Fitness Tracker: Do you use one?

DanniJTillman
DanniJTillman Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a Garmin Vivio Smart HR+ and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! It's so awesome. My favorite feature is it's swimmer friendly (I shower with it and everything), motion activated GPS, so many types of monitors and charts to compare! What do you have or want?

Replies

• MountainHiker48
    MountainHiker48 Posts: 17 Member
    I bought myself a Garmin VivoActive HR at the beginning of the year, after having problems with 2 FitBit Surge devices. So far I love it. I downloaded a hiking app to keep track of that activity, and I log my bike spin classes and treadmill work as well. Once the weather improves, I'll get into my trail running with it too. The step count, heart rate and calorie burn rate all seem to be reasonably in the ballpark based on my fitness routines over the past 40 years. My only nit to pick is that I wish the screen was just a little brighter, but I understand the need to juggle that with battery life, so I'm OK with it.
  • Ms_Consistency
    Ms_Consistency Posts: 46 Member
    I have a Fitbit Surge. Love it!! Only negative, not water resistant.
  • MountainHiker48
    MountainHiker48 Posts: 17 Member
    I have a Fitbit Surge. Love it!! Only negative, not water resistant.

I didn't care for that lack of water resistance either, but would have been OK with it, had I not had other issues with the Surge. A good device overall though, I think I just had bad luck!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    No, I don't use one and I don't consider them important to keep up with my fitness. I only have in my phone an app called "Map my walk," or something like that, only to know the distance that I cover during my walks. I don't like gadgets. Hey, I don't even wear a watch.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a misfit shine 2. Stylish, simple, sync's faultlessly with MFP, works well, goes 6 months on a battery (no charging) and is waterproof. I never take it off, shower, swimming, everything.
  • Ms_Consistency
    Ms_Consistency Posts: 46 Member
    MountainHiker48 - I had the HR before the Surge. Never had any issues. Several of my friends have had issues. Bands falling apart, device stopped working. Fitbit is a great product but it seems to be hit or miss!

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have a Fitbit One which I use as my daily step tracker. But I decided I needed a different gadget for my running. I used to have a Garmin Forerunner 205, which I loved to bits even though it was like wearing a house-brick on my wrist, so I've just treated myself to a Foreunner 25. It's not the most recent model, but it's perfect for what I need and I'm in love all over again.

Have to say though, it was a bit of a shock when I got a fantasy hockey update in the middle of a 10k run.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have tried a bunch. The first one I had was a BodyMedia, I used it for about 2 years until they sold out to Jawbone. Then I tried a Jawbone Up (piece of crap). Got a Basis Peak (has since been recalled due to safety issues), then ordered an Angel Sensor (obscure open source tracker) but it was back ordered for over a year so inherited my husband's Fitbit Charge HR because he bought the wrong size. I liked it until ER Doctors wrecked it taking it off me when putting in an IV. I bought a replacement Fitbit in July but I don't have faith that it will last that long. Next on the wish list is a Garmin Vivoactive HR. I would like a Garmin Forerunner 235, but the Vivoactive HR is a little more reasonably priced.
    So yes! I use a fitness tracker, and have since 2012. Can't imagine not having one now.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    I have a Fitbit Charge Hr and love it. But, was has helped me the most is an Atlas Wearables, that is the greatest investment into my fitness program and was exactly what I was looking for.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    I had a Garmin Forerunner 15, but I just recently updated to a FitBit Blaze, so far so good.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a misfit shine 2. Stylish, simple, sync's faultlessly with MFP, works well, goes 6 months on a battery (no charging) and is waterproof. I never take it off, shower, swimming, everything.

I had a Shine (not a 2 though) a few years ago and hated it. Actually I hated the fact that when I had it the software was dodgy and then they completely broke the connection with MFP and support were really unhelpful about it. It used to pop out of the band all the time too - it was actually a relief when I didn't notice it drop out one day and never found it again.

I've had an Apple Watch for over a year now and really love that. It has so much functionality, but the activity tracker is one of my favourite things. It's not waterproof but copes fine with sweat and running in the rain so for my purposes it works well. My Garmin running watch hasn't seen the light of day since I got this.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    I have a 10$ step counter from Walmart just to keep tabs on how much I'm walking around during the day. I don't need anything fancy.
  • audreyanderson4
    audreyanderson4 Posts: 245 Member
    I have a fitbit flex
  • lisamarielois
    lisamarielois Posts: 6 Member
    Just tried my new Garmin forerunner 25 for the first time and realised how inaccurate my iPod was in tracking my runs! Perfect for my needs, not too big for my small wrist, not too complicated a lovely purple colour!
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    honestly I want one but I am having such a hard time spending alot of money on a good one and the cheap ones just arent even worth worrying with. I keep saying to myself, do i really need this to help lose the weight? technically, no, but i want one. i just want a quality tracker at a good price and cant fine one.
  • CupcakeBoyle
    CupcakeBoyle Posts: 10 Member
    I Have a fitbit Charge HR and Love Love Love It,
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Just tried my new Garmin forerunner 25 for the first time and realised how inaccurate my iPod was in tracking my runs! Perfect for my needs, not too big for my small wrist, not too complicated a lovely purple colour!

Yep, the FR25 is indeed perfect (I've got the purple one too). I looked at the FR35, which is a bit more elegant, but in the end I couldn't justify the extra $60 it cost. I wasn't bothered about the HR monitor. And I don't take music out on my runs, so the 'operate your music from the FR35' feature was no good to me. Also being as blind as a bat, I like knowing I'm not going to struggle finding that nice purple button to press at the start of my run.

And I love playing with Garmin Connect after my run. All those graphs, and maps, and statistics!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    I have had a fitbit for 4 years now. I just got a Charge 2 last week.
    For my purposes (step related) it is perfect. Their customer service is excellent! I wouldn't still have one if I didn't love it.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2017
    I use my Apple Watch as I always have it on and it does everything I need it to. If I didn't have Apple products I would probably go for the fitbit range unless I was thinking of getting into some serious running/cycling etc in which case I'd head over to Garmin.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Liking my Garmin Vivoactive. Since I took up running, I found it to be the perfect tool plus it also does step counting so it has been a great fitness partner.

Not sure if this applies to other manufacturers, but Garmins can be found on Amazon factory refurbished for a significant savings. I bought my Vivoactive this way. It was $50 cheaper than a "new" one and, other than the simple box it came in, could not be told from new.