Mom2Annie's Progress Thread

Replies

• Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Today sucks. Yesterday too. I don't know if my body is just now freaking out about OMAD or what...but I feel like crap. Headache, no energy, eyes want to close and are slow to follow and focus with my gaze...and I'm much hungrier than I was the first week. Also I'm very cold...always cold. I used to always be hot.

I haven't splurged yet, haven't eaten off schedule, have tried to have some fruit and veggies every day (not my strong suit but I love my green smoothies).

I also went to my primary care physician this morning for my third monthly diet/exercise check up visit (part of the surgery protocol thing) and according to their scale, I've only lost ONE pound in 4 weeks. One. My pants are so much looser and my double chin is disappearing...how can I have only lost one pound?!

I didn't tell my doc about trying IF last month, so I told her this time. She was not supportive. She didn't tell me to stop but she had plenty of criticism re: OMAD. When she asked how it was going for me, I wanted to say really well! But losing only one pound in a month isn't "really well" so I said not bad and that I think it's too soon to judge.

I did not tell her that I feel like crap right now and just want to go to bed and stay there for the rest of the day.

I love you guys...you are so supportive of everyone...thanks for listening and letting me vent...and always offering kind words, advice, and ideas. This is my only sounding board for this stuff. (I'm hormonal right now and emotions are raw...don't mean to be too mushy!)

Hope everyone else is having a great Friday! :)
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2017
    When you do a 23 hour fast every day you get all the benefits (and hardships) of water fasting. After about 12-18 hours of fasting your body starts healing itself, autophagy, and that makes you feel a bit sick or low if you have things that need healing. I don't say it's easy, but given time it will make you feel so much better. During our fasts the body doesn't only "eat it's dead cells", it also creates new cells with the growth hormone that fasting produces. Our bodies cleans up and replaces the bad with the good, but that takes effort.

Read up on water fasting is my advice, remember that we get all the benefits from that even if we do shorter fasts. It just takes longer time for the body to do all the repairs. During a water fast one usually feels like crap as the body tries to heal what ever is needed and this happens to us too, just over a longer period of time and less at the time as we keep eating every 24'th hour and pause the healing a bit each day.
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2017
    I found this video of Joe's to be very helpful of what to expect. Sorry if you've already seen it. It's what to expect during each phase or every few weeks.

https://youtu.be/fmbctWCacXg
  • Mom2annie
    kabrigail wrote: »
    I found this video of Joe's to be very helpful of what to expect. Sorry if you've already seen it. It's what to expect during each phase or every few weeks.

https://youtu.be/fmbctWCacXg

Thanks! I will definitely watch it tonight.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    Today sucks. Yesterday too. I don't know if my body is just now freaking out about OMAD or what...but I feel like crap. Headache, no energy, eyes want to close and are slow to follow and focus with my gaze...and I'm much hungrier than I was the first week. Also I'm very cold...always cold. I used to always be hot.

I haven't splurged yet, haven't eaten off schedule, have tried to have some fruit and veggies every day (not my strong suit but I love my green smoothies).

I also went to my primary care physician this morning for my third monthly diet/exercise check up visit (part of the surgery protocol thing) and according to their scale, I've only lost ONE pound in 4 weeks. One. My pants are so much looser and my double chin is disappearing...how can I have only lost one pound?!

I didn't tell my doc about trying IF last month, so I told her this time. She was not supportive. She didn't tell me to stop but she had plenty of criticism re: OMAD. When she asked how it was going for me, I wanted to say really well! But losing only one pound in a month isn't "really well" so I said not bad and that I think it's too soon to judge.

I did not tell her that I feel like crap right now and just want to go to bed and stay there for the rest of the day.

I love you guys...you are so supportive of everyone...thanks for listening and letting me vent...and always offering kind words, advice, and ideas. This is my only sounding board for this stuff. (I'm hormonal right now and emotions are raw...don't mean to be too mushy!)

Make sure your getting your protein and take a multivitamin/mineral supplement. If your clothes are getting loser, it doesn't matter what you weigh! You may have gained a couple of lbs of muscle and lost a couple of pounds of fat so your getting skinnier but not weighing much different. That is a possibility.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I agree with blambo61, Don't give up you will notice a drop on the scale soon :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member

My pants are so much looser and my double chin is disappearing
    The magic is happening!!! The scale is just one measurement, and it will catch up with all the other good things you are noticing. Think about this: Have you ever done anything else that made your pants so much looser, this easily?
  • Mom2annie
    leveejohn wrote: »
    My pants are so much looser and my double chin is disappearing
    The magic is happening!!! The scale is just one measurement, and it will catch up with all the other good things you are noticing. Think about this: Have you ever done anything else that made your pants so much looser, this easily?

