Good Books

maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
Hey all, I am reading a good book right now, and as per usual, I am dragging it out to avoid gobbling it up too fast. Why? Because finding good books to read is hard! As a constant reader, it takes a steady supply to keep me satisfied. I am always looking for suggestions, so figured, why not on MFP?

So if you are interested, please list some of the good books you've read recently. I like novels, suspense, nothing too "literary", I often find those pretentious and boring. I love Michael Crichton, Phillipa Gregory, anything with a good storyline and writing.

I am reading "The Help" by Katheryn Stockett and it's really good!

Recently, I read "Pillars of the Earth" and it's sequel, "World without End", by Ken Follett. I HIGHLY recommend these!! Some of the best books I've read in many years.

Replies

• Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Ooooh, I just finished that. Can't wait for the movie. I hope it stays true to the book. :smile: I read Heaven is for Real before that. It was really good too. Gave me goosebumps. I am going through withdrawals now because I am reading nothing. :sad: Any suggestions?

Oh, and the Hunger Games series is a must read! I bought them for my teenage son and couldn't put them down.
  • I am currently reading The Passage. It's really good. I had no idea what it was about until i started reading so I don't want to say...
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    The Hunger Games trilogy. It's a must-read.
  • blwood860
    blwood860 Posts: 31
    I've read so many good books this summer so far.

- I've read the first book in The Hunger Games series, and it was great! I'm eagerly awaiting my hold on the second book at the library.
    - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was really good. It takes about 100 pages to get into, but it's worth. I'm currently reading the next book The Girl Who Played With Fire, and it's just as good, if not better.
    - The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    - The Glass Castle
    - Sold

Those are just a few I've read in the past month and a half.
  • maryd523
    Wow, only 5 posts and I already have a bunch of books on my list. Yay! The Glass Castle and the other one she wrote (Jeanette Walls) are both really excellent.

I've never heard of the Hunger Games series, but definitely will be looking for it at the library.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    I've read all the books you mentioned and loved them. I really enjoyed the Stieg Larsson books. From talking to other people, I'm pretty sure that if you start one you'll know pretty quickly whether you'll love it or hate it. Doesn't seem to be too many in between. I would also suggest Melissa Bank's "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing" and Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove." I think my other favorites might a little bit too far down the "literary" path. :wink:
  • JillianElizabeth73
    JillianElizabeth73 Posts: 7 Member
    I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series, they were great. I really want to read the two books you mentioned by Ken Follett. I read Fall of Giants and I cannot wait for the next one in the series to come out, it's by far my favourite book! I also loved all 7 Harry Potter books... I'm still a kid at heart haha.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Anything by:
    Sophie Kinsella
    Marian Keyes
    Jane Green
    Emily Giffin
    Johanna Lindsey
    Kyra Davis
    Sara Paretsky
    Lauren Willig
    Janet Evanovich
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin) series is the best I've ever read. :smile:
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Love, love, love, Sophie Kinsella and her Shopaholic series. I didn't realize that another one has come out. Off to the library tomorrow. :)
  • If you're a fan of humorous books, I'm on such a Christopher Moore kick right now! His writing is hilarious and kooky. So far I've read Lamb and Fluke, and about to move onto either Practical Demonkeeping or Bloodsucking Fiends. I'm also a big fan of Janet Fitch and Tom Robbins - so far everything I've read from them hasn't disappointed :flowerforyou:
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    Boy's life and Swan song both by Robert McCammon. 2 of my favs. Boy's life is a coming-of-age murder mystery/fantasy-hard to describe, but you will not be disappointed! Swan song is akin to The Stand by Stephen King, while being completely different... Also Lottery by Patricia Wood. I was mad at the main characters family for days! I could to on and on... I am a librarian! But my best advice is to go to your local library! They will know all the good books. If you like a certain author, they can even look up other authors who write similarly.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    The Hunger Games trilogy. It's a must-read.

Thanks! Just added it to my Amazon queue! :drinker:
  • maryd523
    Love, love, love, Sophie Kinsella and her Shopaholic series. I didn't realize that another one has come out. Off to the library tomorrow. :)

It's funny. I read all her Shopaholic books and the other ones like "Remember Me?" and "Twenties Girl", and loved all of them. However, I HATED her latest book, "Shopaholic and Mini Shopaholic" or whatever. Could NOT stand it. I didn't even finish it. Becky irritated the hell out of me and I couldn't believe anything that went on.

So...let me know what you think! :)
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin) series is the best I've ever read. :smile:

This.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    bump
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Gotta bump this topic

Currently reading Lee Childs - he has many "Reacher" novels, and my Dad got me hooked.
  • megansmom311
    megansmom311 Posts: 168
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is pretty fantastic.
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    If you're a fan of humorous books, I'm on such a Christopher Moore kick right now! His writing is hilarious and kooky. So far I've read Lamb and Fluke, and about to move onto either Practical Demonkeeping or Bloodsucking Fiends. I'm also a big fan of Janet Fitch and Tom Robbins - so far everything I've read from them hasn't disappointed :flowerforyou:

I'm also a huge Christopher Moore fan. I just finished re-reading Lamb and I also loved THe Stupidest Angel and A Dirty Job.
    Some other favs are: Water for Elephants, The Lovely Bones (read this one several times), Secret Daughter and anything by Jodi Piccoult or Dianne Chamberlain.
  • blwood860
    blwood860 Posts: 31
    The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing is one of my all-time favs. Melissa Banks (the author) has a new book out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also, to whomever loves the Hunger Games, Stephen King wrote a novel that is similar to this MANY years ago called The Long Walk. Basically, every year 100 boys walk to their deaths (literally) until there's only one standing who is the winner. Same basic idea as The Hunger Games, only minus the futuristic dystopia setting, so it seems more realistic.