sideways says more about them and their fears and judgement than you and there isn't anything that will make me go back now. If someone has not experienced the psychological instability, the incessant/CONSTANT hunger, the inflammation and unbelieveable weight gain (to name only a few) caused by carbs I personally don't think they have a right to comment on my current way of eating.

I am finally on day 2 of zc. Yep. Took me almost a month to get out of xmas sugar hell and next year, nothing will be worth it for me. That's just how my body rocks. Dead in a month? Well at least it will be a good month 'cause the first 40 years were kind of a bust healthwise. It seems the longer I am ZC the more the carbs affect me if I jump the wagon. Even The Beast who was super worried at the beginning of my experiment has declared next xmas a sugar free zone! That is the best xmas present ever!

I'm so glad you stuck with it and are feeling results. And thanks for posting, it's great to follow your journey. That goes for any one here sticking to any plan they've decided to try and are seeing results, no matter what anyone else is doing. Congratulations on having the courage to feel better. You're supposed to feel good!
  • Kirstie155
    edited January 2017
    Hi @gsp90x , thanks for the kind words, and for sharing your story. :) Glad to hear that you are back on track with ZC, and on your way to feeling better.

Day 17 for me now, missed breakfast due to a big dinner last night. 10oz grassfed ribeye cooked in tallow, with a chicken leg. Not sure grassfed its worth all the price and hype to be honest. Not sure I like tallow at all either. Lard all the way! And Costco beef :p

Anyway, missed breakfast and ended up eating lunch at 3pm due to being swamped...and I survived! The only side effect was a rumbly tummy from hunger, but no dizziness or lightheaded or anything like that. It was pretty awesome.

I had been worried about my mother in law pushing food on me, and spent the whole day with her on Saturday...I fibbed to her and told her that my doctor put me on an elimination diet of just meat to cure IBS, and that even a bite of veggies would give me diarrhea-and since we were stuck in a car together all day, she understood. I felt bad lying, but she is an elderly lady who won't take no for an answer, and doesn't understand NO! It's always "just a taste." And I spent the whole day with her, so multiple meals she would have wrecked for me. Still going strong with nothing but meat, dairy and eggs for 17 days!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    That is awesome! 17 days! You're almost at a habit (as they say... 21 days) Isn't that the most awesome feeling? To know you're hungry but it's okay? No other side effects, just your tummy saying "hey, we could use some food down here. Whenever you can get to it though, no biggy". Absolutely liberating! Yay! And in regards to the fibs... hey... ya gotta do what ya gotta do for you. Good on ya!
  • Kirstie155
    gsp90x wrote: »
    That is awesome! 17 days! You're almost at a habit (as they say... 21 days) Isn't that the most awesome feeling? To know you're hungry but it's okay? No other side effects, just your tummy saying "hey, we could use some food down here. Whenever you can get to it though, no biggy". Absolutely liberating! Yay! And in regards to the fibs... hey... ya gotta do what ya gotta do for you. Good on ya!

This made me smile. I like you :)
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy Hi! I do remember @Carnivorekat , how could I forget? I think she was doing her first 30 days when I attempted my first go round. Wonder if she is still going at it?

Hi, I deleted my account as was so annoyed with myself for falling off the wagon so badly, but I am back - unfortunately can't get my old name back - I am definitely going back to Zero Carb as it was the WOE that made me feel the best - tomorrow will be my Day 1 back on ZC
  • Kirstie155
    Glad that you are back, Cat! Im on day 18 and your thread about your meaty July? August? last year inspired me to try back then. It didn't stick for me then, but I have a feeling it will this time around. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, and I hope mine inspires you as yours did me :) I sent a friend request.
  • Kirstie155
    Just thinking out loud here, folks.

Day 19 of strict ZC, feel like I might actually be sick with a cold. I've been fighting it all week and just feeling terrible with a sore throat every morning and just so tired and unmotivated. By the end of the day my mental motivation returns, and last night I vacuumed and put Christmas decorations away, put the living room furniture back to its rightful post Christmas tree spots. Trying to make it to the weekend before I really get sick so I don't have to use any sick leave this early in the year.

I know you all are going to tell me not to freak out and trust the process, its too early, throw away the scale, ect. but...The scale is going UP and I'm starting to freak a bit about it, and it is looking like for the past 3 weeks I have less than a pound loss total. I started ZC on 1/8/17

rcg4yeh9f0bc.png

It's just very frustrating because I haven't strayed from ZC even once, and am doing a weightlifting routine 2x a week. I have easily 50#-70# to lose, so can I just get a few vanity pounds on the scale please? Over the last few days I did eat some prepared liverwurst and cream cheese. Last night I had salmon and shrimp, I have had a cup of coffee with half and half once or twice a week, and I did restart taking prenatal vitamins-organic and all from veggies no artificial ingredients in these vitamins (I will be trying to conceive sometime in the next 6 months.) For those that are interested and think this may be the cause, my TOM ended one week ago.

Maybe I should just go with chicken thighs and beef for awhile? I'm mixing up my foods because I have a lot of options in my freezer, and one of my goals was to eat all the meat from the freezer. I have ground beef, steaks, porkloins, chicken thighs, a whole duck, shrimp. I have some chicken thighs and sirloins defrosting now, and was going to make The Bears chicken recipe.

Feeling frustrated and tired :s
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Don't panic, some who do ZC do find themselves in the first month fluctuating with weight - it's because the body is repairing itself, stay strong and your body will adjust and start moving in the right direction.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I know where you are coming from @Kirstie155 - I had a 5 lb drop from Tuesday to Wednesday and this morning I am up 3 lbs... go figure! Keep weighing yourself if you want to track the numbers but don't give them any power over yourself!