Ice cravings?

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Ever since week 10-11 of my pregnancy, all my drinks have to be ice cold. Starting around week 20, I started getting intense craving for chewing on ice. I know it's weird, but fonsome reason I find myself chewing on the ice in my drink.

I'm sure this is t healthy for my teeth, since ice is so hard. Anyone else experience this? Did it eventually go away? Is it actually an issue or should I just not worry about it and enjoy my ice?


ETA-anemia has been ruled out.
«13

Replies

  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Maybe try snow cones/slushies
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    I think chewing on ice can be a sign of anemia? It might be another deficiency. I'd give your OB's office a call and see what they think.

    I definitely could be wrong so hopefully someone else has ideas :)

    ~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Maybe try snow cones/slushies

    It's just not the same lol.
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I think chewing on ice can be a sign of anemia? It might be another deficiency. I'd give your OB's office a call and see what they think.

    I definitely could be wrong so hopefully someone else has ideas :)

    ~Lyssa

    I had heard that as well, but everything in blood work is normal and no deficiencies present, but I haven't specifically asked them about the weird craving.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Maybe try snow cones/slushies

    It's just not the same lol.
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I think chewing on ice can be a sign of anemia? It might be another deficiency. I'd give your OB's office a call and see what they think.

    I definitely could be wrong so hopefully someone else has ideas :)

    ~Lyssa

    I had heard that as well, but everything in blood work is normal and no deficiencies present, but I haven't specifically asked them about the weird craving.

    Oh good. I'd figured you'd ruled out deficiencies but wanted to put that out there.

    Hope you get a "real" answer!

    ~Lyssa
  • E6165
    E6165 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm extremely anemic, and have always craved ice. It's one of the symptoms of anemia. Have your doctor check your hemoglobin.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    My son LOVES ice and always has. It drives me crazy. If he isnt chewing on ice he is chewing on his SHIRT! I call him "You damn goat!" Nothing wrong with him. Daughter is anemic and HATES cold anything. But then, she claims to be cold even in 90 degree whether.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    E6165 wrote: »
    I'm extremely anemic, and have always craved ice. It's one of the symptoms of anemia. Have your doctor check your hemoglobin.

    All blood work has been fine.
    Reaverie wrote: »
    My son LOVES ice and always has. It drives me crazy. If he isnt chewing on ice he is chewing on his SHIRT! I call him "You damn goat!" Nothing wrong with him. Daughter is anemic and HATES cold anything. But then, she claims to be cold even in 90 degree whether.

    Haha, thankfully I don't chew on my shirt.


    SOs think it is just my weird "pickles and ice cream" pregnancy craving.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702 Member
    chewing ice is a sign of being anemic. its also PICA since it has no nutritional value.so it could just be pica. could be a lot worse than craving ice.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    E6165 wrote: »
    I'm extremely anemic, and have always craved ice. It's one of the symptoms of anemia. Have your doctor check your hemoglobin.

    All blood work has been fine.
    Reaverie wrote: »
    My son LOVES ice and always has. It drives me crazy. If he isnt chewing on ice he is chewing on his SHIRT! I call him "You damn goat!" Nothing wrong with him. Daughter is anemic and HATES cold anything. But then, she claims to be cold even in 90 degree whether.

    Haha, thankfully I don't chew on my shirt.


    SOs think it is just my weird "pickles and ice cream" pregnancy craving.

    Mine was bacon egg and jelly sandwhiches with my son. Squid and french dip sandwhiches.. sometimes combined.. with my daughter.

    Maybe you are just practicing for delivery when all they give you during labor is ice chips!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Bacon, egg and jelly??? I can't even imagine lol.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,453 Member
    I craved and crunched ice with both my pregnancies. I would get crushed ice from the freezer dispenser and munch it all day long.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,903 Member
    Definitely sounds like pregnancy-induced pica; it's not terribly uncommon. I craved ice during one of my pregnancies as well. If you live near a Sonic Drive-In (probably not but worth a shot - they are a dime a dozen around here), they have amazing ice for chewing (won't break your teeth) and sell it by the bag. Mine went away - funny, I've barely even thought about it since then!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702 Member
    I didnt have cravings with either of my pregnancies,hubby had the cravings lol.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    I was the same way when I was pregnant with my daughter, I wanted cold everything. Smoothies, ice cream and especially crushed ice.I even took a mallet to ice cubes. :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,945 Member
    Your teeth should be fine with chewing ice, unless you already have some inherent weakness. Ice is hard, but it's not as hard as your teeth!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    For those saying ya PICA relates-isn't it still technically a food item?
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    it can be a sign of anemia - just let your doc know next time you see him or her :-)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    it can be a sign of anemia - just let your doc know next time you see him or her :-)

    Read above.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    For those saying ya PICA relates-isn't it still technically a food item?

    pica is the craving for something with no nutrient value to it. ice has no nutrients.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/expert-answers/chewing-ice/faq-20057982
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    For those saying ya PICA relates-isn't it still technically a food item?

    pica is the craving for something with no nutrient value to it. ice has no nutrients.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/expert-answers/chewing-ice/faq-20057982

    So wouldn't craving ice water technically be PICA?