What do you do with frozen veggies?

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I agree. I think they get a weird texture. I usually only buy them if fresh veggies are too expensive. And I usually throw them into soup, stew, chili, fried rice, etc. Frozen peas aren't so bad though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I stir fry them in cooking spray with different seasonings or sauces or I use seasonal fresh since the in season fresh vegetables are less expensive and shop the loss leaders for fresh.

I also have to wonder how vegetables can't be worth calories on your calorie budget, OP.

Because I don't like them, lol!

What kind of sauces do you use?

I don't know, even when I season them... I don't enjoy them. It's annoying.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I stir fry them in cooking spray with different seasonings or sauces or I use seasonal fresh since the in season fresh vegetables are less expensive and shop the loss leaders for fresh.

I also have to wonder how vegetables can't be worth calories on your calorie budget, OP.

Pizza sauce, tomato curry sauce (really good with broccoli), soy sauce, lemon juice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I cook them in a microwave and then a little salt or seasoning. 5 minutes and done. Those 5 minute bags are cost effective and easy prep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Season them?
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    I throw zero calorie hot sauce on (franks original or Valentina). I put that *kitten* on everything!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Chop them fine, if you don't like the taste and add them to soups, burgers, meatloaf, or even homemade bread. A cheddar veggie sourdough loaf would be really good! (Just squeeze out a majority of excess moisture, as frozen vegetables can tend to be soggy.)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Why cant you roast frozen vegetables? I do all the time and they're fine.

That part.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    I like to boil/steam frozen spinach with a little salt and lemon juice. Once it's cooked, I drain the water and crumble feta cheese over it and let it rest with the lid on the pot to soften the feta.

I've had pretty good results roasting frozen asparagus. I just put it in a pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it in the oven at 375 degrees, tossing occasionally, until it looks happy.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

Totally understand. Many years ago, there were very few veggies I liked. I liked potatoes...that was about it. Oh and tomatoes, as long as they were in pizza sauce. :p

But once my son came along, I made a concerted effort to start eating better. Started cooking green beans like my mom does, and it was really hard to honestly not like them. Fresh supersweet corn? I can eat a whole bowl of the stuff. I swear corn seriously did not taste that good when I was a kid. ;) Cooked carrots - the ones like in a pot roast? HOLY crap. I LOVE them. I don't know what happened to my taste buds, but thank goodness it did. About 10 years ago my son and my BF (at the time) went out to eat at Outback, and trying to be good, I ordered the seasoned veggies with baked chicken. Now, I had never liked broccoli - ever. I could eat carrots (have to cooked though) but never could stand broccoli. Well they brought my plate, and I stuck my fork in the veggies and rather reluctantly put them in my mouth....and WOW. I mean, I said that out loud. I cleaned that plate. And from that point on, I knew that I had conquered the broccoli thing. I can't eat it crunchy though...I like mine cooked just past that crunchy stage. And of course, I need seasoning. Butter doesn't hurt either. LOL.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I either cook and eat or use them as ice packs on sprains then cook and eat (although the sprains aren't as often as when I was younger. Although many I like in semi cooked for, so will just thaw and eat. Some are also tasty as a cold treat, so sometimes I eat them frozen.

TL;DR: Ice packs when needed, otherwise, I eat them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited February 2017

I eat them every day!!

I buy the individual servings (steamfresh) and pop them in the microwave at work for lunch. Just about every day I have well-salted brown rice, tinned chicken and those steam fresh veggies for lunch.

Sometimes I mix in a LaZuppa "Just Add Water" Lentil soup for a slightly different flavour.

Occasionally, and only if I've been for a long walk, I'll have a LaZuppa Spiced Red Lentil soup which I'll mix with noodles and my steam fresh veggies.

At dinner, we have another couple servings of mixed veggies, usually frozen then steamed. I usually just add salt because I like the flavour of steamed veggies. And BTW - they're still slightly crunchy, I don't like them boiled soggy.

If I'm doing a slow cooker meal, I'll usually use fresh veggies for most of it, then top it up with some frozen veggies, and on "Day 2" of the slow cooker meal, I'll use frozen veggies to fill it out.

Oh, and soups etc. of course, we have soup for dinner about once a week ... two nights ago it was Tom Yum soup (little bit spicy) and my husband just pours the soup from the bag into a large bowl, dumps in heaps of frozen veggies, and pops the whole thing in the microwave to heat. Same with the packaged Indian meal we had last night ... into a bowl with lots of veggies, heated and served over brown ice. Yummy!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Buy them and then ignore them in the freezer for six months till I throw them out. I'm also not a fan.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Throw a couple hundred gram of them in a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil or so, and then mix in some sambal oelek, curry powder and half a cube of bouillon. Mix in some lentils for extra protein.

