How many carrots is too many?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I wonder what other colors you can turn? Orange from carrots/sweet potatoes to excess as mentioned above. Blue from colloidal silver. Yellow from liver failure (jaundice).

green from broccoli \o/ finally a reason to avoid it.

**i eat it. i just never have understood why people are so excited by the fact it exists.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Thanks for reminding me I had carrots in the fridge. Keyword here is "had". :smiley:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,968 Member
    I wonder what other colors you can turn? Orange from carrots/sweet potatoes to excess as mentioned above. Blue from colloidal silver. Yellow from liver failure (jaundice).

some peoples urine does turn pink on lots of beetroot

and iron supplements make your poo black.

I think one would have to eat an enormous amount of carrots before the calorie content or the sugar content became an issue - I mean, they have calories and they have sugar so it is possible - but I doubt anyone makes or breaks their weight loss progress on excessive carrots.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The orange colour comes from the carotene. Check the whites of your eyes. They may turn orange first.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    You won me over at Bugs Bunny hahahaha
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

I think one would have to eat an enormous amount of carrots before the calorie content or the sugar content became an issue - I mean, they have calories and they have sugar so it is possible - but I doubt anyone makes or breaks their weight loss progress on excessive carrots.

I have orange tinged palms and feet despite not eating a massive amount of orange vegetables. I wanted to see if I could get them to go back to normal, so experimented by only eating green vegetables for a couple of months, my poo was green. And I still have orange palms and feet :s
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    35 g is not much :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I knew an orange guy, he ate carrots nonstop. His weight was great.

I keep seeing pictures and video of an orange guy. I don't know if it's from carrots, but he tells everybody that he's great. Huge, even, but in a good way.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,968 Member
    Oh the Mr T guy??? (not allowed to mention politics on main forum ;) )

He doesn't look healthy weight level though - perhaps it is all the carrots LOL
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @livingleanlivingclean I think I spotted your problem. Dark leafy greens are also high in vitamin A.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/nutrition/vitamina.htm
  • livingleanlivingclean
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @livingleanlivingclean I think I spotted your problem. Dark leafy greens are also high in vitamin A.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/nutrition/vitamina.htm

My vitamin a levels are on the low side of fine. Beta carotene on the other hand is extremely excessive. I think I have an issue converting beta carotene to vit a....

(and the majority of my green veg was zucchini, celery and asparagus. I can't eat a lot of broccoli and don't really eat spinach or kale)
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    I find it rather odd that if you eat too many carrots it can turn your skin orange when carrots were originally purple....
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    People have already covered the correct answers. I just wanted to chime in that this post reminded me of the episode of House when the guy came to the ER bright orange and House messed with him instead of just telling him to cut back on the carrots. Good times!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    hazcad wrote: »
    I find it rather odd that if you eat too many carrots it can turn your skin orange when carrots were originally purple....

Why? I presume we're talking about orange carrots, not purple carrots... Perhaps if we eat too many of those we'd look like a grape!
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    hazcad wrote: »

Carrots have always come in a variety of colors, but the purple carrots were once more popular than other colors and more common. Yellow and white carrots are not some kind of new invention, they developed on their own in the wild. Orange carrots were created as a mutation of other breeds more frequently once people realized they taste a million times better than the purple variety. The very thing that turned the carrots orange is what turns you orange if you have too much of it. The same thing that turns carrots orange also turns squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, orange peppers and other orange foods orange. Different colored foods have slightly different chemical makeups even if they come from the same plant. If this weren't the case, why even bother making different varieties?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    In the uk you can get golden carrots and purple carrots!
    Also I like my carrots roasted in olive oil so probably there is such a thing as too many
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    People have already covered the correct answers. I just wanted to chime in that this post reminded me of the episode of House when the guy came to the ER bright orange and House messed with him instead of just telling him to cut back on the carrots. Good times!

That show was great. Really miss it!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    All that fiber can cause other problems...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Some years back, the dye from the Walmart brand crystal light raspberry flavor would turn your poop red.

Had a scare the first time