Thanks for helping me gain perspective. Yesterday was rough but today is a new day!
  • Mom2annie
    I've had two great days in a row. Started ACV tonight (now) mixed with grape juice, water, and a tad honey. I like it! Kinda feels like I'm drinking salad dressing but I'm fine with that.

Bone broth. It is my new bff. Lol. It eliminated my close to end of fast jitters, headache, and lightheadedness. Guess I needed salt! I couldn't find bones to make a batch myself but found clean, whole ingredient, organic bone broth in pouches (reasonably priced for such convenience) at the grocery store. Not ideal but better than not having it at all. I took pics for you guys but can't figure out how to add a pic so I'll post a link soon.
  • ShantelRae72
    ShantelRae72 Posts: 57 Member
    I say don't worry about the scale... If you feel tuner I'm sure you are... I've done omad before but am just now starting back..I also have an 11 year old... You got this :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    1MADGIRL Hope all is well!

Thank you! Slowly recovering and mending my broken heart - and trying not to overeat in the process :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »

Make sure your getting your protein and take a multivitamin/mineral supplement. If your clothes are getting loser, it doesn't matter what you weigh! You may have gained a couple of lbs of muscle and lost a couple of pounds of fat so your getting skinnier but not weighing much different. That is a possibility.

I agree with this. Who cares if the scales aren't being supportive? I'd rather look and feel better than weigh less! If you're clothes are looser that's the best thing in the world.
  • Mom2annie
    Things are going well! I think I'm adjusted or nearly adjusted now. Barely struggle with hunger and very little lightheadedness since adding bone broth with sea salt. I am starting to get a little too excited and preoccupied about my first splurge day (not until Saturday) so I may wait another week.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Things are going well! I think I'm adjusted or nearly adjusted now. Barely struggle with hunger and very little lightheadedness since adding bone broth with sea salt. I am starting to get a little too excited and preoccupied about my first splurge day (not until Saturday) so I may wait another week.

You are doing great. Don't worry about the splurge for a while.
  • Mom2annie
    I am starting to get a little too excited and preoccupied about my first splurge day
    It's difficult not to get too excited and a little obsessive. I have to fight that. Because if this is going to be a permanent change in my life (and it has to, it must!), then I can't obsess over it.

I just got back from walking with wifey, and I was talking about how 45 days is a big milestone for me, because I've never gone longer than that. I start obsessing over things, making it complicated, driving myself insane. She started snickering " . . . because now you're starting to obsess over the 45 day mark." Yes indeed, I am.

I think a BIG part of this is to just try to relax and let it happen. Health doesn't look obsessive, doesn't look frantic. Health is calm and centered. This "initiative" should be calm and centered.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I am starting to get a little too excited and preoccupied about my first splurge day
    It's difficult not to get too excited and a little obsessive. I have to fight that. Because if this is going to be a permanent change in my life (and it has to, it must!), then I can't obsess over it.

I just got back from walking with wifey, and I was talking about how 45 days is a big milestone for me, because I've never gone longer than that. I start obsessing over things, making it complicated, driving myself insane. She started snickering " . . . because now you're starting to obsess over the 45 day mark." Yes indeed, I am.

I think a BIG part of this is to just try to relax and let it happen. Health doesn't look obsessive, doesn't look frantic. Health is calm and centered. This "initiative" should be calm and centered.

True that...true that!
  • Mom2annie
    Thanks guys. :smile:

Today, I want to share (mostly for other newbies struggling) that I feel amazing. I pressed through the adjustment (only about 36 hours were truly rough) and my body is totally cooperating with OMAD now.

My weight is hovering in the same range but I don't care. I FEEL so good. I'm alert and focused at work, no drowsiness or brain fog. I rarely feel hunger pangs now--only twice a day and they're very brief (less than a minute). I'm not ravenous when I get home from work anymore or completely preoccupied with eating my one meal. I'm not shaky before I eat, and I can even calmly make my child's dinner before I make mine, with no rush feeling.

I'm staying in a better, kinder, even-tempered mood too. And my energy...though I don't really FEEL more energetic, I have more spontaneous inclinations to clean the mess that is my house. I used to have zero energy when I came home...no cleaning until weekends for me. But not anymore.

My clothes are loose, I'm constantly yanking up my pants (they're elastic waisted) so a belt isn't going to work. My face is so much thinner and my back fat is lessened. I'm just thrilled with it all.

The first week or so was not easy (though much easier than I anticipated) but now...sticking to this is almost effortless. Planning ahead and cooking ahead is about the only effort I have to make. The eating habits are now a breeze. I can't say enough about how awesome OMAD has turned out to be for me. I'm excited to see more changes in the coming weeks.

For perspective, I started on 1/26/17 and today is the last day of my 2nd OMAD week. Week 3 starts tomorrow. :smile: