If you had 1 month for vacation...

lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
where would you go?

Your response doesn't need to have anything to do with me, but heres my situation. I have a month coming up starting around the end of August, with a fairly decent budget. More expensive does not equal better! Much rather do/see something amazing than sit in an all-inclusive with a bunch of other Americans. I am a 27 year old female traveling alone, but this is not my first rodeo. Lived and traveled to many countries in the americas and SE Asia, often on my own.

Cheers

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    New Zealand looks absolutely gorgeous
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Austria
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    I did 3 weeks split between new Zealand and Australia a few years ago. I'd probably glad that way. Stop in maybe Fiji or one of those places. New Zealand is awesome as is Australia

I'd probably though go visit my friends in Vienna because I love Vienna and maybe do a bit of Italy as well. I'd love to see Venice and Florence again. Rome is a favourite stop too.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    3 places I'd have to pick from:

Australia - travel the outbacks, see Uluru, dive in great barrier reef , spend time in Sidney, learn to surf, go to kings canyon and so many things more I'd have to do
    New Zealand - Visit Hobbiton, See the fjord Milford Sound and the bay of island. See the Tongariro National Park and learn about the natives.. Go bungee jumping and I could continue for ages.. New Zealand is supposed to be similar to Iceland (where I'm from and live) so I'd need to check it for myself :)
    Italia Rome, visit the Vatican.. travel around the ruins of ancient Rome.. eat gelato, visit Venice.. eat some more.. gain weight.. and move on to travel in the south of Italy.. it's supposed to be totally different.

But if you want adventure.. Iceland..
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    I would love to hike the Appalachian Trail.

Some day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Road trip in Europe.
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Iceland is my favourite country to visit. I've been 3 times now and I will be back at some point. The people are amazing, the culture and history is wonderful, the landscape is stunning (and ethereal at times), the language is beautiful and if you're travelling alone it's got one of the lowest crime rates in the world and women have one of the highest levels of equality in the world there so you don't have to stress too much about being an alone female.

Also it's really not as cold as people think, especially if you go in summer (although the winter brings the aurora borealis)!
  • Gimsteinn
    synchkat wrote: »
    I did 3 weeks split between new Zealand and Australia a few years ago. I'd probably glad that way. Stop in maybe Fiji or one of those places. New Zealand is awesome as is Australia

I'd probably though go visit my friends in Vienna because I love Vienna and maybe do a bit of Italy as well. I'd love to see Venice and Florence again. Rome is a favourite stop too.

... well now.. leg warmers and the same taste in traveling
  • lilawolf
    @happilymegan Theres a....small but serious chance that I won't ;)
    @_MistahJ_ Just got back from about a week in Narita/Tokyo! Someday I'd like to see more of the country.
    Lots of votes for New Zealand...Interesting... Been to Fiji and really enjoyed that, but havent seen NZ or Australia. hmmmm.....
    @Francl27 Where? A month really isn't that long when you start looking at an entire continent.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »

... well now.. leg warmers and the same taste in traveling

Haha. I'd love to go to Iceland too.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited February 2017
    I would go on a two week European vacation and then go on 2 back to back cruises in the Caribbean.
  • lilawolf
    @Gimsteinn What kind of adventures? Iceland has been on my radar for a while, but I don't actually know a lot about it (except its not as cold as people think lol. Great name). Flights are cheap too so bonus!
  • Gimsteinn
    lilawolf wrote: »
    @Gimsteinn What kind of adventures? Iceland has been on my radar for a while, but I don't actually know a lot about it (except its not as cold as people think lol. Great name). Flights are cheap too so bonus!

Fair warning, Iceland is very expensive but in return, everyone is fluent in English, even my 4 year old speaks English.
    There are glaciers you can hike on, whale watching in Akureyri is amazing, I'm talking humpbacks everywhere.. and the killer whales in Húsavík is something to see as well.
    We have Þingvellir were you can literally dive between Europe and North America. The water is so clear it's like a joke. Þingvellir is one of our national parks, it's where the vikings formed their democracy more then 1000 years ago.
    You can hike inside one of our volcanos, called þríhnúkagígur, See Ásbyrgi and my favourite place, Þórsmörk where our elf church stands tall.
    And because I see you're into Spartan races I'm taking a guess you do Crossfit as well (ok not sure about it but 80 of all the crossfitters I know love Spartans ;) ) .. The Crossfit box Annie Mist owns and works at has drops in where you can meet her and if you're lucky, Katrín Tanja as well :)

There are plenty of things to do here, go on day trip on an Icelandic horse, even a week trip if you're into that.. Dirt bikes, buggy cars and so, so many more things.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Italy. I have a few friends with places over there and would love to immerse in the culture.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Why does this thread make me depressed. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    lilawolf wrote: »
    @Francl27 Where? A month really isn't that long when you start looking at an entire continent.

Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Naples/Florence/Rome/Venice, French riviera. You could go to Barcelona too if you can squeeze it, but I wasn't really that impressed.

It would be more efficient/cheaper to just take the train though.

Or pick a few places you really want to see and do a road trip.
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    I'd like to be able to go back to Belgium, Liege especially in the fair seasons but also just since there's so many nice small shops/food places to explore and an active night life if you're into that too.

There are lots of nice small towns in Belgium and lots of nice places to be outside of Liege too though and it isn't nearly as touristy as a lot of other countries such as France or England from what I've seen so might be worth considering if you're more into that kind of vacation.

I'm biased though, the main reason I want to return being that I'm Belgian myself.