How much have you lost? How long did it take? Where did you start? Best tips.

Options
2»

Replies

• TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started January 2016, fell off the wagon over the summer, and re-started this fall, along with joining a gym. My motivation is a surprise 50th birthday trip to Cuba for my hubby at the end of February. In the last year I have lost 25 pounds, and after my 3 month re-assessment at the gym, I'm down 20 pounds (included in that 25) and 13 inches. I've gone from a snug size 16 pant to a lose 14, and could probably squeeze into a 12, but haven't tried yet.

I am a tad frustrated at the "belly roll" that just doesn't seem to want to go away. I've had a few slips here and there food wise (over the holidays) but when I have a bad food choice day, I start right back again the next day. I'm sticking to under 30g net carbs most days, some days I'm as high as 40. I don't think I'm getting enough fat in my day though.

I do feel better, and I'm no longer winded going up a flight of stairs. Daily gym visits are life now, not feeling forced into going. I bought 2 bathing suits - swim dresses - online and I'm really happy with how they fit (never thought I'd see the day).

I'm also not 20 any more! I know that being much closer to 50 than 40 and entering that pre-menopause state of life, it is much harder to take the weight off than it was 12 years ago when I did Atkins and lost 80 lbs. I also work with sugar for a living (cake designer) - I don't usually eat any of it, just a small taste here and there for quality control.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    27.5 lbs since the end of October. I also weigh daily, but I only log my weight when I go below my previous lowest weight!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I began LCHF two years ago, and my weight was 231(the lowest Ihad gotten to after weight loss surgery!), and in June/July, 2016 I made it to a normal BMI (164). That's 67 pounds in 16 months. I felt 164 was too thin for my 5'8-5'9 height, so I've been maintaining 170-175 since then. Maintenance has seemed easy for me so far (somehow!)! Even adding some whole food carbs (sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions maybe twice a week) before my health snafoo that began in September!
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey for a year now for weight loss and other health benefits.

20 kilos lost in 9 months low carb,
    13 kilos lost in 3 months keto
    - still 10 kilo to go :)
    Best tips:
    1. just keep on going, if you slip, get back on track with your next meal.
    2. read the low carb forum for hints, tips and motivation (and often a laugh too)
    3 . book mark the success stories and refer to them often (if they can do it we can)
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wow it's really awesome to see you guys' success.
    I started Dec26. In a little over a month I've lost 13lbs. I'm not a pure Keto dieter because I eat a ton of green vegetables, kiwi fruits, Greek yogurt and whole milk for their nutritional reasons. I'm absolutely 100% starch and processed food free dieter.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have lost 11kg since the end of Nov 2016. I had a BMI of 24 to begin so it's been a slow road but I have enjoyed it!

I am now 143 and will maintain at 141. Looking forward to eating 50g carbs per day and having some sweet potato!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    16 years ago I lost 85 lbs doing low carb.....but I didnt know thats what it was then. I just gave up bread, alcohol (except vodka) and dessert. I kept that off through my first jobs post college and marriage and then I had 2 difficult pregnancies that included bed rest, babies in and out of the, hospital, post partum anxiety and I gained 65 of those lbs back through comfort eating and a loss of focus on the exercise (triathalons) that make me happy. Frankly I lost me during those 5 years.

2 years ago my Dr said I needed to seriously consider eating less than 35 grams of carbs a day. I did that cold turkey and couldn't make it through the first 2 months. I gave up and went back, to comfort....food.

18 months ago (and frankly 5 years of therapy helped) I decided I needed to take care of myself. I didnt cold turkey it this time. I've worked the LCHF lifestyle so it meets my needs and I'm on my way back down to 200. Which is a good weight for my 5'11" height.

2 weeks ago the group at work started a new years change and I'm in it to win the 300 bucks. We will weigh in officially again Wednesday but my home scale says I'm down 10 lbs. I plan to be pretty hard core as a boost to my progress for the next 6 weeks of the challange, but this time I want to focus on healthy me. Not the immediate scale numbers. For instance, I got my wedding ring back,on for the first time since I had to take it off cause my fingers got too fat. I'm pretty proud of that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    16 years ago I lost 85 lbs doing low carb.....but I didnt know thats what it was then. I just gave up bread, alcohol (except vodka) and dessert. I kept that off through my first jobs post college and marriage and then I had 2 difficult pregnancies that included bed rest, babies in and out of the, hospital, post partum anxiety and I gained 65 of those lbs back through comfort eating and a loss of focus on the exercise (triathalons) that make me happy. Frankly I lost me during those 5 years.

2 years ago my Dr said I needed to seriously consider eating less than 35 grams of carbs a day. I did that cold turkey and couldn't make it through the first 2 months. I gave up and went back, to comfort....food.

18 months ago (and frankly 5 years of therapy helped) I decided I needed to take care of myself. I didnt cold turkey it this time. I've worked the LCHF lifestyle so it meets my needs and I'm on my way back down to 200. Which is a good weight for my 5'11" height.

2 weeks ago the group at work started a new years change and I'm in it to win the 300 bucks. We will weigh in officially again Wednesday but my home scale says I'm down 10 lbs. I plan to be pretty hard core as a boost to my progress for the next 6 weeks of the challange, but this time I want to focus on healthy me. Not the immediate scale numbers. For instance, I got my wedding ring back,on for the first time since I had to take it off cause my fingers got too fat. I'm pretty proud of that.

Great story! So happy to hear you're focused on health and not just scale numbers.
    Last year @collegefbfan won a diet challenge and some cash. :)
    I think I'm remembering the right person... hopefully...
    You've definitely got a secret weapon on your side! I wouldn't be too eager to share it until after the contest! ;)