New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• sylfo60
    sylfo60 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello there, I am kind of new at MFP and I am searching for all kinds of help I can get. That is how I bumped into this group.

I am 31, trying to loose about 30 kg and sincerely I am not finding it easy. And I am starting to worry about this, because if this is the way it is going to be the rest of my life I find it pretty discouraging … so here I am trying to understand this. Can you guys suggest me where to start, what to read, what guidelines use because I am starting to feel lost. :/

Thanks
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Welcome @sylfo60
    the best place to start is with our stickies at the top of this community page. It has a bunch of our guides to get you started understanding how this process works. Our starter kit is a perfect place to begin
    www.em2wl.com/start

Get reading, and then we are here to help:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    Hi my name is Shellan. I would like to loose a few inches in my middle and tighten and tone all over.
  • lustilu
    lustilu Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I'm Natalie. Turning 40 this year October and I'm going to look as good as I did when I was 20. I've already lost 75 lbs and I've got 25 more to go but I really need to firm up. I've cut out a lot of junk food and started working out daily but these last 25 lbs are proving harder to lose. Help me firm up, build muscle and look even better then I used to twenty years ago.
  • sunniebass1378
    sunniebass1378 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi! My name is Sunnie. I have been using MFP for awhile now, but happened across this group today. Read alot of info on it and am really curious about this process (also, its getting harder and harder to stay at the 1200 calorie limit set by MFP even after "earning" calories back from workouts). I go over my calorie goal, and then get upset. But if what I am reading is correct then I am doing my body no favors! That is also a bit upsetting as I have been consistent is logging food and exercising 4 to 5 times a week for almost a month now (fell off the wagon come holiday time and started back Jan 1st). I am 39 years old, 5'2", currently at 160 lbs now, and my goal is 140 lbs. I am really hoping that this program can help me not only reach that goal weight, but be toned and energized as well. I have 4 children and i need all the energy I can get :wink:
  • ErikaN84
    ErikaN84 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey All,

I just joined MFP and have much success so far but there has to be more then watching to 1200 calories. I definitely love food more the exercise, buy hey who doesn't. I want to enjoy the journey and not regret the journey!

Erika
  • rhbrand
    rhbrand Posts: 11 Member
    Kind of made a new thread already, but I'll say HI here too.
    I'm Rhonda. Night shift nurse, and I'm tired of trying to live on 1500 or fewer calories a day. I'm 5'2" tall, and around 183lbs. Excited to get started and start seeing some positive changes in my body.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Hi I'm Yvonne. I spent most of my teens and early twenties yoyoing and each time it resulted in a higher ending weight. A few years ago I followed my mfp food diary for about 4 months and was doing well with my weight loss and then got distracted by a bulk that revealed a problem with my back that took a few months of chiropractics and pt to fix but in the meantime I lost motivation to log in every day and ended up at my heaviest yet. I got to 255 and I've been back on mfp for a few weeks and have lost a couple pounds but my goal is to lose 100 pounds in 2 1/2 years and I've been on enough super restricting diets to know that there's got to be a better way. That's why I'm here. I don't have a fitbit but that's not going to stop me.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @Shellanfit and @lustilu
    The key to 'toning' and getting that youthful firm look is strength training.
    We have loads of workouts over on our website for you to check out
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/
    You can get loads of information from the stickies at the top of this group.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Hi @sunniebass1378 , @ErikaN84 , @rhbrand and @demorelli
    Welcome to the group!
    Yup, 1200 calories is no way to go! Check out our calculator to see how much you should be eating http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    If you have a history of low calorie eating, I would suggest you look at doing a metabolic reset http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    Plus, all the stickies at the top of this group will give you all the info you need.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • sunniebass1378
    sunniebass1378 Posts: 4 Member
    @empressichel Thanks for the welcome and the request :) I have decided to do the reset since i have been running between 1400-1200 calories for almost a year on MFP. My calculated TDEE is 2252. I will up my calorie intake by 100 (so from 1200 to 1300) and reset my macros to 40/30/30, carbs, protien, fat. I will need some help to make sure I am doing this right. If what I am reading is correct, then I should gain, then level out back to 160..and then go up another 100 after that level out. Is that the general idea?
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi I'm Leanne. I am new to the concept but not new to losing weight. I've always lost weight, got comfortable, and then gained it all back. I am currently in the "trying to lose weight category". I've currently been eating between 1000 and 1400 calories a day to lose weight but it isn't really working for me. I just calculated my BMR as 1537, TDEE as 2438 (2224 is the fitbit average), and Calorie goal for loss is 2072 using the calculator or 1981 using the fitbit average. The thought of eating so much is scary. Today I am trying to eat 2072 calories (or should it be 1981). I have my macros set at 40/30/30. Oh and I'm 5'3 3/4" and 176 lbs.
  • alvgon85
    alvgon85 Posts: 3 Member
    HI everyone! my name is Alva. I am new to this concept but scared/ interested. I am 31 and weigh 193lbs, currently MFP has me at 1290 calories. The idea of eating more is a little odd for me but am willing to try anything at this point. if anyone has any tips please send them my way :smile:
  • empressichel
    @empressichel Thanks for the welcome and the request :) I have decided to do the reset since i have been running between 1400-1200 calories for almost a year on MFP. My calculated TDEE is 2252. I will up my calorie intake by 100 (so from 1200 to 1300) and reset my macros to 40/30/30, carbs, protien, fat. I will need some help to make sure I am doing this right. If what I am reading is correct, then I should gain, then level out back to 160..and then go up another 100 after that level out. Is that the general idea?

