Needing some advice...and a moment to vent.

2»

Replies

• Puppylynn
    Puppylynn Posts: 5 Member
    I'm really excited about these ideas, and I'm really glad there's a group here for help. I can already tell that I'm going to need to be very mindful of sodium. I've never used a scale for food before either, so I think it's time to start. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to feel healthy and pain free again.

I'm very curious about the sodium intake. I like the idea of chicken broth, especially in this weather! I'm curious, though, about the type of salt to increase. I've read people just adding more table salt, and other people insist it needs to be sea salt. Does it matter?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Puppylynn wrote: »
    I'm curious, though, about the type of salt to increase. I've read people just adding more table salt, and other people insist it needs to be sea salt. Does it matter?

I say NO. It doesn't matter. If you have table salt, use table salt. If you have sea salt, use sea salt. I personally see no reason to go out a buy a bunch of specialty food items for a simple diet. I have both because I cook a lot. I use either. Whichever happens to be closest. They have just about the same amount of sodium per equal measure.

• Puppylynn
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm curious, though, about the type of salt to increase. I've read people just adding more table salt, and other people insist it needs to be sea salt. Does it matter?

I say NO. It doesn't matter. If you have table salt, use table salt. If you have sea salt, use sea salt. I personally see no reason to go out a buy a bunch of specialty food items for a simple diet. I have both because I cook a lot. I use either. Whichever happens to be closest. They have just about the same amount of sodium per equal measure.

Thank you! I'm getting a week's worth of meals tonight, and I wasn't sure if sea salt needed to be added.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I only use sea salt or Himalayan salt, I refill my grinders when needed. But I have done this long before I started LCHF. I have always preferred the taste over normal table salt.
  • GorgeousMa
    GorgeousMa Posts: 34 Member
    Hi there!!! Atkins, Low Carb, Keto has been alot easier for me. And I have done every diet under the sun, I get to eat until im full and satisfied and the food is delicious too! I can have what I want just a different variation of it. Cream Cheese Pancakes are delicious , no tears I cant have the real ones! And instead of chips I eat Pork rinds! Yum too!
    My only downfall is Wine, Thanksgiving it and I fell off and seems to be hard gettng back on so we can do this together. I so want to be 135 and I am determined to do it! :0)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and the Keto diet, so I wanted to take a sec to introduce myself. My name is Amber, and I've decided to try and change my life for the better. I'm roughly 190 lbs at the age of 24. I have severe back and knee pain from all of this excess weight, and I'm ashamed of my physical condition. I desperately need to feel healthy... the rest will fall into place.
    I first saw the keto diet on Pinterest, and read more online. It sounds like a diet that can provide great results, but more importantly, one that I can sustain. I have to beat my laziness, but some high maintenance diets out there don't make it easy.
    I was wondering, what is everyone's experience? Has it been harder or easier to follow than other diets? What motivates you? Also, does anyone have any tips for a newbie like me? Things you didn't read online but discovered for yourself?

Thank you for taking some time to help me out, and please feel free to add me!

Welcome and I hope everything goes well for you!
    I've been happy with keto. Definitely take time to read The Launch Pad section.
    Overall for me it's been easier to follow than other diets. More satisfying, fewer issues with cravings, stomach issues, etc. I lost weight well and now I'm maintaining with LCHF.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Welcome to the "Awesome" group ....I wish you the best on your journey :)
  • Puppylynn
    Welcome to the club!!

I'm only about a month old here too. The results that I have achieved doing Keto in just 30 short days is truly amazing. I've done Atkins for years & also tried low fat diets & juice fasts before in the past. I've spent countless hours doing P90X & Insanity too. And I've never lost this much body fat this fast & this easily EVER. I seriously can't believe that I've never even heard about this Ketogenic diet until just a couple months ago. Keto is just pure awesome!!

I personally keep my net carb count around 16 grams per day. I also use those keto strips once a day just because seeing the color change is like a little extra encouragement for me -as confirmation that I'm still on the right track. Plus, I take pictures & measurements of my waist size, weight, body fat %, muscle %, and water % once a week. I like seeing & comparing the numbers of my progress -for extra motivation.

I have found that pepperoni is my perfect "go to" snack when I'm needing a little more fat to catch up on my ideal fat intake percentage ratios. Also, the fastest way that I've found to boost my energy levels up & keep them up (and quench any hunger) is with that bulletproof / keto coffee (salted butter, MCT Oil & coffee all blended together).

There is so much good information here. And as you have already experienced, this seems to be a very supportive & helpful group of people that hang out here. I like that most everyone here has common goals & maintain a positive, open atmosphere. You're definitely in the right spot!! I know I'm glad I found this place!!

