Blood Type Diet Buddies?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i decided I need a petite female, O+, thyroid diet - can anyone help me?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Why not?

A+ here. No issues at all with beef. Or anything else, really. There are some things I don't personally like, but haven't had any issues with them other than taste and/or texture.

Blood-type diet fail.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I'm blood type A, and there is no way I could ever be happy as a vegetarian. Sorry. I have read up on the BTD, and I just can't get behind it. If it works for you, great, but its still "woo."
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    my massage therapist swears by it! I am A+ and interested in it! I have read all the comments and wow nothing like asking for one thing and being attacked...If it works for one stay with it if not don't...But don't tear others apart! That is not what these forums are for. I for one don't believe in shakes as meal replacements. Help yes but the whole meal...is that what ones goals are? Yes you will lose but when you start eating normal healthy food will you gain it all back..I have a friend who did those pregnancy hormones drops HGC...lost 75 lbs..once done (because you cant live on them) gain every pound back...but it was her choice and shouldn't be criticized...just my opinion!

Massage therapists have exactly zero hours of nutritional training. I wouldn't take my dietary advice from an MT. Absolutely no one has been attacking OP. Several people have encouraged her to continue to enjoy her dietary choices and the success she is finding with that. The science behind the diet is what's being questioned.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    my massage therapist swears by it! I am A+ and interested in it! I have read all the comments and wow nothing like asking for one thing and being attacked...If it works for one stay with it if not don't...But don't tear others apart! That is not what these forums are for. I for one don't believe in shakes as meal replacements. Help yes but the whole meal...is that what ones goals are? Yes you will lose but when you start eating normal healthy food will you gain it all back..I have a friend who did those pregnancy hormones drops HGC...lost 75 lbs..once done (because you cant live on them) gain every pound back...but it was her choice and shouldn't be criticized...just my opinion!

Massage therapists have exactly zero hours of nutritional training. I wouldn't take my dietary advice from an MT. Absolutely no one has been attacking OP. Several people have encouraged her to continue to enjoy her dietary choices and the success she is finding with that. The science behind the diet is what's being questioned.

That's not true actually,at least not in the UK - we do get some training in nutrition but it's basic and wouldn't cover anything that wasn't evidence based. Plus it's not really professional to be advising our clients about diet - I'd always advise them to see a doctor or qualified dietician. We're not att new age quacks :smile:
  • Kschmidt64
    Kschmidt64 Posts: 18 Member
    I am Type O. Believe it or not eating more meat (protein) I actually feel better. Surprisingly, what we eat does affect our blood as well as the rest of the body. Because of it I am over 200 pounds and taking my life back by having gastric sleeve done in March 2017. So for those of you who think its all baloney. Only some of it is true. I need to eat meat! I Like meat and it actually make me NOT want sweets. I like that !
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    But eating meat makes me feel good too and I'm type A.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    People with blood type A (like me), are supposed to under produce stomach acids, therefore should avoid meat, per Http://www.dadamo.com/

The problem is that I often OVER produce stomach acids and have the stomach polyps (ulcer scars) to prove it. Ditto for a bunch of family members. We've been keeping the PPI manufacturers of the world in business. Amusingly, some of the other analysis was a match. To me it's not impossible that we may be able to input our DNA into a computer at some point in the future and get a decent set of dietary guidelines back. But it would have to be much more specific than only one input slotting us into one of only four categories.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    stjohn8us wrote: »
    If OP stands for Old(er) Person, then that's me! o:) I'm 65. I’m not new to this field. I was a chubby baby and a pleasingly plump child, according to my mother. My weight fluctuated during my teens—mostly up. I used the Grapefruit Diet and the Cottage Cheese Diet among many other ancient weight-loss schemes.

After I had the first of my 3 children (1971) my doctor told me if I’d just eat less than 1000 calories per day, I’d lose weight. It didn’t matter what you ate, he said. You can eat ice cream all day if you want, and if it’s less than 1000 calories, you’ll lose weight, he said. And that’s what I did. Sometimes I’d save my whole day’s calories just to have some gooey, high-cal ice cream concoction. I lost the baby weight and then some within three months. I used the same method after the birth of babies 2 and 3. In between, not so good. I wasn’t out of my 30s yet.

But I was just using the fewer-calories-in-than-expended method (CICO), which was not based on good nutrition. During my 30s and 40s the “science” said high-fat diets were bad, so we all ate no-fat cookies, nonfat ice cream and no-fat cake and wondered why we were expanding still. Especially our waists. By the time I got to 50, carbs were deemed bad. Now, of course, it’s sugar. By the way, also by the time I reached 50 I had passed 200 pounds on my bathroom scale.

