New Fitness Pal :)

My name is Dawn, I'm 30 years old and I live in IL about an hour west of Chicago. I have 2 boys ages 10 and 6 and I've known my hubby for 14 years and we just celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary.

I've struggled with my weight for almost 10 years now (sheesh!) and I haven't been under 200 pounds in many years. I was the typical tall, skinny girl (5"10, 140lbs) up to age 18, but once I got pregnant and had my first son in 1997... I gained about 60 pounds with that pregnancy and didn't lose *ANY* of that weight. There was no limit when it came to food while I was pregnant. I used to get off work, hit McDonalds, order the 2 Big Mac's for $2 with large fries and a large root beer. I'd scarf all that food down within 20-25 minutes and have that meal at least 3 times a week. Then still at 200 lbs I got pregnant again 3 years later and had my second son in 2001 and gained another 60 pounds as well. Shortly after that, I had gall stones and had to get my gall bladder removed. With the gall bladder being what helps break down fatty foods, I had to cut out alot of my normal grub I would eat constantly. The main one being red meat. That alone helped me drop 20 lbs.

So fast forward to today, I've been stuck at about 230-240 the past few years. It's been so hard to try and get down to the teen numbers, but I'm really hoping to do it this time. I've tried ALOT of diets and such, but my sister told me about this site and I'm really giving this one last shot. If all this hard work doesn't pay off, then I'm just destined to be heavy I guess. :)

My current weight is 226 and I'd love to get about 160-170. I'm 5"10 so I do have height on my side. I have the typical hour-glass figure... nice rack, small waist but my thighs and butt are HUGE. From below my waist down to my knees is where my problem area is. I can stand to tighten up my arms and abs a bit as well, but my thighs and butt are where I hold the most weight.

I'm using The Biggest Loser books as a helpful guide. I've watched the show ever since the first episode aired and I'm hoping that this will finally do the trick. I've been on MyFitnessaPal and this new way of eating for 7 days now and I've lost 4 pounds so far. I'm eating right, drinking lots of water and working out 4 days a week.

Thanks for reading my story and I hope I get to know many of you. :)

Replies

• My name is Dawn, I'm 30 years old and I live in IL about an hour west of Chicago. I have 2 boys ages 10 and 6 and I've known my hubby for 14 years and we just celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary.

I've struggled with my weight for almost 10 years now (sheesh!) and I haven't been under 200 pounds in many years. I was the typical tall, skinny girl (5"10, 140lbs) up to age 18, but once I got pregnant and had my first son in 1997... I gained about 60 pounds with that pregnancy and didn't lose *ANY* of that weight. There was no limit when it came to food while I was pregnant. I used to get off work, hit McDonalds, order the 2 Big Mac's for $2 with large fries and a large root beer. I'd scarf all that food down within 20-25 minutes and have that meal at least 3 times a week. Then still at 200 lbs I got pregnant again 3 years later and had my second son in 2001 and gained another 60 pounds as well. Shortly after that, I had gall stones and had to get my gall bladder removed. With the gall bladder being what helps break down fatty foods, I had to cut out alot of my normal grub I would eat constantly. The main one being red meat. That alone helped me drop 20 lbs.

So fast forward to today, I've been stuck at about 230-240 the past few years. It's been so hard to try and get down to the teen numbers, but I'm really hoping to do it this time. I've tried ALOT of diets and such, but my sister told me about this site and I'm really giving this one last shot. If all this hard work doesn't pay off, then I'm just destined to be heavy I guess. :)

My current weight is 226 and I'd love to get about 160-170. I'm 5"10 so I do have height on my side. I have the typical hour-glass figure... nice rack, small waist but my thighs and butt are HUGE. From below my waist down to my knees is where my problem area is. I can stand to tighten up my arms and abs a bit as well, but my thighs and butt are where I hold the most weight.

I'm using The Biggest Loser books as a helpful guide. I've watched the show ever since the first episode aired and I'm hoping that this will finally do the trick. I've been on MyFitnessaPal and this new way of eating for 7 days now and I've lost 4 pounds so far. I'm eating right, drinking lots of water and working out 4 days a week.

Thanks for reading my story and I hope I get to know many of you. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Welcome, my pretty - and your little dog too. (Oz is my 2nd fave movie of all time)

You have age on your side, now is the time to lose the weight. It gets harder the older you are, as metabolism slows.

You can do this, and if you read through all the other posts you'll see many people here have lost significant amounts of weight.

Give it a month here at least, and use the food diary religiously - every bite! Increase your movement every chance you get.

Good luck, we are all in this together. It would be so great to be healthy for your children, and to model healthy behavior for them.

~cm
  • dnjcountry
    dnjcountry Posts: 22 Member
    hey I bought those books also. Maybe I can use some info in them. I wish I had the courage those people on the show do. I guess it helps to have someone there to push a little bit. I guess part of me is a little lazy. I don't want to work that hard. But I keep teeling myself I have got to do something to get something.

In 2 weeks now I have lost 7 pounds. I am at 180 since this morning. When I started this program
    on Sunday set 23 i have lost 3 pounds. This program has motivated me and the people at work like to see what I put on the computer so that helps me not to cheat. It has also inspired me to push a little on the exercising. I am trying.
    Keep up the good work. Just remember we didn't put the weight on in a day so it will take more than a day to take it off.
  • Thanks so much for the warm welcome :)

Your words of encouragement helped and I'll be sure and use this guide daily. I know it's going to take alot of hard work on my part, but I'm just afraid of falling off the wagon when I don't see results. That's probably the reason why I've failed so many times before. I'd work out and eat right for a month or so and wouldn't be happy with a couple pound weight loss. I'd get upset about it and make myself feel better by scarfing down all the ice cream and sweets I could get my hands on!

Before I started this program, I wasn't eating alot of fruit, veggies or protein. But now that I'm following the 4-3-2-1 pyramid from The Biggest Loser Book, I'm not as hungry as usual. On a few days I wasn't even hitting my daily calorie intake (due to added exercise) and I'd get that little note about my body going into "starvation mode". Now I'm trying to hit all my goals and not see that message anymore!

Again, thanks for the support!
  • fitness4k
    fitness4k Posts: 11 Member
    Hi Dawn,

Thanks for sharing your story. Hey, at least you can say that pregnancy contributed to your weight gain. My weight gain is the result of ridiculous eating. I had to chime in after I read your post. I can sooooooooo relate to your concern about your thighs. That is my problem area. If I had a dollar for all the times I have been told that it is genetic, I could afford the lipo to get rid of them! Just kidding. I am just working at it through the wonderful world of exercise and sensible eats and treats. Best wishes to you, and remember...I share your pain.

Karen
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    My problem is I'm an "Apple" shape. Weight gained in the abdomen is supposedly more dangerous than the thigh/tush weight (for cardiovascular health.) I keep asking everyone if there is some way to get my derriere back, I'm in my 50s and gravity and lack of exercise have smooshed it. Trade ya...! I know that's not much consolation, but there it is.

;-) cm

But I'm a slimmer apple than I was a month ago! I almost have a waist.
  • Hey cm...do those squats....that will help get your tush back :)

I have the same problem you do. I got a new scale that measures body fat and it includes info on visceral fat. That's the fat around the internal organs that increase health risk. Usually visceral fat levels are high in folks w/ more fat round their abdomen.