Insomnia's messing up my diet!!

So I havent been sleeping well since the past 1.5 weeks and that is really messing up my hunger signals. Like today, I got hungry before lunch so had 2 glasses of water and some salad but after lunch ended up snacking on some sweets and fried snacks. I am feeling so bloated now eeek ;( I even use castor oil and almond oil to massage skin around my eyes to get good night sleep but it's not helping either :(

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Melatonin, 3 mg, is my little sleep inducer.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    I'm beginning to have insomnia due to a medication. It is also messing up my diet because now I'm hungry at different times. Its been difficult to spread the calories out throughout the day.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    I haven't refilled my prescription for psychiatric meds because I want to quit being dependent on them to fall asleep. honestly, I used to sleep like 10-11 hours a day now I sleep fitfully. Is melatonon an OTC med?
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    edited February 2017
    Have you spoken with your prescriber about going off the psych meds? That is generally not advised unless you've worked out a plan with the prescribing doctor to titrate down safely. Insomnia may be a withdrawal side effect. I'd talk with your doc before making any other changes.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Iv been having the same problem, Even with melatonin. Best advice i can say is just procrastinate. When the cravings hit say i can eat it, In an hour/two. Does no good mentally to just say i cant have it at all but procrastinating atleast makes up for some of the extra hours and spreads the calories out to average out a bit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes, lack of sleep certainly makes it more difficult to stay on the right track.

Sublingual melatonin puts me right out in 15 minutes. My problem is STAYING asleep. I stop drinking fluids at dinner, use earplugs, etc., etc, but for the last month have been waking up every day around 4 PM.

Interestingly, I wore a two week heart monitor that shows a lot of spikes at around 6 AM, which is the time that I am getting or have gotten back to sleep. (I get up for the day at 8:15.) Will discuss this with a cardiologist Friday, but am throwing it out there in case anyone is familiar with this.
    So I havent been sleeping well since the past 1.5 weeks and that is really messing up my hunger signals. Like today, I got hungry before lunch so had 2 glasses of water and some salad but after lunch ended up snacking on some sweets and fried snacks. I am feeling so bloated now eeek ;( I even use castor oil and almond oil to massage skin around my eyes to get good night sleep but it's not helping either :(

How many calories was your breakfast and lunch and what percent of that was protein? Insufficient protein can also contribute to the urge to snack.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited February 2017
    Sorry, you are going through this. Insomnia is the worst! Yes, my diet is always terrible when I can't sleep. I have suffered from insomnia on and off for years. I sometimes resort to sleeping medication but here are a few non-medication related things that helped me improve my sleep quality:
    • Remove all electronics from the bedroom. No television, tablets, laptops or cell phones. Buy a cheep alarm clock instead of relying on your cell alarm.
    • If you are lying in bed awake for more than 20 minutes - get up. Laying in bed worrying about being awake is just stressful. Go in another room and read a boring book, do a mundane chore (like sorting a junk drawer), etc. Just make sure the activity you pick is something quiet, non-strenuous, and kind of boring. Keep the lights dim while you do whatever it is.
    • Drink herbal tea or some kind of warm broth based soup.
    • Take a hot bath.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I haven't refilled my prescription for psychiatric meds because I want to quit being dependent on them to fall asleep. honestly, I used to sleep like 10-11 hours a day now I sleep fitfully. Is melatonon an OTC med?

How long were you taking these meds?

I agree with the person who said it's a good idea to talk with your doctor about your psych meds- going off them cold turkey might be causing your sleeplessness.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    [quote="ksheeek ;( I even use castor oil and almond oil to massage skin around my eyes to get good night sleep but it's not helping either :([/quote]

How many calories was your breakfast and lunch and what percent of that was protein? Insufficient protein can also contribute to the urge to snack.[/quote]

My breakfast is usually a 2 egg omelette apple and coffee and lunch is chapati+curry and salad. I know I don't hit my protein goal coz I hate cooking chicken at home lol and dont eat mutton. I eat plenty of lentils. What else should i eat to get more protein?

• PeachesNcreamgal
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I agree with the person who said it's a good idea to talk with your doctor about your psych meds- going off them cold turkey might be causing your sleeplessness.

I have been taking these meds since 2013 and I really want to come off it! My homeopathic counsellor has assured me he will reduce the dosage of these meds and i am meeting him this week
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I have been taking these meds since 2013 and I really want to come off it! My homeopathic counsellor has assured me he will reduce the dosage of these meds and i am meeting him this week

You need to ensure that you are seeing an appropriately qualified professional (ie. an actual doctor, not any kind of counsellor and especially not homeopathic) to talk about reducing or changing psychiatric medications.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have no problem falling asleep but once I'm up in the middle of the night (I have two pets and a very noisy/fidgety husband, so let's say it's pretty much every night), it's extremely hard to go back to sleep. I got woken up at 4.43am this morning and it was over...

What helps me is to start the day with black coffee, and just delay my first meal as much as possible. When I can, I just go to the gym right away, so I'm busy for 2 hours and don't start eating. It really helps to wait until you're really hungry to start eating for the day too. That being said, I'm usually fine with an earlier dinner on those days as well... so it helps a little bit. But you got to stick to filling foods that you're really in the mood for... it really helps (so you'll be full and happy and less likely to go for the snack cabinet). Salads just never cut it for me either unless it's completely loaded with veggies and has enough protein and fat (and I don't waste calories on dressing, just a bit of vinegar and mustard).