Over the years I’ve done Jane Fonda’s No Pain No Gain aerobics, step aerobics, meditation, acupuncture, yoga, Pilates (my fav), swimming, amphetamines, Fen-phen …all of it. You name it, I’ve done it.

My health was bad—partly because of poor diet choices; partly because of genes. At 50 I had severe asthma, arthritis, stomach ulcers, heartburn/GERD and IBS, hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, psoriasis, allergies, constipation big-time, idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, severe fatigue, etc., etc., etc. You get the picture.

I lost 70 pounds 15 years ago using first the Ornish Diet, which in the beginning banned nearly all carbohydrates, and then the South Beach Diet, which fit my hypoglycemia well and kept me from fainting. Somewhere in there people began to understand that 1000 calories was way too low for the average person, and that any way of eating that had the word Diet in it was an artificial way of eating. Also, that eating almost exclusively protein can wreck your kidneys. I lost the weight over a two-year period by eating 1200-1500 cal per day, depending on how active I was, eating nutritious food, and exercising in any way I could.

Now I’m 65, as I said. Fifteen years have passed since I lost the weight. And I’ve kept that weight off, within 5 pounds or so, up or down. But my health problems remained, for the most part. I’ve read more books on nutrition than I can count. I’ve looked at the science, the case studies. I did the research. I came across the Blood Type Diet about 10 years ago. Back then D’Adamo didn’t sell any products except for the book. First came the people and then the products, not the other way around. Just like the South Beach Diet, Atkins, etc., products became a big deal later on. And damn near everyone’s been on Dr. Oz. Guilt by association hardly seems fair, guys.

I said, “My roommate can't go a few days without beef. I'm nearly a vegetarian. Turns out her blood is type O (eat meat! eat meat!) and mine is type A (vegetarians rock).” Perhaps some in this group missed the point. I had become a near vegetarian because I couldn’t digest red meat and heavy, greasy chicken/turkey, yet I kept trying to keep protein in my life. Eggs and cheese get old. But a steak or hamburger would lie like dead weight in my stomach for days. My whole body ached from top to bottom. When I saw the profile of Type A, it was a huge relief to know I wasn’t crazy, that I really couldn’t digest red meat well, but at the same time I surely didn’t want to go vegetarian at all! Nothing happens overnight. I have worked at this all for years.

My roommate is much younger and newer at this than I. She has consistently carried 30+ excess pounds around and never been able to lose much weight—especially off her middle. She felt tremendous guilt eating red meat and eschewing “diet foods.” She tried just like I did to fit herself into something that was failing her. I’ve known her for 5 years and this is the first time I’ve ever seen her actually excited about eating well. And that’s what this is: eating well. It’s not dieting, or restricting, or denying oneself. It’s knowing that potatoes cause my arthritis to flare (and oranges too). It’s knowing that food is my friend and can make me feel oh so much better.

My asthma has virtually gone away. My stomach is finally right. No more gas, belching, bloating. No more constipation. My fatigue has lessened considerably. I can move again! So, bottom line: I didn’t come here to lose weight. I came to record what I eat and how I move to help myself be the best I can be. I use MyFitnessPal to be sure I’m getting all the nutrients I need and using all the tools available to me to live a happy, healthy life. The BTD way of eating fits my lifestyle.

So, again, here’s my OP: Hi! I'm blood type A and have been following the BTD for several years. It's the times when I get lazy and/or sloppy and eat "avoid" foods that I gain weight, become sluggish, sick, etc. I have lots of great recipes and good info on the Blood Type Diet. Looking for buddies to share with.

This is awesome!!

You will find that people can get carried away with their desire to be right and have a need to "set you straight." And I guess that is true in real life and the virtual world. You made if perfectly clear that you were looking for buddies to partner with. I'm not doing the BTD, but would be happy to have you as a MFP friend.

Best wishes on your journey and congratulations on maintaining your weight loss for so long!!!

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    People with blood type A (like me), are supposed to under produce stomach acids, therefore should avoid meat, per Http://www.dadamo.com/

The problem is that I often OVER produce stomach acids and have the stomach polyps (ulcer scars) to prove it. Ditto for a bunch of family members. We've been keeping the PPI manufacturers of the world in business. Amusingly, some of the other analysis was a match. To me it's not impossible that we may be able to input our DNA into a computer at some point in the future and get a decent set of dietary guidelines back. But it would have to be much more specific than only one input slotting us into one of only four categories.

I'm also an A on a PPI
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    stjohn8us wrote: »
    I lost the weight over a two-year period by eating 1200-1500 cal per day, depending on how active I was, eating nutritious food, and exercising in any way I could.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!!
This discussion has been closed.