Keto straight talk

Replies

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    What an amazing eye-opening read!! I see exactly these kind of crazy conversations on a forum I belong to on faceache so may embrace and drop this article in there!!!
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Be brave - not embrace!! :D
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    That was a really insightful read; thanks so much for posting!

Also, it struck me how she happened to list my own circumstances 3 in a row here. :)

Like I said in the fasting post: different goals might require different strategies. What are you looking to accomplish? Do you have cancer? Do you have Alzheimer’s? Have you suffered a traumatic brain injury? ** Do you have multiple sclerosis? Do you have PCOS? Are you trying to lose body fat? ** Are you an endurance athlete? Are you a powerlifter? Are you underweight and looking to gain mass? What is YOUR #context? The exact same dietary approach might not be suitable for all of these circumstances.
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Bump to follow. I need to have time to sit and focus while reading this. Thank you for sharing.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    Thanks so much for posting this! What a great read!!! And I was feeling like dooky, because someone said that I ate too many veggies to be low carb.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2017
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thanks for sharing the link.

Over the last two years I have evolved in the direction of her thinking since pain management and improving health markers is more important to me than more weight loss today.

I knew my time to reverse my years of health decline was short in the fall of 2014 so was more focused on ketosis. I am no longer enslaved by a driving force to live on carbs.

Thanks again.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    I had an ALCAT test done recently and BINGO...gluten allergy. Which I had already figured out just by noticing my tendency to binge on bread.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Love! Thank you for sharing!!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited January 2017
    Love. It.

I printed it for easier reading and highlighting!

Thanks!
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Great read, have to admit I needed to read this too
  • pjdunning
    pjdunning Posts: 15 Member
    Wow thanks for sharing this!!! It really hit home.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    I agree that one may eat too much fat or reduce veggies too much when one is trying to lose weight on keto. I find I do better when I eat more lower carb vegetables (I actually don't even count the carbs of greens, eat as much as I want) and eat some berries most days. And with moderate carb foods, quantities may matter. I am capable of eating a ton of carrots if I let myself.

One thing that is important to remember in finding balance seems to me though to be aware that too much protein will turn into glucose. It took me a while to understand this because I had the impression I needed low carb high protein and I simply wouldn't lose with high protein.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2017
    solska wrote: »
    I agree that one may eat too much fat or reduce veggies too much when one is trying to lose weight on keto. I find I do better when I eat more lower carb vegetables (I actually don't even count the carbs of greens, eat as much as I want) and eat some berries most days. And with moderate carb foods, quantities may matter. I am capable of eating a ton of carrots if I let myself.

One thing that is important to remember in finding balance seems to me though to be aware that too much protein will turn into glucose. It took me a while to understand this because I had the impression I needed low carb high protein and I simply wouldn't lose with high protein.

I agree some may do well with high protein but after years of atkins Induction phase and failing it doesn't work for me. I don't think fat is the demon, it's all about balance and what works for the individual
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2017
    Cadori wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, I'm only on point 3, but YES!!!!!

LOVED this:

Naiman%2B2.jpg

And TIL: I'm "casual Keto"

I don't agree with this if you are LC under 15g a day than all that is left for you is protein if you cut out fat, maybe it works for most but not for all. I do agree that fat to much fat isn't the way to go but come really what is the message here?
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    There are people who believe the reason this woe works is because fat is magical if worked in their macros. They will overcompensate fat and then feel frustrated when they are not losing weight. In other words there is no need to add copious amounts of fat for this LCHF to work. Our bodies will use the fat we already have stored as fuel, thus resulting in true fat loss. It's the LC part that helps lose weight. In my situation, my weight loss slowed to a crawl since I wasn't watching my cals too. Now I still eat HF food because that's my preference and too many carbs affects my blood sugar levels
    Now I try to watch portions and stop when I'm full which is not that difficult on this woe. But i had been eating out of habit so I know that was affecting my weight loss too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    The person losing 2 pounds a week is automatically adding about a thousand calories a day to their CI.