Unrealistic Portion Sizes

mskimee
mskimee Posts: 228 Member
I notice a lot of the "Portion Sizes" on certain things are just odd. Like you have a bag of crisps thats 220g, but the portion size is 35g. So the bag contain 5 and a bit servings. Is this weird to anyone else or just to me? It's a pet peeve of mine, but I'm the only person I know that gets annoyed by this.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    mskimee wrote: »
    I notice a lot of the "Portion Sizes" on certain things are just odd. Like you have a bag of crisps thats 220g, but the portion size is 35g. So the bag contain 5 and a bit servings. Is this weird to anyone else or just to me? It's a pet peeve of mine, but I'm the only person I know that gets annoyed by this.

There have been tons of threads about it (all pretty entertaining, but if you ask me, those 1/3rd second sprays for PAM win the cake), but I believe labels are getting changed.

So a poptart package will be 1 serving instead of 1, same for soda bottles. Ice cream is going to be 3 servings a pint instead of 4. Hopefully it will make things easier.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    there are new regulations that are supposed to label foods both by "portion size" and what a normal person would eat (i.e. the entire bag) - I know that I've become much more aware of food labels since I started logging everything and opting for snacks that are 1 serving in a bag
  • rcoull75
    rcoull75 Posts: 47 Member
    Yeah, I hate this.

I pick up something I fancy, think "oh, the calories in this are not too bad", and then notice it is per tenth of the pack or something daft!!

So annoying, and many times not clear on the labels.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    It annoys me because I like round numbers/equal divisions. The ones I'm really bothered by (enough that I don't buy them anymore) are cookies that have 2 per serving but 21 cookies per box. Da *kitten*?

This is the only thing that bugs me. And, I suppose things that look like single serving and aren't, but I don't buy any of those (single serving yogurts ARE single servings, despite people using the pop example even a 20 oz soda seems to be one serving -- which is huge). But stop with 3.5, make it 3 or 4! And have 20 or 22 cookies, agreed.
  • lemurcat12
    Try figuring out popcorn sometime. Way more difficult than 1/3 spray of Pam. I was thinking about hiring a NASA scientist to help me figure it out.

I hate buying snack packs of things, and it says 2.5 servings. Like, how does that work? Or some drinks say two servings to a single can of soda. So, why do you put 2 servings in a single can of soda?

Popcorn is super annoying. Check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10507605/popcorn-question

On the drinks, I've never seen that on a diet coke (again, including a huge 20 oz'er which is 1 serving), and assume any other soda would be the same. Someone said it was energy drinks that have the multiple servings, or maybe juice?

I suspect the 2.5 serving nonsense comes from gov't set serving sizes, but am coming around to the idea that requiring whole unit serving sizes plus the 100 g addition (even if I personally would normally ignore it on the foods I eat with labels) would be the way to go.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Try figuring out popcorn sometime. Way more difficult than 1/3 spray of Pam. I was thinking about hiring a NASA scientist to help me figure it out.

I hate buying snack packs of things, and it says 2.5 servings. Like, how does that work? Or some drinks say two servings to a single can of soda. So, why do you put 2 servings in a single can of soda?

Popcorn is super annoying. Check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10507605/popcorn-question

On the drinks, I've never seen that on a diet coke (again, including a huge 20 oz'er which is 1 serving), and assume any other soda would be the same. Someone said it was energy drinks that have the multiple servings, or maybe juice?

I suspect the 2.5 serving nonsense comes from gov't set serving sizes, but am coming around to the idea that requiring whole unit serving sizes plus the 100 g addition (even if I personally would normally ignore it on the foods I eat with labels) would be the way to go.

Popcorn is so annoying that I don't even buy microwave popcorn any more. I either buy kernels and whirly pop them myself so I can weigh the kernels and oil I use, or I buy pre-popped popcorn and weigh it by the serving size. I freaking love popcorn, but that *kitten* stresses me out.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I find it infuriating (like minor traffic offences).
  • lemurcat12

Popcorn is so annoying that I don't even buy microwave popcorn any more. I either buy kernels and whirly pop them myself so I can weigh the kernels and oil I use, or I buy pre-popped popcorn and weigh it by the serving size. I freaking love popcorn, but that *kitten* stresses me out.

Heh, that's similar to what I said in the linked thread, and I wasn't the only one.

I did finally figure out the stupid labels in answering that thread. But I find the popcorn ones confusing and I read complex commercial contracts and statutes and SEC disclosures for a living.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

I bought some Sparkling Ice the other day, it was 2 servings for a bottle, at 0 calories a serving. I'm assuming the bottle really was 10-15 calories (and it was disgustingly sweet).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

If pre-popped popcorn were low sodium, I'd buy that and at least get some flavor with it. I have a box of mini micro popcorn bags so I can eat the whole bag without needing to drag out and clean my popcorn maker. I miss "normal" tasting popcorn. Unflavored popcorn is basically sad in a bag to me.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »

I bought some Sparkling Ice the other day, it was 2 servings for a bottle, at 0 calories a serving. I'm assuming the bottle really was 10-15 calories (and it was disgustingly sweet).

Ah. When someone says soda I just assume they mean classic sodas (pop) like Coke, etc.

Those things have some tiny amount of juice, I wonder if that adds a few calories beyond what would be in the same amount of diet coke.

Less than 5 is rounded down, so total would be less than 10, not 10-15, no?
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Portion control is always a problem for me. I have gotten better and have actually started to measure out a lot of foods, for example, the other night I had spaghetti sauce on my pasta and actually measured out the sauce so I could accurately log my numbers.

The problem I have with logging is that the measurements do not always match. For example, MFP may have [per ounce, per 8oz, per 1 cup] but the food you are eating is measure in units such as [service size = 3 cookies], so I end up guesstimating the equivalence. I always try to over estimate so my cal. err on the higher side. But it makes it more difficult to accurately track your intake.

This is only complicated more when you are not at home and do not have the tools to accurately measure out your portions. When I am at work and eating at the cafeteria, I often find myself having to guesstimate. This makes portion planning much more difficult.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Pre-logging my dinner and a serving of Ore Ida Crispy Crowns is 11 tater tots. WHO EATS JUST 11 TATER TOTS?? :s I do now, apparently...

sadly, if you weighed the tots and compared them to the grams listed for the 11 tot serving you'd be further disappointed. it's usually closer to 9 tots.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Pre-logging my dinner and a serving of Ore Ida Crispy Crowns is 11 tater tots. WHO EATS JUST 11 TATER TOTS?? :s I do now, apparently...

sadly, if you weighed the tots and compared them to the grams listed for the 11 tot serving you'd be further disappointed. it's usually closer to 9 tots.

Thanks - I'll weigh them to be sure! These are the flat discs not typical tater tot shaped so I'm not giving up hope yet :p
  • em_glidd
    em_glidd Posts: 10 Member
    I hate this! For pickle spears, a serving is usually like 2/3 of a spear. Who would do that?!