Does anyone know how to make oatmeal thick

Options
4llenramos
4llenramos Posts: 4 Member
As the title says does anyone have a good oats to water ratio for thick oatmeal???

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Usually a 2:1 liquid to oats but add more oats for thicker. Just a couple of tablespoons more. Let it stand for a minute or two after microwaving or cooking on stove. It thickens as it sits. I use old fashioned not quick too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you want it thicker than the package instructions add a quarter cup more oats. The typical ratio is one cup dry oats to two cups water.

Cook in milk.

Stir in whey protein after cooking.

Follow this microwave method.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYGdBkIOQs
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to thicken it up, usually 10-15g.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    If I forget mine in the microwave it thickens up. lol Doesn't take long and a spoon will stand straight up! I also do 1/2c old fashioned oats to 1c water and do 2 mins in microwave covered. I add Sunflower Nut butter, chia seeds and whatever else I'm in the mood for when I do remember to take it out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use less water. I don't have a ratio because I never measure the water. I add enough for the oats to be wet. I don't cook my oats either, but I don't use the type that requires cooking because I'm lazy.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to mine as well as peanut butter
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Main thing is to microwave them for a longer period of time, they get a thicker consistency easily. The ratio is rather up to you, I sometimes even use 50 grams of oat with 200 grams of milk and it can still get pretty thick given time.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just use whole oats (not the quick cooking type) 1/3 cup cover with boiling water in a pot... put the lid on to steam in the water) while I am preparing other stuff. Add 30g smooth ricotta cheese and more water to suit cook gently ... stirring as needed. The ricotta give the protein and makes it nice and creamy without having to add milk. Makes up enough for me but you can add more oats or ricotta to suit.
  • romica13
    romica13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the jumbo oats 25gm and 1tablespoon of oatmeal bran. Mix well with 200ml of water and microwave on high for 2.5 min and then stir. Microwave for a further 2.5 mini on 600 and then stir and let rest. With 1 teaspoon of sugar sprinkled on top and 20ml of cold milk it makes a thick and satisfying breakfast and only 149cal. Enjoy.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use steel cut oats. It is always thick. 1 cup oats to 3 cups water.
    I pretty much think any oatmeal is thick when you cook it from scratch.

For instant, use less liquid.
  • bluebirds5
    bluebirds5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We like 1:1 ratio you can always add a bit of tap water after cooking if it is too thick...
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup old fashioned oats to 1 cup water. However, when I use milk, then it's only 3/4 cup as for some reason it's more runny when I use a full cup of milk.

PS ... I used to use Chia seed to thicken my oatmeal. Sometimes I put in a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I thought that only my daughter was helpless when it came to oatmeal. It seems pretty straightforward to me. More oats or less liquid. She makes me make it cause its soupy if she does and no matter how often I tell her to use common sense and lessen the water, she still drowns it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    4llenramos wrote: »
    As the title says does anyone have a good oats to water ratio for thick oatmeal???

1/4 cup steel cut oats - 1 cup water / 1/3 cup instant steel cut (like Coaches) - 1 cup water

It's really up to you how thick (or runny) you like it. Refrigerate your cooked oats and they will be super thick.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I thought that only my daughter was helpless when it came to oatmeal. It seems pretty straightforward to me. More oats or less liquid. She makes me make it cause its soupy if she does and no matter how often I tell her to use common sense and lessen the water, she still drowns it.

Oatmeal issues do come up for different reasons... I finally figured out how to not blow it up in the microwave. I cook it 30-45 seconds less than recommended. Works just fine now and I don't have to clean out the microwave. :D

Someone mentioned weighing the oats with the measuring cup. Really best to weigh them on the scale by grams. Liquids by the cup, solids on the scale is far more accurate. That might be part of some of the issues that come up with oats?
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Oatmeal issues do come up for different reasons... I finally figured out how to not blow it up in the microwave. I cook it 30-45 seconds less than recommended. Works just fine now and I don't have to clean out the microwave. :D

Someone mentioned weighing the oats with the measuring cup. Really best to weigh them on the scale by grams. Liquids by the cup, solids on the scale is far more accurate. That might be part of some of the issues that come up with oats?

LOL... Ive never had oatmeal blow up in a microwave before! I dont measure the oats or water.. But then Im not making that nasty stuff for myself.. just my daughter who LOVES it. I do everything by visual reference and it just turns out. Same with corn bread. It just.. does what I want. But give me a cake or cookie recipe, I can follow it to a tee, and botch it every time. It comes out runny and burns into a wafer thin piece of charcoal at half the time recommended in the oven. My son can throw everything into a bowl, mix it, and it comes out fluffy and perfect.

I did blow up a mouse once though. OMG the smell! I threw that microwave AWAY! Taught me a lesson. Do NOT thaw snake food in a microwave! A cup of warm water may take longer but isnt as messy and gory and smelly!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    For savory oatmeal recipes, I like it thicker. Use one minute or quick cooking oats. 1/2 cup oats with 3/4 cup water in microwave for 1.5 minutes makes it thick
  • Hearts_2015
    edited January 2017
    Options

LOL... Ive never had oatmeal blow up in a microwave before! I dont measure the oats or water.. But then Im not making that nasty stuff for myself.. just my daughter who LOVES it. I do everything by visual reference and it just turns out. Same with corn bread. It just.. does what I want. But give me a cake or cookie recipe, I can follow it to a tee, and botch it every time. It comes out runny and burns into a wafer thin piece of charcoal at half the time recommended in the oven. My son can throw everything into a bowl, mix it, and it comes out fluffy and perfect.

I did blow up a mouse once though. OMG the smell! I threw that microwave AWAY! Taught me a lesson. Do NOT thaw snake food in a microwave! A cup of warm water may take longer but isn't as messy and gory and smelly!

and we're microwaving mice, WHY? :laugh: :# Well the oats apparently do that because of the depth of the container?? I have no clue but I've had a lot of ppl tell me they quit cooking them it goes over the bowl and all over the microwave and makes a mess. Maybe using the word 'blowing up' might be a bit much but it has made such a mess in the past. So I've learned to adjust my time and it works great now.

Yes regarding baking it's more of a science than cooking so visual doesn't really work, cooking is much more forgiving you can change up the recipe each time and it turns out fine.

ugh, I just now saw why there was a mouse in the microwave... :#