200lbs when will the weightloss be noticeable?

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. Now before I get into my question I know I shouldn't change my lifestyle to receive comments from people, I'm just curious about others experiences.

So I'm currently 200lbs, 5'6" and have a pear shaped body.

I was wondering how much weight I will have to lose until people will notice a change?

Has anyone who started at my weight recall when people noticed your weight loss? And have any idea when people will notice mine?

Thanks !

Replies

• xandrapn6
    xandrapn6 Posts: 13 Member
    What I've heard is it usually takes people about 3 months to notice a change once you start working towards changes
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is something that has so many variables involved that it's all but impossible to know. It will depend on everything from how and where you carry your weight, how and where it starts to come off first, even how you dress/your clothes fit, how often you see people (people you see daily may be slower to notice a gradual change), and on and on. For me personally, I started getting comments about 20 pounds in from co-workers, etc. (I am a little shorter than you but started at roughly the same weight). I also carried my extra weight pretty proportionally all over, and mostly lost in the same fashion (I'm working on the last few pounds now, and those are mostly in my belly. Grr.). You may have a similar experience - or it may be much sooner or later. It's hard to say.

What I would suggest to you, and what I wish I'd done early on but didn't, is to take starting measurements and pictures. Then take updated versions of each every month or so - those things may help you see progress that the scale doesn't show. You got this!

Edited for typo.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I also think that if you are pear shaped, it takes longer. Those people closest to you more often are looking you in the eyes or looking at your face as you are talking. I lost almost 50 lbs and my best friends didn't really notice until we looked at old pictures. I took it as a compliment to mean that they never saw those 50 lbs in the first place!

If you carry more weight around your face or higher up on your belly it might be noticeable more quickly. Pictures again are good motivators!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I started at 230 lbs and got my first comments at 20lbs lost, though I think my family had their suspicions for a few weeks before they asked me outright. Funnily enough, I got my first comment at work the very next week.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    If you're bottom heavy (like me) I would say it will be when your face starts thinning out. I think we pears tend to lose from the top on down, so people will start seeing your face/neck/shoulders/arms change before the bottom half really catches up...simply because that's where the majority of our fluffiness is.

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    It varies but since you asked, I started at 204 (I'm 5'2") and no one seemed to notice until I got to 170.
    My family noticed after the first 10 pounds but they knew I needed a cheer squad and were aware I was trying.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I probably lost 20 lbs before anyone noticed. I've been at my current weight for probably a year or two and I still have people who come up to me and say, "You've lost some weight, haven't you?"

Most people really don't pay much attention to what other people look like. Sometimes they just happen to notice something that makes them realize that a person is thin or fat and then they will say something.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    For some reason people who haven't seen me in several months often ask if I've lost weight. This has been going on since I was 16 and seems to have little to do with how much I actually weigh in relation to when I saw them previously. Is this a social thing?
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks guys!
  • Kateisgonnalose
    Kateisgonnalose Posts: 12 Member
    For me, the first time I lost weight (argh) I started at 189 and people started commenting around 170. Now I am at 202 and I think the difference will start to be noticeable when I get down to the low 180s because my clothes will fit much better.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I started at 340, but it wasn't until I was around 260 that people started to notice. I am 6'5" Male.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    5'3.5 pear started at 200 - family and very close friends said something early (10-15 pounds gone) as they knew I was trying. General friends and others started to say something around 30 gone and now with 44 gone I get a LOT of comments from friends and acquaintances. I have lost over 8 months roughly.

Also for reference - I was pretty much always wearing the same tops, just a bit tighter, but pant size went from a VERY tight 14 to now an 8.
  • wyhone
    wyhone Posts: 13 Member
    I think it took the first 30 to 40 for people to notice. You are doing great and just keep at it, slow and steady. One of the things I've learned is that the smaller you get, the easier it is to spot additional weight loss as well, which is always so encouraging, so just keep at it. You are going to do great!
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member

cnbbnc wrote: »
    If you're bottom heavy (like me) I would say it will be when your face starts thinning out. I think we pears tend to lose from the top on down, so people will start seeing your face/neck/shoulders/arms change before the bottom half really catches up...simply because that's where the majority of our fluffiness is.

Love the use of the word 'fluffiness" haha :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    No one can tell you that unfortunately. Everyone is different!

But you can be sure that losing fat will be better for your health, self confidence and appearance.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    If you look at my picture in my profile I'm pear shaped and that was 30 lbs down. I'm down an additional 10 and I have friends that haven't said a word and to me its a huge difference.

I agree with the above posters outside of my immediate family, I think people don't know what to say. idk