Gluten Free

2»

Replies

• Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Speaking of cookies made from gluten free oats!!!!! Shortbread made with gluten free oat flour is AMAZING.

Ooo that I've got to try!! Is there a particular recipe you follow?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Speaking of cookies made from gluten free oats!!!!! Shortbread made with gluten free oat flour is AMAZING.

Recipe please - I love shortbread cookies and hate hate hate the texture of the packaged gf ones! Thanks!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Bummer, I am allergic to actual oat which sucks.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have used a lot of recipes on glutenfreeonashoestring.com. Not low cal, but super yummy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    trudie_b wrote: »
    And I must commend you for being willing to make changes in your diet for your health. I have friends & family who freely acknowledge that their health problems - such as lupus, asthma, IBS, thyroid, fibromyalgia - are clearly affected by their diet, but who refuse point blank to even experiment with a change. I find this more frustrating than I can possibly say.

That's just crazy to me. I also know the same type of people you're talking about. They are often very smug about it, too. They'll say things like, "I may die young, but at least I'll die happy" or "I'd rather be sick than give up X,Y,Z" or "I'm not weak like you. I can live with it." Whatever. That's their problem, not mine.

I was so sick for several years before my doctor finally figured out what was wrong with me. I was near-constantly nauseated, suffering from malnutrition, had super high inflammation markers in my blood work, and all kinds of DAILY digestive issues which trapped me in the bathroom for hours on end - vomiting from both ends - and I developed an anxiety disorder when out in public because I never knew when sickness would strike. It was miserable for me AND my family. I would NEVER go back to eating gluten voluntarily and I don't understand why people would rather be sick! No food is worth that to me, no matter how delicious! And there are so many fine substitutes these days - and tons of good GF recipes for my favorite baked goods. I don't suffer at all.

It's been a long time since I've been that sick, but I remember it so well... :(
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    And I must commend you for being willing to make changes in your diet for your health. I have friends & family who freely acknowledge that their health problems - such as lupus, asthma, IBS, thyroid, fibromyalgia - are clearly affected by their diet, but who refuse point blank to even experiment with a change. I find this more frustrating than I can possibly say.

That's just crazy to me. I also know the same type of people you're talking about. They are often very smug about it, too. They'll say things like, "I may die young, but at least I'll die happy" or "I'd rather be sick than give up X,Y,Z" or "I'm not weak like you. I can live with it." Whatever. That's their problem, not mine.

I was so sick for several years before my doctor finally figured out what was wrong with me. I was near-constantly nauseated, suffering from malnutrition, had super high inflammation markers in my blood work, and all kinds of DAILY digestive issues which trapped me in the bathroom for hours on end - vomiting from both ends - and I developed an anxiety disorder when out in public because I never knew when sickness would strike. It was miserable for me AND my family. I would NEVER go back to eating gluten voluntarily and I don't understand why people would rather be sick! No food is worth that to me, no matter how delicious! And there are so many fine substitutes these days - and tons of good GF recipes for my favorite baked goods. I don't suffer at all.

It's been a long time since I've been that sick, but I remember it so well... :(

Love that one!! My response...."I'm strong enough not to let a piece of bread control my life!"

But seriously I hate that I feel pressure to constantly have to explain my private health problems in order to justify a choice over what I choose to put on my plate.

Saying that....I'd never change it now! I feel so much better in this short period of time that I've been gluten and dairy free. My symptoms of my health conditions are starting to ease. And as a side product I have lost 10lbs and have far more energy....not purely because of cutting out the gluten ad dairy but because of that making me think more carefully and chose more wisely what I ate.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member

And you don't even have to buy oat flour, you can just whizz your oats in a blender, and voila, flour!

I have found that I can't tolerate some gluten free oats, but other brands I'm okay with. Whether that's because of contamination in processing, or the variety of oat, I really don't know. But Bob's Red Mill is the best brand, for me.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    It is great to read that other folks suffer from wheat - wait, I don't mean I'm happy y'all suffer - I just mean I don't feel so alone! When I went GF 4 years ago, my husband came along with me. Really though he didn't have much choice, did he? We just basically have eaten Whole Foods that are naturally GF without trying to substitute. Missed bread &a pasta for a while but now do not even think about it (much
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Sairzie wrote: »

Ooo that I've got to try!! Is there a particular recipe you follow?

This is the one I've been using the past few years. I always use Kerry Gold butter and raw sugar and it's sublime.

https://blog.kathrynmcgowan.com/2010/06/07/scottish-shortbread-gluten-free-baking-ahead-of-its-time/
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

And you don't even have to buy oat flour, you can just whizz your oats in a blender, and voila, flour!

I have found that I can't tolerate some gluten free oats, but other brands I'm okay with. Whether that's because of contamination in processing, or the variety of oat, I really don't know. But Bob's Red Mill is the best brand, for me.

That brand is awesome for gluten free products. I've trusted it for years.
  • fitnellieforlife
    fitnellieforlife Posts: 40 Member
    Great thread. I have psoriasis all over my legs and irritable bowel syndrome. My doctor said it's an allergy to gluten so I'm slowly cutting stuff out. Recently in love with gluten free pasta.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Best baking book EVER: Gluten-Free Baking by Robert Landolf. Get it from Amazon, it is amazing. Not only does it have nutritious, delicious recipes, but goes over different types of flours and how they work, substitutions for things, etc. just FULL of information.

Also, I don't know where you live, but Trader Joe's has great gluten free bread, both whole grain and a "white" variety. I've only had the whole grain, but it was really good. And it isn't frozen, like other brands.
  • FlissFloss78
    FlissFloss78 Posts: 11 Member
    gravylover wrote: »
    Cant have gravy though. As i cant have onions and this seems to be in everything. I could however make it from scratch myself.....
    My mum uses gravy salts. She uses the meat juices, then adds water and gravy salts and heats on the hob. Good luck!
    o:)

• GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    I have eaten GF for about four years, as I found it to be a migraine trigger. I enjoy Three Bakers brand pizza and bread. For my "low calorie" GF cookie fix, I usually eat Lucy's brand cookies. Some other brands taste TOO good and I'll eat the entire box. I prefer the corn pasta over the brown rice type. I am not a big fan of Udi's.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    I've tried several types of GF pasta. The brand I find closest to "real pasta" is the Catelli line which makes it with brown and white rice, quinoa, and corn. Relatively cheap and easy to find.