Blood Type Diet Buddies?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2017
    stjohn8us wrote: »
    It was a joke! It was a joke! I know OP stands for original poster.

Now.....this is funny. :D

I've too had a lot of struggles with weight my entire life. Until I learned the power of moderation and eating less calories than I burn.

I can tell you have found a plan that works for you that keeps you in a calorie deficit. The magic lies in eating less calories than you burn, not in the diet type itself.

Congrats on your weight loss, and keep up your hard work!
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    You can add me if you'd like! I'm not following the btd but I'd love to read your recipes and ideas. :)
    I think the premise of the diet is really interesting, although there's no science to back it up. I think each diet in the btd probably has some good ideas. I just love stuff like personality tests that puts you in a little group and describes you and gives you advice. Even though it's kind of vague and could apply to a lot of people. ;) It's fun. I'm O negative, which I've always thought was kinda special, being the "universal donor." Also, that's the group that is supposed to eat a lot of meat and not eat grains. I feel best when I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast so I wouldn't change that. But when I tried to be vegan I failed spectacularly and said- it must be my O- blood type.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    OP, the issues arised out of less than ideal nutritional dieting and that can be said emphatically with any diet that does the same. You basically added back in higher nutritional values to your diet and your health got better. Do we need meat in your diets? No we don't and if it works for you then continue to implement it because you're staying consistent.
    The point that everyone here makes is so that others that may read it will have other views. I KNOW there's no advantage of a blood type diet, alkaline diet, Paleo, ketogenic, etc. when it comes to sensible weight loss. It still about CICO when it comes to weight loss, balanced nutrition to improve health and the rest is just fluff to sell books and programs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I just found out that I SHOULD be eating a lot of cheese. Excellent. That's my favorite food. As for the rest of the diet, I've forgotten it already, but any diet that encourages me to eat cheese sounds like a win! :D

I do think that if the OP feels better eating this way, then more power to her. I don't hold much faith in this diet being legitimate, but I can't see that it's dangerous or unhealthy either - there seems to be a wide range of nutrients available for all the types - so whatever. Not anyone else's business. Just join her or don't. No need to save her from herself. She isn't really doing anything wrong. B)

Don't see where anyone was saying she was doing anything wrong. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member

I saw the line "So, again, this is my OP:..." and any doubt I had about whether you were joking about "OP=older person" disappeared. Hope that you didn't interpret the explanations to mean everyone was underestimating you. People get in the habit of skimming. I enjoyed your dieting tale, btw, you've experienced a lot first hand.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Continued success.

I'm a blood type A, and have come to the conclusion that I function best with meat in my diet (near vegetarian most of my adult life). Neither my one example nor yours proves anything, we always have to go back to the science. Assuming you don't find other people who are currently following the Blood Type Diet, would one of the vegetarian or vegan groups suffice?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    One of the key indicators that this kind of stuff is woo is that when you look at a number of diets based on physical characteristics (blood type, body type, where you carry your fat and on and on), they completely contradict each other. Which characteristic do you pick to eat for? Whatever you pick is going to be bad for you no matter how you choose. It kind of makes my head spin.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    It sometimes takes a lifetime to discover what kind of foods work best for you.

The point people are essentially making here is that it doesn't have to take a lifetime to figure out how to lose weight.

The issue with restrictive and non-science based diets like these is that when people read about them, they are lead to believe that - in this instance - the only reason they haven't been successful in losing weight before is because they've been eating all the wrong foods for their blood type. Unfortunately, that just isn't true. They haven't been losing weight because they're eating too much every day - regardless of what they're actually eating - to achieve weight loss.

There are many diets based on arbitrary premises such as this one. The "Body Type Diet" (eating foods based solely on your body shape) is another. They are designed to appeal to people who have been unsuccessful in losing weight. They do so in a way that strikes a chord with most of them - the idea that their inability to lose weight in the past wasn't actually their responsibility or within their control. It's because they didn't know they had to eat according to their blood type or body shape. It's like they've found the Holy Grail.

Only they haven't. :(

So much this. I've lost weight a grand total of one time. I'm now several years into maintaining that loss. I'm very fortunate that I stumbled onto the truth right out the gate and that truth is that weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to calorie intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

I saw the line "So, again, this is my OP:..." and any doubt I had about whether you were joking about "OP=older person" disappeared. Hope that you didn't interpret the explanations to mean everyone was underestimating you. People get in the habit of skimming. I enjoyed your dieting tale, btw, you've experienced a lot first hand.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Continued success.

I'm a blood type A, and have come to the conclusion that I function best with meat in my diet (near vegetarian most of my adult life). Neither my one example nor yours proves anything, we always have to go back to the science. Assuming you don't find other people who are currently following the Blood Type Diet, would one of the vegetarian or vegan groups suffice?

I'm type A too and because of my Crohn's a vegetarian diet would just about kill me lol

Woot, blood budddies!
  • mrsbatman314
    mrsbatman314 Posts: 2 Member
    my massage therapist swears by it! I am A+ and interested in it! I have read all the comments and wow nothing like asking for one thing and being attacked...If it works for one stay with it if not don't...But don't tear others apart! That is not what these forums are for. I for one don't believe in shakes as meal replacements. Help yes but the whole meal...is that what ones goals are? Yes you will lose but when you start eating normal healthy food will you gain it all back..I have a friend who did those pregnancy hormones drops HGC...lost 75 lbs..once done (because you cant live on them) gain every pound back...but it was her choice and shouldn't be criticized...just my opinion!
This discussion has been closed.