Kristen's journey (secret despair 30)

124»

Replies

• secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »

TDEE is your maintenance level energy expenditure including activity. If you eat at this level you will maintain. So if you know this number and don't go over it you won't ever gain weight. If you eat at a deficit under TDEE you can lose weight.

Subtract 500 calories from TDEE a day on average and you will lose a pound a week for example (500 calories × 7 days = 3,500 calories). Google TDEE and the calculators will pop up.

Learning about TDEE changed my way of looking at dieting and made it a more pragmatic, objective and practical way to lose weight. Before I had picked 1200 as the number but I was hungry ALL day long on that number. Once I upped it closer to TDEE it doesn't even feel like dieting and a lot of stress is alleviated.

I just looked at something online that calculated that stuff and it said based on my stats that my TDEE was 1996 and my BMR is 1357. I still dont get it though as I dont really pay attention to any of this fitness lingo, I JUST want to be thin, and thats all that matters to me!

Actually, Ive even noticed that continuing to log everything on here is becoming quite a chore! I mean the more I do it, the more I dont want to do it! Back when I first tried losing weight a long time ago, I used an actual notebook. I really missed that. I logged and tracked everything the way I wanted to!

• secret_despair30
    Ok, so im commenting again because my last reply didn't get any feedback, so it got pushed all the way down. :'(

Anyway, im now having to learn that the whole tdee thing actually helps me stay within my calorie allowance, and continue to lose weight at the rate that I want! but gow do I know that an average person can burn up to 2,000 cals a day just by existing? Im the kind of person that questions everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! I dont see how its scientifically possible to burn cals just by sitting or sleeping.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Ok, so im commenting again because my last reply didn't get any feedback, so it got pushed all the way down. :'(

Anyway, im now having to learn that the whole tdee thing actually helps me stay within my calorie allowance, and continue to lose weight at the rate that I want! but gow do I know that an average person can burn up to 2,000 cals a day just by existing? Im the kind of person that questions everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! I dont see how its scientifically possible to burn cals just by sitting or sleeping.

You can research more but the idea is that your body burns calories for you to live. Basically, to move around, to chew your food, for your internal organs to function, to breathe, even when you talk. Your body needs calories to do these things. You can't expect your body to function without fueling it with something... its like expecting a car to run without fuel. It needs something to burn to be able to run.
  • secret_despair30

1MADGIRL wrote: »

You can research more but the idea is that your body burns calories for you to live. Basically, to move around, to chew your food, for your internal organs to function, to breathe, even when you talk. Your body needs calories to do these things. You can't expect your body to function without fueling it with something... its like expecting a car to run without fuel. It needs something to burn to be able to run.

So basically the "eat to live, not live to eat" philosophy right? I guess I was just confused about the calorie part.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    yep thats right :)

basically whatever you eat that is extra is stored in the body just in case you won't be able to eat in the next few days and it would have saved calories in your body (stored as fat)

the main aim of eating is to have enough calories so our bodies function correctly !
    obviously if we can enjoy what we eat, all the better.
    but it is not ideal to overeat. We live in better times and we're not scarce of food. We do not need to store food as fat for days when we cannot find food because food is always available.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2017

Your brain and heart use up a lot of energy just to function. Google it and read some articles and they will back that up! 2000 cals is probably for a larger person than you though. I set mFP to maint cals (which MPF calculated). When I exercised it would add to that. My simple goal was then to be at maintenance (including exercise) or less. I considered it a success if I was able to do that instead of it saying I didn't meet my goal when I still had a couple hundred cal deficit.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    DebSozo wrote: »

TDEE is your maintenance level energy expenditure including activity. If you eat at this level you will maintain. So if you know this number and don't go over it you won't ever gain weight. If you eat at a deficit under TDEE you can lose weight.

Subtract 500 calories from TDEE a day on average and you will lose a pound a week for example (500 calories × 7 days = 3,500 calories). Google TDEE and the calculators will pop up.

Learning about TDEE changed my way of looking at dieting and made it a more pragmatic, objective and practical way to lose weight. Before I had picked 1200 as the number but I was hungry ALL day long on that number. Once I upped it closer to TDEE it doesn't even feel like dieting and a lot of stress is alleviated.

I just looked at something online that calculated that stuff and it said based on my stats that my TDEE was 1996 and my BMR is 1357. I still dont get it though as I dont really pay attention to any of this fitness lingo, I JUST want to be thin, and thats all that matters to me!

Actually, Ive even noticed that continuing to log everything on here is becoming quite a chore! I mean the more I do it, the more I dont want to do it! Back when I first tried losing weight a long time ago, I used an actual notebook. I really missed that. I logged and tracked everything the way I wanted to!

So try to stay between 1360 (BMR) and 2000 (TDEE). If you don't go above 2000 you won't gain weight unless your activity level drops. That is your maintenance calories for your current weight. However as you lose weight it will drop because it takes less calories for a smaller person to maintain.

If you want to lose weight don't go below 1360 calories a day on average as that is the amount you need to do basic living bodily functions. . You can average over the week by totalling daily calories for a week and dividing by 7 to get average daily.

The deficit between 2000 and 1360 is 640 calories. This means expect to lose a bit more than a pound a week (500 calorie deficit per day will give you a pound loss) if you eat at BMR calorie level. Don't worry about losing more than a pound, and you will see a nice weight loss over time. Once again, remember to recalculate TDEE and BMR every 5 or 10 pounds lost. To keep weight off figure out TDEE at goal, and don't go over.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Ok, so im commenting again because my last reply didn't get any feedback, so it got pushed all the way down. :'( .

You can keep your thread relevant, current, and at the top by posting frequently.
    :)