That's some great advice! It's good to hear about what's been working for others, and to get some good inspiration. I just did all my measurements and got my groceries tonight, so I am more ready than spongebob! I've read so many posts about people curing pain, illnesses, depression, you name it, using this diet. To me, that's the most important, and it's inspiring to know I can achieve that goal. I can't wait for the day that I don't wake up in pain, and actually get a good night's sleep. I wish you and everyone the best of luck!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    My doctor has confirmed (a couple of years ago now) that the change I made to eating keto has eradicated all signs of prediabetes. I plan to avoid it as long as I can, hopefully for good.

I also have less pain in my joints, and I can do much more than I ever have been able to before. I'm just sorry I waited so long to get my life back.

A sobering story, but with a happy ending. Nice going.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and the Keto diet, so I wanted to take a sec to introduce myself. My name is Amber, and I've decided to try and change my life for the better. I'm roughly 190 lbs at the age of 24. I have severe back and knee pain from all of this excess weight, and I'm ashamed of my physical condition. I desperately need to feel healthy... the rest will fall into place.
    I first saw the keto diet on Pinterest, and read more online. It sounds like a diet that can provide great results, but more importantly, one that I can sustain. I have to beat my laziness, but some high maintenance diets out there don't make it easy.
    I was wondering, what is everyone's experience? Has it been harder or easier to follow than other diets? What motivates you? Also, does anyone have any tips for a newbie like me? Things you didn't read online but discovered for yourself?

Thank you for taking some time to help me out, and please feel free to add me!

Girl, I am admittedly the world's laziest person. At my heaviest I was 162 lbs and that was a little over a year ago. Not terribly heavy but my BMI did show that I was slightly overweight. Most importantly, I was living a lifestyle of laziness and I'm fortunate enough to realize if I didn't change my eating habits first and foremost, it would only get worse. I'm talking, Chips-a-Hoy for dinner because I didn't feel like cooking. Or ordering pizza even when I have left overs because I'd rather wait 45 minutes for delivery without having to move from my chair playing video games versus spending the 5 minutes to go downstairs and heat up food! It was bad (and I'm still pretty bad but it's better).

First attempting a low-fat diet with plenty of green smoothies, working out, "healthy" multigrains/quinoa/sweet potatoes, etc I was not losing very much weight and I was even working out pretty consistently. Probably because I was constantly hungry which probably led to overeating but mainly I feel because of the whole insulin hormonal balance effect on lipolysis was stopping my weight loss. Jumping forward, I started keto one year ago (as I type this I realize this week is my 1 year anniversary). I would like to note that I have done keto on and off this whole year, sometimes taking breaks from low-carb all together for months at a time especially near times of travel for work or vacation, out of laziness of course.

I find keto to be the best WOE in terms of all the benefits that it provides. I don't have much weight to lose and I don't have any health concerns but I truly feel this will help me live a longer, healthier, happier and more energized life. The hardest thing about this WOE is that I am almost required to cook all of my meals. I really struggle with discipline and overall laziness. I really hate cooking, cleaning up after cooking, leaving my house to go to the grocery story, small talk with the cashiers at the grocery store, traffic on the way to the grocery store and generally everything about preparing meals... In terms of fast food, there's not a whole lot of options outside of salad, burger with no bun, and lettuce wraps. I have been avoiding sit down restaurants because I am still battling self control issues (I just want all of the foods). Also before with a higher carb but low fat diet, I did a lot of freezer pasta bag meal type stuff because it was so easy and delicious and didn't require me to really cook (just heat up a sauce pan). I have found it much harder to locate items that are ready-made that are keto friendy so that requires me to develop a regular grocery shopping and cooking routine.

So I'm personally committed this year to staying more disciplined with LCHF, I know sometimes it won't be keto. I have seen the results when I have stuck to this diet. I have lost about 22 lbs which in a year is great, but for me that was really only confined to maybe 6-9 months. I don't have much to lose, in fact I'm pretty much at my goal weight but I want to work on BF. I can only imagine where I'd be in another year.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    I love keto because it's so easy to do as far as food prep goes. Make sure to keep lots of different canned sea food options on hand as well as canned olives, etc. Grabbing a can of something while heading out the door is so handy. When making bacon I also freeze some to grab as a snack too. Avocados are super healthy and fast as are nuts, cheeses, etc. If you tend to be lazy about food prep you've come to the right place, lol. WELCOME!!
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    @Puppylynn Looks like you are off to a great start!