Losing 37 lbs by July realistic??

I'm 182 right now, and want to be at least 145 by july. Right now I've been kinda stuck at 182...hoping to bust through soon. But because I've been holding here for awhile it has me a little frustrated and thinking it may be a reach to make that 7.4 lbs each month. Any tips, or advice in general?

Replies

• nicholajaneryan
    nicholajaneryan Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2017
    Your progress is gonna slow down a tonne the closer you get to your goal, however...
    You might lose 7lbs or so in your first month as it will include some "water weight".
    I'd recommend aiming for a more reasonable goal so that you don't get disheartened. Maybe just 0.5 - 1lb per week would be more realistic?
    Good luck to you on your journey :smile:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    My goal is to lose 10# by July. But it's the LAST 10#. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    no, it is not realistic.

best case scenario - 2 lbs per week, and that slows drastically once you get closer to goal. and 2 lbs a week , to lose CONSISTENTLY, is already very challenging.

• Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2017
    Its actually 21 weeks I want to hopefully be down 37 lbs. Have a event I'm going to. Which would be less than 2 lbs a week by a fair bit. And I understand to lose consistenty 2 lbs each week isn't realistic. But 5.5 months is a fair bit of time...I've got to get close in that time.
  • dori0821
    dori0821 Posts: 1 Member
    Pale_green; I am exactly where you are and I want to lose the same amount if not more. I am disgusted with the amount of weight I've gained in the past year. I just recently returned to fitness pal and started logging all my food again. I've already lost some. I'm at 180 and want to be at 140 and maintain that weight the way I always did before turning 40. I'd love to have you as a friend on here as I do not have any fitness pal friends. Maybe we can help each other and bounce ideas off of each other.
  • Pale_Green
    edited February 2017
    I am always a bit perplexed by people worrying about their body weight for certain upcoming events. No offense meant - it just seems odd to me. I mean, once the event is over, what is left to motivate you to continue to lose and/or keep the weight off? Shouldn't the goal be to look at it more long term than that? Seems like a lot of effort just to impress people for one day.

Anyway, it sounds a bit lofty of a goal to lose that much that quickly. If you plug in a lb a week into MFP and get started right away, even if you don't make it, you'd still be smaller by then than your current size, and you could find a nice flattering outfit. Then when the event is over, you'd still be able to continue to lose.

No offense taken :) Its more a incentive. And that's a number I'm comfortable with and its a round number. Of course after the event the next goal is to maintain or continue to lose. It's not that I don't have a long range view, I totally do. I started at 235...having a short range view doesn't mean there isn't a long range view as well :)
  • Pale_Green
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, I started losing in mid-April 2015, and by the end of September (about 5.5 months), had lost 43 pounds (183 to 140).

Most of the time, I didn't significantly exceed the "1% of body weight per week loss" rule of thumb. There was one bad (too fast) month in there (August) when I believed the online calorie requirements estimators, and lost too fast, to my clear detriment (fatigued, weak), but I adjusted (ate more) as soon as I realized there was a problem.

However, this was not my last 42 pounds - I still had 20 to go to goal, and that took me until the following January/February.

So, is it possible? I guess so. Is it a good idea, particularly if 145 is your goal weight? Based on my experience, probably not.

I'm in with the "set a moderate weight loss rate & see where you end up" crowd. If you're trying to lose in order to look good at an event, consider this: You want to arrive there looking healthy, strong, with a vibrant complexion, glossy hair, vibrant personality, etc. By losing too fast, you risk those things. Gaunt, pale, lifeless hair, low energy - not a good look, no matter how thin one is.

Thanks for your input. And personal experience. I guess I still feel BIG BIG and so this is why I ask how realistic. When I was heavier than I am now...no one bats a eyelash at a 2 lb loss a week. So its good to know that even at 180s (which I still feel is extremely overweight) one can't expect big motivational losses. I will just keep plugging along like always some progress is better than none. I do put some emphasis on certain scale numbers, cause those are the numbers I know I looked and felt best at...its the reason I focus on reaching them. :) But its not the most important thing for sure to reach that number...progress is.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    If you want an aggressive but realistic plan, join a Diet Bet for 6 months. The goal is 10%, but it's 3% for each of the first two months, then 2%, then 1%, then 1%, then maintain 1 month. It's tough but doable.

And I found putting money on it really motivating. I don't really care if others don't need it, it gets me moving and keeps me focused.
  • Pale_Green
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If you want an aggressive but realistic plan, join a Diet Bet for 6 months. The goal is 10%, but it's 3% for each of the first two months, then 2%, then 1%, then 1%, then maintain 1 month. It's tough but doable.

And I found putting money on it really motivating. I don't really care if others don't need it, it gets me moving and keeps me focused.

