TV is hard to watch without eating

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Take up a hobby, like knitting or scrapbooking; something to keep your hands busy.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    turn down the tv so that you can only hear it if u aren't crunching :)
  • dewdrop129
    dewdrop129 Posts: 19 Member
    I have the same problem. I realized the other day that, I really want to watch tv when I eat. AND really I want to eat when I watch tv! lol
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    It's just a bad habit you have to break.

I would suggest finding something else to do with your hands while you watch tv.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I know it sounds very lame but I like to do Sudoku or something that makes me focus or reading magazine, news on phone.

I've learned in this weight loss journey that multitasking is my best friend. When I workout, I listen to music and read subtitle on the news channel and pretty much am planning the day or thinking about something solid.

All food must be eaten at the kitchen table. If I really want a snack I go for a few bites of cheese and an apple with a lot of water/tea or air popped popcorn.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I either fold laundry, use my mini elliptical, or check email/fb/etc. But I do often save 200 or so calories for a snack.
  • Divineglory73
    Divineglory73 Posts: 4 Member
    TV is the devil! In the evening I like to keep up with my shows and the commericals of food are flooding for a reason, it's sad. I understand how food becomes an addiction. Watching TV can be tempting to eat.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    It got easier once I started keeping my hands busy.

My friends are quite happy too... lots and lots of home made sweaters, scarves and hats. Currently working on a lacy summer dress, knit using very very very fine cotton twine, meaning it's taking pretty much forever :smiley:

I also tend to jog in place during the commercial (the time I would usually go to the kitchen and grab snacks) or jog in place in the kitchen while I'm waiting for the water to boil for my tea. Trust me... it's hard preparing snacks when you're moving up and down without pause.

All of this said, I have some calories ear-marked each day for the after dinner, I'm sitting in front of the TV snack. :smile:
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    I have an aerobic step in front of my tv and do that instead of snacking.

Nice!

Damn, now I feel like a total slacker!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Kdewit03 wrote: »
    I am finding it very hard to watch tv and not eat.....how do you guys do it?

I do other things while watching TV. I've never been able to just sit and watch TV.

I might ride my trainer (bicycle on device that holds it in place) for anywhere from 30-75 min.
    I might do housework.
    I might do university homework.
    I might work on any number of other projects.

When I'm busy, I can't be eating too.

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    We watch tv while we have supper.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    stop watching tv. it kills your brain cells, anyways.
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    I also think that having your dinner a little later helps. I live in France, which has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world despite their pastries and sauces. (I gained most of my weight on visits to family in the USA.) One of the reasons they don't snack in the evening is because the dinner hour is between 7 and 8 pm. What I am doing is planning a light MFP friendly snack for around 5 pm, like hummus and vegetable or one really chocolately cookie, which I preplan into my calorie quota for the day. That tides me over to the dinner hour and I don't have any yen for food after that, whether I watch TV or not.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Or come at it from a different angle - if you like eating whilst watching Tv shows and you are spending too many calories doing that......
    Instead of stopping the snacking, change to low calorie snacks - carrot pieces, green veggie pieces etc - won't be too hard to fit In those sort of calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    That is so funny in a sad way, or sad in a funny way, I'm not sure.
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member

The average American watches 4 hours of TV every day....and people don't "have time" to exercise...haha
    As for your question, I gave up TV.
    I have those 4 extra hours....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

The average American watches 4 hours of TV every day....and people don't "have time" to exercise...haha
    As for your question, I gave up TV.
    I have those 4 extra hours....

yeeeeeeeeeees

my tv is always ON, but just as background noise. what is actually on it, makes no difference. i semi pay attention to the news in the morning and evening and thats about it. there are no actual shows, i watch.

okay, so my fiance and i did binge watch the entire series of breaking bad over xmas week (we were both off). but that was highly unusual for us LOLOL
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Cup. Of. Tea.

Planned small snack.

More tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I realized that I just really don't enjoy the food I eat while watching TV as much as the food I eat when I don't.

Just think about it next time - you have no idea how many times I eat something while watching TV then realized that I didn't actually appreciate any of it because I was too busy paying attention to the TV (that being said - I like focusing on what I watch and typically won't do anything else at the same time).

Or get a stationary bike, or run in place while you watch. Hard to eat while doing either of those things.