Hi
    Yes and no! You don't always gain when adding calories at first.
    Don't let anything the scale says throw you off.
    Just concentrate on adding back those calories 100 per week.
    So pleased you've decided to reset. It is so worth it if you can just give yourself the time and patience.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    leanne0605 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Leanne. I am new to the concept but not new to losing weight. I've always lost weight, got comfortable, and then gained it all back. I am currently in the "trying to lose weight category". I've currently been eating between 1000 and 1400 calories a day to lose weight but it isn't really working for me. I just calculated my BMR as 1537, TDEE as 2438 (2224 is the fitbit average), and Calorie goal for loss is 2072 using the calculator or 1981 using the fitbit average. The thought of eating so much is scary. Today I am trying to eat 2072 calories (or should it be 1981). I have my macros set at 40/30/30. Oh and I'm 5'3 3/4" and 176 lbs.

Hi Leanne
    Welcome to the group. Good to see you have done your calculations already.
    I know that much food can seem daunting at first when we've been used to low calorie.
    Just take it up slowly by about 100 a week if it feels too much to jump straight up.
    Some people get there by increasing slowly, which is recommended to minimize fat gain, bloating and mental freak out! Other people choose the rip the band aid off approach and just jump straight to TDEE. It's up to you what you feel comforatble with.
    This is a great read on what to expect:
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    I'm new to mfp, joined 2 weeks ago after deciding to cut eat down on sugar at christmas. I'm trying to hit macros at 30 30 40 but struggling with protein. Any help appreciated
  • Raynn1
    alvgon85 wrote: »
    HI everyone! my name is Alva. I am new to this concept but scared/ interested. I am 31 and weigh 193lbs, currently MFP has me at 1290 calories. The idea of eating more is a little odd for me but am willing to try anything at this point. if anyone has any tips please send them my way :smile:

Welcome to the group Alva! It can be very scary for anyone to think they actually need more food than the MFP set has you at. But it is so true.. 1290 cals is what a small child eats in a day.. and You are certainly NOT a child:)
    Try our calculator to see what your calorie level SHOULD actually be and work your way up to there:) Its not a quick fix, this is a long haul way of thinking, so don't expect to eat more and the weight magically vanish, cause it won't:) This is about undoing the damage from past diets and healing the broken metabolism so YEARS from now you are never relying on a diet to lose weight, and can enjoy eating anything with pleasure and not guilt:)

http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    pamfgil wrote: »
    I'm new to mfp, joined 2 weeks ago after deciding to cut eat down on sugar at christmas. I'm trying to hit macros at 30 30 40 but struggling with protein. Any help appreciated

Hey Pamfgil welcome to the group! Protein can be very daunting to members because they dont realise how much protein we actually should be eating. I remember in my WW days, they used to tell me that 40g of protein was all I needed... Now i eat almost 250g of protein daily. Its a work in progress though and can take many many months to increase, so do it slowly and work on finding good protein sources for you.
    OUr protein challenge is a great place to start for some helpful ideas and a challenge to get you thinking more about it
    www.em2wl.com/protein

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • Hey Ya'll! I'm Maddie, And I need to lose about 50 lbs. I just wanted some people to keep me accountable and help me with my weight loss journey!
  • Cindysts
    Cindysts Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm Cindy. I've been trying to lose weight by following Dr. Phil's 20/20 Diet, but I'm not having any luck, and I'm actually gaining weight! I'm hoping someone in this group has a similar issue - menopause is fairly recent (about 1 year), and suddenly my body seems to gain weight when I look at food. I exercise and measure my food, but I'm getting nowhere fast! Help!