Can anyone answer this?

How many calories do I need to consume?

I calculated my Basal Metobolic Rate and it said that if I was to do nothing all day that my body would burn 1335 calories. This means that if I eat 1335 calories in one day with no exercise that I shouldn't gain or lose any pounds, am I right?

I have been consuming around 1250 to 1300 calories but I have been burning about 400 to 500 calories a day by walking on the treadmill for two 30 minutes sessions (1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon). So my net calories have been around 800-850 calories if you think about it. I know that it sounds bad but I have been eating plenty of food and am never hungry. I eat 5 small meals in one day that are very healthly and sugar free (except fruit and healthy sugars) or lowfat foods with plenty of fiber. I eat my 4 or 5 servings of veggies and fruit and my protein and fiber.

So if I am going to workout everyday and burn about 400 to 500 calories then does that mean that I actually need to consume about 1700 calories to actually only eat about 1200? I think I may be starving my body but it just sounds so confusing.

I think I may have just answered my own question.

Replies

• abrown323
    abrown323 Posts: 22 Member
    How many calories do I need to consume?

I calculated my Basal Metobolic Rate and it said that if I was to do nothing all day that my body would burn 1335 calories. This means that if I eat 1335 calories in one day with no exercise that I shouldn't gain or lose any pounds, am I right?

I have been consuming around 1250 to 1300 calories but I have been burning about 400 to 500 calories a day by walking on the treadmill for two 30 minutes sessions (1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon). So my net calories have been around 800-850 calories if you think about it. I know that it sounds bad but I have been eating plenty of food and am never hungry. I eat 5 small meals in one day that are very healthly and sugar free (except fruit and healthy sugars) or lowfat foods with plenty of fiber. I eat my 4 or 5 servings of veggies and fruit and my protein and fiber.

So if I am going to workout everyday and burn about 400 to 500 calories then does that mean that I actually need to consume about 1700 calories to actually only eat about 1200? I think I may be starving my body but it just sounds so confusing.

I think I may have just answered my own question.
  • cathyt56
    cathyt56 Posts: 12 Member
    Yes, I agree, you did answer your own question. You have been starving your body making it hold on to what it can. Eating more will increase your metabolism and allow you to burn the weight off. Isn't that great? You get to eat MORE!!! Yay you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Yes, eat ! don't ya love it?
  • abrown323
    abrown323 Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you! I am not sure if I am going to be able to eat more calories without the temptation of eating the bad calories. If I know I need to eat more I will go on an eating benge off HEALTHY junk food. What I mean is I will go for the 100 calorie packs or weight watcher desserts but I can't eat just one, I have to go back for seconds or thirds. When I get discouraged I will just go on a junk food benge. I have learned to pop a piece of gum in my mouth to help with all of that but sometimes i just want to say screw it. I wish I could tell myself that it isn't worth it! Thank goodness I only do this about oncery week or so.
  • cmriverside
    abrown323,

That is exactly my problem. If I have 10 cookies in the house, I will eat 10 cookies. If there is a can of Almond Roca in anyone's house they better hide it.

I am diagnosed with ADD and of course obssessive/compulsive behaviors (like binge eating) are part of the symtoms and diagnosis. My meds wear off around 7PM - or else I wouldn't be able to sleep. I don't go to bed for several hours, usually 1 AM. From 7PM - 1AM is the worst time for me and food cravings.

I commend all you Moms, and working people. I am only able to make this work right now because I am between jobs, and trying to establish a firm routine of exercise and food before I go back to work. I spend a lot of time preparing and planning meals, and if I had kids and work, I'm not sure I would have the willpower.

You guys are my rock.

cm
  • Hi cm - have you found tricks to counter the cravings? Low cal snacks, exercise, reading, movie watching? I know the thing that works better for me then anything else is deciding if that cookie, candy, etc. is worth the xx minutes of exercise I'd have to do to burn it. Sometimes that answer is yes...and then I go for it. Sometimes the answer is no...and then I try to distract myself with something else or try to find a snack option with the additional mins of exercise :)
  • Sherfoodie
    Sherfoodie Posts: 34 Member
    cmriverside... You may want to ask your doc about the new ADD meds on the market. Stratera builds up in the system, works with your body's sleep cycle and has a bonus side effect of significant wieght loss. Just a thought to help with those nighttime food worries...
  • cmriverside
    Thanks, M4P -

Yeah, I'm on Adderall right now and it works, but I've only been diagnosed for about 9 months, and I understand that Adderall loses its effectiveness in time. I can only bump up my dose one more time, and then maybe a change will be in order.

I'm not working, so my prescription plan isn't the best. When I get back to work, I'll check into Stratera. I'll do some research now. Thank you for your suggestion.

There are so many smart people here...!

~Cheryl
  • I'm having the same problem I eat healthy food and it has so low calories and I do eat I ate 2 sandwiches and 2 potatoes and only about 700 calories in it's 2 pm
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    Thanks, M4P -

Yeah, I'm on Adderall right now and it works, but I've only been diagnosed for about 9 months, and I understand that Adderall loses its effectiveness in time. I can only bump up my dose one more time, and then maybe a change will be in order.

I'm not working, so my prescription plan isn't the best. When I get back to work, I'll check into Stratera. I'll do some research now. Thank you for your suggestion.

~Cheryl

@cmriverside I have questions! Still on adderall after 14 years? <
    zombie thread joke question

And you were brand new to the boards! I feel so nostalgic for you. 😀
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I think 14 years old is the oldest zombie thread I have seen.
  • cmriverside
    glassyo wrote: »
    Thanks, M4P -

@cmriverside I have questions! Still on adderall after 14 years? <
    zombie thread joke question

And you were brand new to the boards! I feel so nostalgic for you. 😀

Lol, I think someone is purposely going after zombie threads.

And hell to the NO on the Adderall. I took it for just a few months. No prescriptions at all anymore since I quit drinking alcohol many years ago. I vowed to get off all the meds, and I did it. :)

FML that you guys find this ish.