I've done weight loss challenges before and it was fun. And it did motivate and I didn't relapse after either :) Oh and I won that challenge too which was nice. Its something to consider lol
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Pale_Green wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »

I've done weight loss challenges before and it was fun. And it did motivate and I didn't relapse after either :) Oh and I won that challenge too which was nice. Its something to consider lol
    It's not necessary for everyone, but I need something to keep me in line longer than a few weeks. I figure by the end of 6 months, I'll have new habits and be in a place to maintain. It's a significant loss, but at a healthy rate, and I like that it tapers off at the end. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    FWIW, I started losing in mid-April 2015, and by the end of September (about 5.5 months), had lost 43 pounds (183 to 140).

Most of the time, I didn't significantly exceed the "1% of body weight per week loss" rule of thumb. There was one bad (too fast) month in there (August) when I believed the online calorie requirements estimators, and lost too fast, to my clear detriment (fatigued, weak), but I adjusted (ate more) as soon as I realized there was a problem.

However, this was not my last 42 pounds - I still had 20 to go to goal, and that took me until the following January/February.

So, is it possible? I guess so. Is it a good idea, particularly if 145 is your goal weight? Based on my experience, probably not.

I'm in with the "set a moderate weight loss rate & see where you end up" crowd. If you're trying to lose in order to look good at an event, consider this: You want to arrive there looking healthy, strong, with a vibrant complexion, glossy hair, vibrant personality, etc. By losing too fast, you risk those things. Gaunt, pale, lifeless hair, low energy - not a good look, no matter how thin one is.

Thanks for your input. And personal experience. I guess I still feel BIG BIG and so this is why I ask how realistic. When I was heavier than I am now...no one bats a eyelash at a 2 lb loss a week. So its good to know that even at 180s (which I still feel is extremely overweight) one can't expect big motivational losses. I will just keep plugging along like always some progress is better than none. I do put some emphasis on certain scale numbers, cause those are the numbers I know I looked and felt best at...its the reason I focus on reaching them. :) But its not the most important thing for sure to reach that number...progress is.

Your experience may vary, depending on height and body composition, but that drop from the 180s to the 150s (high 20-ish to low 30-ish pounds lost) really made a huge difference in how I looked and felt - probably a bigger incremental positive difference than the rest of the loss down to 120 did, for me.

If you use a combination of eating and exercise, it can help you look your best, especially if strength-building exercise is in the mix. (Please note: I'm not saying "Don't eat back exercise". I always ate mine back. I'm saying "Exercise while losing, and fuel it adequately to look your best and be your healthiest - and strong & healthy does look best.")
  • Pale_Green

Your experience may vary, depending on height and body composition, but that drop from the 180s to the 150s (high 20-ish to low 30-ish pounds lost) really made a huge difference in how I looked and felt - probably a bigger incremental positive difference than the rest of the loss down to 120 did, for me.

If you use a combination of eating and exercise, it can help you look your best, especially if strength-building exercise is in the mix. (Please note: I'm not saying "Don't eat back exercise". I always ate mine back. I'm saying "Exercise while losing, and fuel it adequately to look your best and be your healthiest - and strong & healthy does look best.")

I am naturally muscular, thank goodness but I should start to soon add in weight training. Currently still doing mostly cardio. But I likely would be the same as you with biggest difference would be the going from 180 to 150. My cap seems to be 135 before I start looking too thin. I'm solid even for my 5'4 frame lol... at 135 I was a size 4. So I don't think I want to go any lighter than 135. Cause as well my maintenance calories would be so low. Thanks for your advice...for sure don't want to age myself prematurely by dropping too quickly..which is what would happen. I'd just look older :neutral: that would suck lol
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I would target getting unstuck and figure out why you are not losing before I set an aggressive date for the loss.

Target -6 lbs for the next 4 wks and figure out the changes to make it happen.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    my plan is to lose 1.3 lbs/week, so by july, i should have lost 32.2 lbs if my plan continues to work as well as it has so far. so no, i don't think your goal is outrageous. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I'm 182 right now, and want to be at least 145 by july. Right now I've been kinda stuck at 182...hoping to bust through soon. But because I've been holding here for awhile it has me a little frustrated and thinking it may be a reach to make that 7.4 lbs each month. Any tips, or advice in general?

Nope. That is not realistic. As you get smaller you will need to lower your calorie defict, and weight will come off slower.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    It's impossible to tell if you will lose exactly that amount of weight by exactly that date.
    But you know what... it really doesn't matter.
    What matters is that you make changes that will get you moving more and eating better (eg the right amount of nutritious food that makes you feel good). Maybe you will only lose 32 or 27 or 19 pounds, but you will be feeling and looking a whole lot better regardless of what the scales say.