do you ever get frustrated with public perception with your diet?

tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
I mean I hear all the time "I fell off the wagon today" blah blah blah.

And I want so badly to say "Give low carb a shot" but if you say anything you get the nasty eye.

Dude it's so easy to stick with. Sure, while I was making my son chocolate cupcakes with homemade butter cream icing I had the urge. Who wouldn't? (don't judge, it was an agreement he and I made)

but I didn't eat one. I MAY have licked the icing off of a finger or two out of habbit. But I don't CRAVE.

Yet we get total crap for the diet.

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I don't experience that. I work in a corporate environment with 130 staff. I am not the only low carber here. And I have never once experienced any negative opinion on low carb. Generally the ones who do eat carbs will say with an almost guilty look on their face "I like carbs" but they know bread and pasta are not the best choices. Only thing anyone has ever said to me is "you don't eat fruit?" with surprise. I tell them no, fruit contains too much sugar and I get "yeah, but it's natural sugar, it's good for you". You and I know that's b.s. but I just let it go with a smile.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    My worst is ordering at restaurants. I find myself prefacing my order with "this will sound weird but..." However, the waitstaff always have been cordial. I've even got, "not weird at all". So it is mostly me, I know.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    suzqtme wrote: »
    My worst is ordering at restaurants. I find myself prefacing my order with "this will sound weird but..." However, the waitstaff always have been cordial. I've even got, "not weird at all". So it is mostly me, I know.

We eat out all the time. Waitresses are used to people who don't eat bread or pasta or rice, I've never had one blink an eye. Even at the pub I will ask for "no fries, just some steamed vegetables or green salad" and it's never been an issue. Most burger joints do a lettuce wrap. I don't eat at Asian restaurants as their food is full of sugar. I think keeping it simple is the key. Meat, salad, veg.

The ONLY time I can think of that my low carb way of eating has ever been an issue, and this has happened more than once, is practically ANYWHERE that sells coffee. No matter how fancy or how big their range. Generally I'll ask for a black coffee add cream. I usually get a blank stare like I asked for fairy dust. They'll then tell me they have cream in the cream whipper at which point I'll say "does it have sugar in it" and they'll shrug and say "I don't know". I don't even bother anymore. I will usually just drink it black. One day I went into the supermarket, bought a small tub of cream, then went across the mall and got a black coffee, added some cream and threw the rest in the bin. SMH.

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Just from my MIL. Nobody else bats an eye or cares, to my knowledge. I also don't advertise or discuss my dietary preferences, I just eat.

This is good advice for all of us.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    suzqtme wrote: »

I guarantee whatever you are ordering isn't the weirdest order. I order plain meat, no veggies or condiments (I'm carnivore) all the time. I order clearly, kindly, and without apology or explanation of my WOE. I've only had pleasant restaurant experiences.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    No, not really. I eat whole foods and exercise, people just think I'm healthy. Online there's still a stigma or negative connotation with the low carb label but in real life it's just not something I talk about so it's a non issue.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2017
    I get the comments from friends who say they could never give up carbs thats all the yummy food.
    Bread, pasta, rice and potatoes all need things like fat and protein to make them yummy IMHO.
    Gimme the meat, eggs and cheese! I make a fauxtatoe salad that blows them away
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I don't tell people, it's no ones business. If it comes up, I limit bread as much as possible bc it makes me break out. And spikes my blood sugar too much. It's the truth
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    If someone asks me, "why...?", I make a quick assessment of their motivation for asking and respond..... appropriately.

• nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2017
    Oh yah absolutely! I get bashed on social media but I get a lot of support from family and my loved ones. My boyfriend is sick of me complaining about people on Facebook. He's right tho, this is my journey and my body. Who cares what some strangers think
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've just a had a few comments from family members about "when are you going to go back to eating normally?" After a year and a half, its stopped now... But then again, when I am out with family, those tend to be the meals when I eat the most carbs. It's less than them but not shockingly so.

ETA that on the web is another matter. ;)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Perhaps it's because I'm older, but in my everyday life I encounter friend after friend on statins, on MEDS for acid reflux, additional MEDS to control their blood sugar & high blood pressure and it's all I can do to refrain from trying to explain/convert .........yes and one & all they're overweight.
    IRL my friends have no interest in omitting bread, pasta, rice & grains---omit sugar , no way it's happening.
    We're talking here about ppl who take 8-10+ pills everyday...... we are together and eat out together several times a week, so they're very much aware of how and what I eat.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Bunless* - not boundless! Though it was pretty big so maybe...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Bunless* - not boundless! Though it was pretty big so maybe...

Darn... I thought maybe it was 'all you can eat', lol. What a dipstick she was... My local Burger King doesn't have a problem, neither does Carl's Junior.