I did something like this yesterday, so thanks for the suggestion. Dumped a frozen bag of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots into a pan with oil, added some Sriracha sauce, curry powder and turmeric, then splashed in some chicken stock. It was good.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I developed a skillet recipe that includes quinoa, ground beef or turkey and a package of Publix frozen vegetables - roma, california, etc. I'll occasionally through in a can of black beans or diced sweet potatoes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Ok it's really a problem. I just don't like frozen veggies. At least with fresh, I can roast them or something, but frozen is just so bland... bleh!

So I just don't eat enough veggies because it's just not worth the calories to me (I know, I know) and I'm just so sick of them at this point... Fresh is often too expensive. I typically buy frozen broccoli, peas, corn (for the kids), sugar snap peas the most.

I do mashed cauliflower with frozen cauliflower, I've dumped a few bags and made soup... Sometimes I'll sprinkle some parmesan on broccoli but even then... Any other ideas? I use peas and carrots when I make shepherd's pie. Other than that, I'm pretty stumped.

What? If veggies aren't worth the little calories they contain to you, what is?

I am perplexed by this too OP, since I've seen many of your threads where you talk about your extreme hunger related to your cycle. Vegetables (frozen, fresh or whatever) are a great way to add volume and bulk to a meal without a lot of calories, and surely seem like they would help address your hunger issues.

I too was a picky vegetable eater and have worked to add more to my diet. For frozen veggies - I tend to either buy the bags of mixed vegetables to use in soups, stir fries, and sometimes chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker - or I really like a lot of the veggie blends that have sauces with them. I like the Green Giant Steamers that may include squash, zucchini, green beans and carrots in a butter sauce - or there is one I really like with snap peas, carrots, edamame and black beans. A lot of time I will make that to go with a piece of salmon that on nights when I'm just cooking for myself. I also really like the Birdseye Protein Blends that include grains like quinoa and veggies and sauce - I have made those a couple times this week with some shrimp sauteed and served over it.

For those that roast the frozen veggies - has anyone done Brussel sprouts? I'm a relatively new Brussels convert - have had them when they are amazing and have had them when they are just so so. I was thinking cooking them from frozen might be a good way for me to experiment with them, as I've never made them myself.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    My experience roasting frozen brussel sprouts...

They were edible. They were not as crispy as roasted fresh ones. I would eat them again but honestly...it would not be my first choice.

I roast my fresh ones until the outer leaves turn crispy...almost like a chip. I love the leaves that fall off during cooking and turn crunchy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

I eat them every day!!

I buy the individual servings (steamfresh) and pop them in the microwave at work for lunch. Just about every day I have well-salted brown rice, tinned chicken and those steam fresh veggies for lunch.

Sometimes I mix in a LaZuppa "Just Add Water" Lentil soup for a slightly different flavour.

Occasionally, and only if I've been for a long walk, I'll have a LaZuppa Spiced Red Lentil soup which I'll mix with noodles and my steam fresh veggies.

At dinner, we have another couple servings of mixed veggies, usually frozen then steamed. I usually just add salt because I like the flavour of steamed veggies. And BTW - they're still slightly crunchy, I don't like them boiled soggy.

If I'm doing a slow cooker meal, I'll usually use fresh veggies for most of it, then top it up with some frozen veggies, and on "Day 2" of the slow cooker meal, I'll use frozen veggies to fill it out.

Oh, and soups etc. of course, we have soup for dinner about once a week ... two nights ago it was Tom Yum soup (little bit spicy) and my husband just pours the soup from the bag into a large bowl, dumps in heaps of frozen veggies, and pops the whole thing in the microwave to heat. Same with the packaged Indian meal we had last night ... into a bowl with lots of veggies, heated and served over brown ice. Yummy!

I love the steamfresh bags. Relatively quick, super easy.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    frozen brussels sprouts are good in a recipe though. Sauteed in a little bit of evoo or bacon fat with brown sugar and a few bacon bits....mmmmmmm really cuts the bitterness down too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Some, like frozen broccoli, are a lot mushier than fresh. I limit my frozen veg to those that hold up well. If we have broccoli or brussels sprouts, I use fresh. Generally, I microwave the frozen veg in a covered dish with a couple tablespoons of water. If I want them to have more flavor, I dress them like you would a salad. One of my favorites is to toss green beans in honey mustard and dill relish. Balsamic vinegar is great on veggies. Any salad dressing can be tossed on hot veggies.